[Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
XCVG

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Post by XCVG »

No, at least not right away. Pulsar was intended to be a minimum-change derivative of GZDoom that would gradually evolve if I gained the time and skill to do so.

Pulsar was always a maybe thing, and probably would have ended up providing only what was necessary for Ascension Revolution. I'm even more hesitant to start work on Pulsar now that GLOOME is here and Revolution might not happen.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

ibm5155 wrote: I just wanted to add an heretic like loading screen, I think I'll just need to change the Game = Doom to Game = Heretic (and also, change alot of stuff inside of Heretic config...

This is the part that makes confuse to me, I still couldn't found how to load that ascii animation, is that hardcoded on the binary code or on the engine.pk3?
GAMEINFO lets you set a startup screen type. To quote the page itself...
STARTUPTYPE = "<game name>"
Allows to choose the startup screen will be displayed. Valid values are Doom (text), Heretic, Hexen and Strife. This overrides the game default.
You'll also need to supply an ANSI screen lump called "LOADING" to use as the background; it's set up the exact same way as ENDOOM. Unfortunately, the only limitation is that you cannot change where the loading bars are placed.

(BTW you don't need several iwads for different languages, the LANGUAGE lump lets you set translations for every string and picks which one to use depending on the user's system language)
Revae

Post by Revae »

Pretty rad man. Get excite.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

TehRealSalt wrote:Unfortunately, the only limitation is that you cannot change where the loading bars are placed.
This might actually be trivial to implement as a GAMEINFO property. I'll see about adding that. :)
XCVG wrote:-Implementation of the controversial ConsoleCommand function and possibly some other insecure or unsafe functions.
Why is this needed? I really want to know what people want of ConsoleCommand that couldn't be done by adding new functions.
ZDWH wrote:-Ditch aspect ratio correction across the board (it looks like this can be made configurable now)
Indeed this is already doable with the GameInfo block in MAPINFO now.

Code: Select all

gameinfo
{
    pixelratio = 1.0
}
Gez

Post by Gez »

XCVG wrote:-Implementation of the controversial ConsoleCommand function and possibly some other insecure or unsafe functions.
Instead of implementing ConsoleCommand and using ConsoleCommand("foobar blah blah") in a script, why not implement foobar as an ACS command doing the same thing as the foobar console command, and having Foobar(blah, blah) in a script?
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Would it be possible to start merging the feature suggestions with GLOOME?
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

Gez wrote:
Instead of implementing ConsoleCommand and using ConsoleCommand("foobar blah blah") in a script, why not implement foobar as an ACS command doing the same thing as the foobar console command, and having Foobar(blah, blah) in a script?
It's a stopgap measure more than anything. Implementing foobar may be fairly trivial, but implementing foobar, foo, bar, tbar, xbar, mybar, yourbar, etc is less so. Implementing that one functions provides immediate access to a lot of capabilities that may or may not be slowly implemented over time. I understand why it hasn't been done for ZDoom, but it's assumed that a game dev is not going to do something malicious- or will do it anyway.
Marrub wrote:
Why is this needed? I really want to know what people want of ConsoleCommand that couldn't be done by adding new functions.
See the above. Nothing, but those functions may or may not be added and we may have to wait a while to get them, whereas ConsoleCommand gives us a lot of capability right out of the gate.
Marrub wrote:
ZDWH wrote:-Ditch aspect ratio correction across the board (it looks like this can be made configurable now)
Indeed this is already doable with the GameInfo block in MAPINFO now.

Code: Select all

gameinfo
{
    pixelratio = 1.0
}
I don't think this affects the HUD or models, though it's been a while since I've looked at it.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

XCVG wrote:I don't think this affects the HUD or models, though it's been a while since I've looked at it.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect models, but I did make it stretch view sprites accordingly. It can look pretty funny if extremely stretched.
XCVG wrote:Implementing that one functions provides immediate access to a lot of capabilities that may or may not be slowly implemented over time.
If you're making your own fork, you don't have to wait on anyone but yourself. :)
Raziel236 wrote:Would it be possible to start merging the feature suggestions with GLOOME?
Which ones? I do have quite a few feature requests in my todo right now.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

Marrub wrote:
XCVG wrote:Implementing that one functions provides immediate access to a lot of capabilities that may or may not be slowly implemented over time.
If you're making your own fork, you don't have to wait on anyone but yourself. :)
Actually, the main reason I wanted to implement this was because I knew I wouldn't have the time or skill to implement a lot of functions, at least not right away. But it looks like you're already working on some of the more advanced stuff I had in mind.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Thank you and your team for this, Term - this is what I feel will be the ultimate platform for my Weavel game I was planning to use Metroid Dreadnought as a base on! The thing is that I do not understand DECORATE very well, along with having a little bit of ACS in terms of line specials, sector specials, and creating events based on triggers. I will learn as much as I can within my free time to do this!
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Raziel236 wrote:Would it be possible to start merging the feature suggestions with GLOOME?
Marrub wrote:Which ones? I do have quite a few feature requests in my todo right now.
Meant the ZDoom suggestions.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Raziel236 wrote:
Marrub wrote:Which ones? I do have quite a few feature requests in my todo right now.
Meant the ZDoom suggestions.
Well, yeah, but any in particular? I can't just add every single feature suggestion.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Specially (sp?) because people have suggested ConsoleCommand (*pukes*) in the past, so adding all feature suggestions in both the Closed Feature Suggestions and Feature Suggestions forums would be dangerous.
There's also other possibly dangerous suggestions in there.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

No no just meant that any suggested for ZDoom could be considered for GLOOME, especially rejected ones.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Whoa, I love the look of Nocturne in Yellow, nice work, man! :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”