EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zZaRDoZz

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Post by zZaRDoZz »

http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewforum.ph ... 3a3d2226db

Down at the bottom of the page you'll see that the tdgmods forum is being spammed to death. I've fought off bots for the better part of 2days, only to find nearly half of the accounts are now spam bots. Coraline pulled this same disappearing stunt when Andrew Adapted's forum befell the same spammy fate, so I'm not going to continue to defend a web sight that Coraline has given up on. If you're working on an 3dge project, just treat this thread as the 3dge temporary forum until tdgmods has been declared dead or not. I'll spend a certain amount of time at the old forum, but they can create new accounts faster than I can ban. To bad Coraline turned off first post approval quite recently.
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

So Coraline is a person who works an 80 hour work week and can't respond to every panicked message I send on a daily bases. I apologize Chu. We still don't know how the moderated first post rule got bypassed.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I put the first post requirement back on and disabled registration, for now, but if I do not hear back from her I am just going to open the floodgates on it again. I asked her permission to more directly combat the spambots using the same tactics I already use here and DRD Team (which has proven effective so far), but have not done so because it would overwrite other settings she's put in place and I am not sure she'd be too happy about that.

(EDIT: Got her permission, installed a Q&A Captcha, will have to routinely maintain it to ensure it doesn't get broken, though. As a rule of thumb - the moment a few spambots start making it through, it's time for new questions)

(And wow - holy fuck - the bots came back in droves as soon as I turned on registration again, but as far as I can tell so far not one has made it through. :P)
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

...And I was banning accounts based on user name instead of up address...

Hides face...

300 new accounts in under 8 hours. Whew!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

So... Operation: Arctic Wolf gives you this little graphical oddity.

ImageImage

What's that all about? Any way of fixing or getting around it?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's some bad mapping hacks. It had something to do with ambient sounds if I remember correctly. Why it was done this way - no idea. There's actually some closed sectors there with a sky ceiling. I cannot remember what I did in GZDoom to prevent it - I guess I excluded skies from totally closed sectors with their ceiling height below the eye.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Graf Zahl wrote:I guess I excluded skies from totally closed sectors with their ceiling height below the eye.
Think there's a way in 3DGE to go about doing that?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

is there a way to make an action key continue to do an effect whilst its being held until the key is depress/not held?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

So, I'm a complete newb when it comes to 3D models (I'm old school, baby). What's going on here?

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It looks like the Z-buffer is not being drawn whatsoever, and the triangles are batched to the screen in whatever order they appear in, instead.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Rachael wrote:It looks like the Z-buffer is not being drawn whatsoever, and the triangles are batched to the screen in whatever order they appear in, instead.
This seems to be a new bug -- I'll take a look at it tonight. What model format is that in, btw? And are you using OpenGL 1.x or GL3 rendering in Video Options?
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

CJ, we're having difficulty replicating this issue. It's certain to be something on our end, could you possibly send a copy of the tank to Caroline?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

It's a MD3, taken from Blade of Agony (used as placeholder).

EDIT: I have had it removed, and one point I was thinking of replacing the truck and airplane sprites in my project with models.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I'm down with just posting anything 3DGE-y here. I got another gameplay video of some experimental features such as weather, spawn light codes, environmental hazards, and other cool stuffs. I see Heretic needs work and after seeing Hexen run on Doom 3, playing Destiny and other fantasy games I want to give the fantasy-shooter genre a spin! I'm also considering getting Astral Pathfinder going again and FINISH it. I will release a gameplay video series of the current in-game state and work to give it a proper full release. You guys deserve it after being an insane awesome community and working on this cool engine. Everything I've made recently has just been to learn more about code and now I can get serious again.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Weather effects sounds cool. If was trying to figure out a way of incorporating snow into Arctic Wolf but I'm pretty sure it couldn't be done without some hefty edits to the levels. Would be cool though.

My goal nowadays is to always try and finish my published mods, I used to make hundreds way back when but never release anything. Took a good ten years before I released anything worthwhile. I'm a perfectionist but also hate leaving things unfinished.

Return to “Game Engines”