EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Post by StroggVorbis »

I tried the latest devbuild from yesterday and I get a black screen when I switch to fullscreen mode :/

Edit:
My specs:
-Win7 x64 Home Premium
-GTX970
-i7-4790k
-16GB RAM DDR3 Dual Channel @ 800 MHz
-Gigabyte B85M-HD3 R4 Motherboard
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Me too :(
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Latest version has no sound (except for the broken nonsense with the bizarre intro video) and glitches with Opengl 3 mode.

Also, to quote from the DW Thread I made
I downloaded the latest 3DGE from DRDTeam today out of curiousity to check out the Duke in Doom mod and couldn't help but notice that the splitscreen appears to be playable. However, I can't seem to figure out how to configure player 2's controls. Also, setting up my PS4 controller leads to the axis's controlling both players. Is there a way to have one player be KB/M and the other be the joypad?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Honestly I wish I knew what was going on.. There doesnt seem to be any answers or indications of a fix for what I have going on. I may just need to flippin' upgrade, man. If you guys need me, I'll be sticking with 2.1.3 for awhile. If I have any releases, please check for bugs for me.
Spoiler:
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

For anyone experiencing sound bugs -- please delete EDGE2.CFG and restart the program. I made changes to the audio menu and configuration files for the Floating Point audio fix, so if you still have the old configuration file where these should now be hardcoded, it can cause these problems. So, please remove your configuration file and try again.

And if that still doesn't work:

Please attach your DEBUG.TXT so I can see how your audio driver is being initialized =-)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Spoiler:
So I've been messing around with the old custom crosshair feature, and it needs a little work. The automatic detection for targets is a little wonky (TARGET_JUMP), it don't appear to take height into consideration as evident by the screenshot. Also, there is no way to turn it off in-game. By selecting no crosshair in the options menu, shouldn't this also disable all custom ones too. Just a thought.

EDIT: And what exactly is the CROSSHAIR special for IMAGES.DDF supposed to do?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

CeeJay wrote:what exactly is the CROSSHAIR special for IMAGES.DDF supposed to do?
The CROSSHAIR special for Images.ddf (as per the EdgeWiki):

Code: Select all

CROSSHAIR
For weapon crosshair sprites: center it on screen
So, if you don't have custom crosshair sprites via IMAGES.DDF defined with the SPECIAL=CROSSHAIR, you definitely should.
CeeJay wrote: The automatic detection for targets is a little wonky (TARGET_JUMP), it don't appear to take height into consideration as evident by the screenshot.
About those other crosshair commands, it appears that TARGET_JUMP is definitely doing what you described, but the description for it seems odd:

TARGET_JUMP
The action will check if there is something that the autoaiming can lock onto, and change the crosshair accordingly. Crosshair jumps to the given frame IF player has a target. Can only be used in the crosshair states.
Autoaiming lock...is it just me or does it feel kinda like that old-school autoaiming that DOOM would use. Maybe it was created back
in DOSDoom or very early versions of EDGE, because that kind of feels like a nobrainer to have the player view jump to the target
as well. I can always use the MLOOK_ code from the other DDF and implement (or replace) the TARGET_JUMP function. . .

So just to be absolutely clear, in your second screenshot, you would prefer the overall behavior for this function to snap the screen
TO the enemy (crosshair), or would you like the crosshair GRAPHIC snap to the enemy? Because this can go both ways in the event
that there is no mouselook enabled (or a mouse in general). I can snap the crosshair graphic to the enemy if mouselook is completely
disabled, or if mouselook IS enabled, have the PLAYER VIEW (screen) snap to the target. Or just ignore the player view/screen thing
and just have the actual crosshair snap to the target regardless of the screenpitch. If we did it the first way, it would certainly feel
strange if the crosshair was on a target and the crosshair was off-center (0,0), but it would be cool for 3D modeled weapons as that
is certainly possible for those as their orientation can change dynamically (sprites, as you can imagine...not so much lol)
Also, there is no way to turn it off in-game. By selecting no crosshair in the options menu, shouldn't this also disable all custom ones too. Just a thought.
A little confused here. How are you defining custom crosshairs? If you are defining them in IMAGES.DDF, the engine will not associate
crosshairs with the defaults unless you have the CROSSHAIR special defined first, otherwise, as far as the engine goes it isn't even
using a properly defined crosshair graphic as a 'crosshair', but the engine won't complain if that's something someone wanted to do.

