[BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jeimuzu73

Re: [BETA] Danimator -- "A friggin' animation program!"

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Finally. just what I need so I can begin making some wildweasel-styled Offset animations for my mods.
The first thing I have with the program is that it keeps showing me the empty frame TNT1A0 even though I've loaded some sprites on it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

More feature suggestions:

- show currently loaded project in titlebar
- show number of currently viewed frame
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

This is awesome
I always hated the fact that I had to go back to ZDoom to check out the offsets I made

Keep up the hard work :D
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Bumparoo from the graveyard.
Nash wrote:Finally got around to trying this program, holy fuck this is amazing. I also made a lot of noise about wishing someone made an OFFSET animation program in the past, you've literally changed the game this time. :D

Anyway, I have some suggestions, sorry if these have already been mentioned:

1) Duplicate previous frame
2) Set tics for all frames

That's about it for me I think, my usage isn't exactly heavy, I just want to composite offset-based animations and this tool does it perfectly for now. This program has found its permanent home in my Doom/Utils directory. ;D

Would be nice to have but I can live without it for now:

1) Support for scaled sprites (not sure how this would work; supply the TEXTURES lump that Danimator must read from?)
2) Mousewheel zoom in/out

(on a a slightly related note) I suggest you get this up on Github so it may not be lost due to catastrophic failure...

Bug: Embed settings doesn't seem to be saved. I had to go in the config.cfg and manually change the values to false.
Nash wrote:More feature suggestions:

- show currently loaded project in titlebar
- show number of currently viewed frame
These features, and others, were planned for the next beta release, along with hopefully getting the source code out. Sadly, progress has been very slow since I attend college year round and now the holidays are coming, so I'll be working easy 6 days a week (I already work 5-6, so that transition might have already happened!)

As for the bug, I'm guessing it's probably something to do with the default configuration settings. I'll debug that and fix it up for the next beta. There is also a bug I found myself where the timeline frames don't load properly when opening a project. This can be worked around for now by adding a frame and then removing it after, or by changing states iirc.

I'm glad you like it so much, though. :D
MJ79 wrote:Finally. just what I need so I can begin making some wildweasel-styled Offset animations for my mods.
The first thing I have with the program is that it keeps showing me the empty frame TNT1A0 even though I've loaded some sprites on it.
I admit that no documentation yet makes this a bit unclear; when you load the sprites into the project, you have to double-click the sprite name you want on the current frame to apply it. For now, you'll have to do this frame-by-frame. A bit tedious, but I have plans to improve this coming up.
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Spoiler:
Did some small layout changes, and was testing out the zoom functionality. Bigger features (and perhaps more screenshots) coming soon™
Nash

Post by Nash »

Will old project files be compatible with the new version?
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Nash wrote:Will old project files be compatible with the new version?
Short answer: yes.
Longer answer: I haven't changed the save format yet, but will be doing so before release. But I intend to leave the old loader code in for compatibility with old projects. Once you save the project again in the next beta, it'll convert to the new format.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

TEXTURES support would be so kickass. I have an interest in making a super optimized set of weapons where like... 20 frames are like composed of the same arm frame and up to four round animations.
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Spoiler:
More bits of progress, this one showing off the stencil testing feature, which will cut off the sprite if it goes outside of the visual area.
I know it seems like not much is being changed; there is a lot of underlying code getting reworked all around, and bigger features are being worked on. Be patient!
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Spoiler: A nice surprise for many...
:wink:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sick!
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Spoiler:
Doing some tests with that new-fangled editor of sorts...
dimfallen

Post by dimfallen »

When i try to export it to decorate it gives me this error.
Attachments
12.PNG
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

dimfallen wrote:When i try to export it to decorate it gives me this error.
I was able to reproduce this quite easily: it has to do with your sprite name being only 1 character long (the exporter expects it to be at least as long as what is needed for a DECORATE definition so e.g. it needs 4 letters + 1 frame letter + 1 rotation number (0 since it's a hud sprite)).

I'm not sure the best way to handle preventing this though. I could force the user to rename the sprite if it doesn't at least meet that criteria, since otherwise the Decorate code generated would be inaccurate anyway since the sprite name is unusable. Does this sound like a viable solution?
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

maybe it could be a warning instead of an error.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”