EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Post by CeeJay »

I'm not sure scaling is working correctly...

The pillar is a 128x128 image, scaled by 0.5 (SCALE=0.5) which SHOULD make it 64x64 in-game. Yet, you can see over the top of it. Clearly.

You can also see the issue, though less visible, with the lamp.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Ok, thanks to Graf's wonderful WadExt utility I've been able to seperate all the maps into their own individual WADs.

Now, I get an error saying that GL-nodes are missing. Isn't 3DGE supposed to do these automatically.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

CeeJay wrote:Ok, thanks to Graf's wonderful WadExt utility I've been able to seperate all the maps into their own individual WADs.

Now, I get an error saying that GL-nodes are missing. Isn't 3DGE supposed to do these automatically.
I have no idea, but you can use ZDBSP, ZDoom's internal node builder for the time being. For now it's also the only node builder with UDMF support.

https://zdoom.org/downloads

Just scroll down until you come to support, editing, utilities and miscellaneous :)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Yes, but we're talking 3DGE's GL nodes, not the normal nodes (or whatevery they're called). Those should already be present and acounted for.

The maps work fine when stored inside a single WAD file. 3DGE automatically generates the GL-nodes. But not when they are stored as individual WADs inside an archive.
Gez

Post by Gez »

ZDBSP can generate GL nodes in addition to the normal nodes.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Tried it, didn't help much.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I gotchu fam. Here is what I've been using to build my nodes for Astral Pathfinder/3DGE 64. Since I dont work in UDMF (still getting the hang of using zdoom stuff), I find it perfect for optimizing 3DGE-formatted maps ^_^ Let me know how it works for you. Just choose build Normal and GL Nodes if you feel the need to do so. Other than that, there are simple build selections for GL only:

http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/download.php
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

CeeJay wrote:Yes, but we're talking 3DGE's GL nodes, not the normal nodes (or whatevery they're called). Those should already be present and acounted for.

The maps work fine when stored inside a single WAD file. 3DGE automatically generates the GL-nodes. But not when they are stored as individual WADs inside an archive.
Unintentionally double post (please merge), I too ran into this problem when trying to work in the PK3 format which is what I see youre trying to get the hang of. You're the only person I know who's trying to get that thing down as I gave up a long time ago. Give GLBSP a try and let me know of your success. If you use Discord, give me a holla.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

RUNSABER wrote:Unintentionally double post (please merge), I too ran into this problem when trying to work in the PK3 format which is what I see youre trying to get the hang of. You're the only person I know who's trying to get that thing down as I gave up a long time ago. Give GLBSP a try and let me know of your success. If you use Discord, give me a holla.
I've nearly given up quite a few times myself believe me, the format still needs a lot of improvement. What prompted it was the fact that the majority of my mods are now broken, what with the problem with RTS as mentioned earlier. It's not the first time I've had to update my back catalog to function under newer versions of 3DGE. I've almost got Wolfenstein 3DGE working under the archive format, only took me about a week. All that is left is the GL-nodes for the maps.

On a side note, the bouncing code is still a little screwy. I thought that was fixed. And I've still no idea what's going on with the scaling.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Did GLBSP work for you?

The new iterations of the build have made some changes here and there. Some things such as definition offsets for images no longer work, I found out they are internal now! So that's one of the easier things. Bouncing is still... finicky. I built a fresh version of FIERCE from scratch and had a chance at playing with grenades again. I have trouble getting nades to detonate on impact, and sometimes they actually BOUNCE off of the enemy actors. They do explode once the fuse goes off. As far as bouncing objects go, try to make sure they have a complete structure of STATES, such as a SPAWN state, an IDLE state from which it can enter after bouncing, and finally a BOUNCE state. I've come to realize that bouncing isnt used just for grenades but for debris, particles, and many more effects. I do apologize that you have to update everything. You and Chrono have the most extensive work and having to go back and fix Immoral Conduct, Marathon, Wolfenstein... jeez. If scaling doesnt treat you well, unfortunately you may have to do some hackery with an image editor to get it to work in your favor. This also means sprites being affected by aspect ratio..
VGA

Post by VGA »

CeeJay, does Doom4Ever work in the newest 3DGE? I want to do a playthrough of NRFTL with it!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

RUNSABER wrote:Did GLBSP work for you?
Nope, still getting the "Internal error: missing GL-Nodes." message. Alternatively I could generate GWA files for the maps, but where do I put them inside the archive?

EDIT: Hold on, WadExt isn't doing its job properly. SEGS, SSECTORS, NODES, REJECT, BLOCKMAP read as zero in size and it ignores all the GL_ entries. No wonder it doesn't work.
VGA wrote:CeeJay, does Doom4Ever work in the newest 3DGE? I want to do a playthrough of NRFTL with it!
Well, for the most part it apears to work fine. Except for the berserk code, so just avoid picking it up I guess.

I am wondering if I am the only one experiencing these issues with RTS?
VGA

Post by VGA »

With EDGE-2.1.0pre-501 Vsync doesn't work so I get some horizontal waves because it runs at 70fps and my monitor is 60. I enabled OGL 3.0 and restarted.

Not sure if it worked with older versions or if it worked with the default options.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Concerning the scaling issue. After some investigation I've found out that it is handled differently depending on if it is a sprite or a texture, for whatever odd reason. In order to scale sprites by half you need to give them a value of 0.55 (or so it would seem, hard to tell for sure), whereas with a texture it is still 0.5. At least, when using the archived format (PK3, EPK, etc.) that is.

On a side note, I ended up splitting the maps manually and stuck 'em inside the MAPS/ folder in the archive. Guess what, it actually works. Not just the maps, the whole freaking thing. All stored inside a single handy file. Wolfenstein 3DGE will be re-released, with tons of improvements to boot.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Serious bug in EDGE-2.1.0pre-501-g41c4e21

In NERVE.WAD MAP04, the texture on the exit room door is somehow offset. In Gzdoombuilder and Doom Retro it looks OK.

Return to “Game Engines”