{...}
{..}

Also, has anyone gotten their sound working in the latest versions of EDGE, by deleting their EDGE2 configuration file? Please let me
know if this fixes or does not fix the problem. If it doesn't, then I'll have to double-check Icculus' commit to the SDL audio code, because
under Windows it should always be on Float32 audio. If it isn't...well, I'll have no way of knowing without attaching your DEBUG.txt, since
I can see where the audiospec sits on your machine for SDL audio. If sound is messed up and there was a pre-existing EDGE2.CFG in your
EDGE root directory, it should be printing incorrect audiospec outputs in the Debug (which is one reason I have completely disabled the
ability to change the Khz rate/etc in the Sound Options menu for now).
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Coraline wrote:For anyone experiencing sound bugs -- please delete EDGE2.CFG and restart the program. I made changes to the audio menu and configuration files for the Floating Point audio fix, so if you still have the old configuration file where these should now be hardcoded, it can cause these problems. So, please remove your configuration file and try again.

And if that still doesn't work:

Please attach your DEBUG.TXT so I can see how your audio driver is being initialized =-)
Is that still with the version that you posted earlier? If so, I installed to a new directory (no config file present), still got the sound problem and my debug.txt is attached.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

This is striking to me -- this isn't supposed to happen:

SDL_Audio_Driver: default
I_StartupSound: trying 48000 Hz, 32 bit Stereo
I_StartupSound: unsupported channel num: 6
I_StartupMUS: Couldn't load the midi mixer
I_StartupMusic: OPL Init OK
That unsupported channel number (6) is the culprit. Once that is detected it completely disables the audio system.

THANK YOU ENJAY!! <3 I can finally start working on that.

I guess the next thing I'll need to implement is OS information, because that is going to be my next question.

One thing I would like to ask you to try is downloading this release binary of SDL2:

https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php

Whichever version is the version of EDGE you are using, overwrite SDL2.dll in the EDGE directory, and try again -- I want
to see if that fixes the issue.

Basically, EDGE is _not_ alone in this floating point audio bug that every version after SDL2 2.0.5 introduced, which is why
Icculus went out of his way to write specific fixes in the EDGE codebase. They kind of screwed up in assuming every device
nowadays should be playing 32-bit audio no matter what. See what I mean? lol

I also need to add a printf somewhere to display the version of SDL2 that is being used. How strange that it doesn't happen
on my system, but happens on others. I definitely need another PC to test these things out on.

The good news is that this is largely isolated from EDGE, i.e. this is an on-going problem with SDL2. I'm going to see what I can do on
my end (verify that we are using latest SDL2 for one). It seems with every little release since at least 2.0.6 they have been over
these strange 32-bit audio bugs..
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Assuming that I got the right version to run with EDGE-x64 (SDL2-2.0.8-win32-x64.zip (64-bit Windows)), it did not fix the issue.

Same debug.txt message

I_StartupSound: unsupported channel num: 6
Install was, again, in a fresh directory with no other files other than IWADs.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

I want to say if you could try SDL 2.0.7's release DLL.

Sorry enjoy, hope I'm not being troublesome. :/
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Happy to try it - but struggling to find it. Got a link?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Enjay wrote:Happy to try it - but struggling to find it. Got a link?
Got you, friend!!

=)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Same problem I'm afraid. :?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

....and with 2.0.6 but 2.0.5 works!

I_StartupSound: Success @ 48000 Hz, 32 bit Stereo

Return to “Game Engines”