ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bloodbat

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by Bloodbat »

I added a new beta with the option to toggle .WAD extension trimming (Options - Trim .WAD Extension) and some fixes to accomodate bigger font sizes not set through DPI options.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It seems that the .WAD trimming only affects External Files, not IWADS (intentional?). But everything else seems to be in place. Regardless, keep up the great work. :)
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Nope...not intentional. Good catch :). New version with fix has been uploaded.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Works fine now! I'll poke around with ZDE and see if there's anything else broken. But so far on the surface, everything seems fine.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

For owners of the Final Doom Steam version (and others with a plutonia.wad with a 75c8cf89566741fa9d22447604053bd7 MD5 checksum) I just created a quick, small BSDiff based patch that adds the missing deathmatch starts to map 12 and map 23, it includes a nifty batch file, just place it in your plutonia.wad folder and run patch.bat, a backup of your original plutonia.wad will be created. The patch can be found at the ZDoom Executor Sourceforge files repository under the "Misc" folder, after running the patch your plutonia.wad will have 3493be7e1e2588bc9c8b31eab2587a04 as the MD5 checksum. As with any unofficial patch for any game, apply this at your own risk, I will not be held responsible if your plutonia.wad breaks (that's why a backup is created). The patch file should work under Linux, FreeBSD and such, but it's up to you to compile a working BSPatch (and adapting the .bat to say...a BASH script, though the command line is pretty easy, just remember to

Code: Select all

cp plutonia.wad plutonia.bak
in case anything goes wrong).
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Makes me smile to see this is still being worked on. Keep up the good work. Also, nifty idea to patch iwads. Does ZDE already do this for TNT.wad? I think it has a missing yellow key one of the Map30* maps. The patch exists for it, but can only be applied through DOS AFAIK right now.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Thanks, it doesn't patch automatically and I doubt it will, as a user I'd be suspicious of the program doing that, however links to the proper download will be included in ZDE's weblinks menu. I haven't made a patch for TNT as one is officially available from the TNT Team (with a recently defunct website, I might add :S) with links (updated in source for several days now) pointing to it, ZDE can, indeed, use TNT's patch as it's just like any other .WAD file, if there was a binary patch shipped as a DOS executable at some point I never found it; but running it should be trivial using DosBox (or PCEm, but that's not as easy, PCEm needs proper hard drive images [that can be mounted with ImDisk and created with Bochs' BXImage]). If there's interest, creating a similar patch for the TNT WAD is rather trivial, though it would include another .exe file to verify checksums: I'm not sure if bspatch checks for the correct file prior to patching (though it should), if I made that .exe I would do away with the .bat file, why clutter the folder with unneeded files for stuff I can deal with in code. TNT, unlike Plutonia that has only two versions that I'm aware of, has at least 3 that I know of (all release WAD versions I'm aware of are recognized by ZDE, a full list can be found in "Tools -> List Known IWADs..." (excluding betas, alphas and such).
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

A feature suggestion (since so far, ZDE has replaced all methods of me launching Doom): Is it possible for the Engine list to be rearranged? Would be handy for the user to place their most used engines at the top of the list and their least used at the bottom.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

I like that idea, however, I'll have to check for viability (I don't know ATM if it would break existing profiles).
I did follow your suggestion for a TNT patch, though, so now the package includes patches for both Plutonia and TNT, the package has just been released :). It can be found at ZDE's Sourceforge files repository under the Misc folder as Final_Doom_Patches.zip.
From the readme:
"A collection of quick patches for Final Doom WADs with a frontend.

PLUTONIA.PAT: patch for plutonia.wad to add the missing deathmatch starts to map 12 and map 23.
TNT.PAT: patch for fixing the missing yellow keycard bug in TNT Evilution single player map 31.

The contents of this package are meant to be used under Windows.
The patch requires a PLUTONIA.WAD file with an MD5 checksum of 75c8cf89566741fa9d22447604053bd7 and/or a TNT.WAD with an MD5 checksum of 4e158d9953c79ccf97bd0663244cc6b6.
If the patches are applied succesfully, the resulting PLUTONIA.WAD file's MD5 checksum will be 3493be7e1e2588bc9c8b31eab2587a04 and the resulting TNT.WAD's MD5 checksum will be 1d39e405bf6ee3df69a8d2646c8d5c49.
The easiest way to apply this patches is to place all the files (bspatch.exe, patch.exe, TNT.WAD, TNT.PAT, PLUTONIA.WAD and PLUTONIA.PAT) in the same folder and run patch.exe, the program is an interactive console application.
Patch.exe can also be run from a different folder using command line switches, run patch.exe -h for instructions.
It is wholeheartedly recommended that you use patch.exe to apply the patches: bspatch does NOT check the files to be patched for validity, so without the preliminary checks patch.exe performs you could seriously break your IWAD if it's the wrong version.
Patch.exe optionally creates backups of your patched files with the .org extension.
Both the .PAT patch files and the patch.exe should work under Linux, FreeBSD and such, but it's up to you to compile a working BSPatch and Patch frontend.
As with any unofficial patch for any game, apply this at your own risk, I will not be held responsible if your IWADs break (that's why creating a backup is recommended)."

I can't stress enough that bspatch does NOT check for validity prior to patching, I managed to make it patch PLUTONIA.WAD with the TNT patch, needless to say, that's quite unhealthy for the IWAD so, at the very least, generate an MD5 checksum with your favourite tool (or ZDE's WAD Identifier) and compare it with the aforementioned MD5 strings if you intend to run bspatch by hand.

Functionality to optionally patch both IWADs from within ZDE will be added for next release.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Alrighty then. Thanks for adding that in. Should help those who are unaware that Plutonia and TNT have patches that could be applied.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Hellser wrote:Alrighty then. Thanks for adding that in. Should help those who are unaware that Plutonia and TNT have patches that could be applied.
You're welcome :). They didn't have proper patches AFAIK, TNT had an extra .wad overriding map31, so I created these.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Bloodbat wrote:They didn't have proper patches AFAIK, TNT had an extra .wad overriding map31, so I created these.
The only thing I would consider a proper "patch" is the fix that id Anthology did (there's an alternative version with this fix, including a download for the fix).

I recall patching my TNT and Plutonia using DOSBox and some patch from God knows where. According to ZDE, I have both v1.9 (without the bugs). I'm not sure where I got the patches from.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Hellser wrote:
Bloodbat wrote:They didn't have proper patches AFAIK, TNT had an extra .wad overriding map31, so I created these.
The only thing I would consider a proper "patch" is the fix that id Anthology did (there's an alternative version with this fix, including a download for the fix).

I recall patching my TNT and Plutonia using DOSBox and some patch from God knows where. According to ZDE, I have both v1.9 (without the bugs). I'm not sure where I got the patches from.
I didn't know there were proper patches, granted the id Anthology has bug free versions, but is that a patch? :P. I'd like to find the DOS patches at some point for completeness sake.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Hellser wrote:
Bloodbat wrote:(there's an alternative version with this fix, including a download for the fix)
I didn't know there were proper patches, granted the id Anthology has bug free versions, but is that a patch? :P. I'd like to find the DOS patches at some point for completeness sake.
I tested the patch that was supplied from that wikia page on a bugged version of TNT.WAD and it produced the non-bug version. Same result too for Plutonia, so I used that I think. Oh, and yes. DOSBox is required. ;)

Edit:
I too also know well about completeness.
Spoiler: The Museum

Return to “Launchers”