EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blue Shadow

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Post by Blue Shadow »

Wouldn't it be better to showcase the project in its own thread, instead?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Blue Shadow wrote:Wouldn't it be better to showcase the project in its own thread, instead?
Every now and again I like to share my progress with my 3DGE buddies to show my continued interest and growth with the port. They arent announcements, but just beta things that hopefully turn into full-fledged projects, like one of my Quake-based adventures. I work alone, and there are times that I really would like to keep these pals informed on my existence :mrgreen:

I previously had this modification as a thread before closing it - the project grew into something broader than its predecessor. If we all had Discord or something, that would be dope! There is also a separate forum for the community that I try to post consistently on - and in most cases, I just host these projects on a blog in demand of someone REALLY wanting to follow these little projects..
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

is anyone else having jerky mouse movements with this?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

armymen12002003 wrote:is anyone else having jerky mouse movements with this?
If you are using official Test3, try pulling the console down and type in:

r_swapinterval. If its set to 1, try using 2 (adaptive), or try 0 to turn it off.

And to help with that, enable VSYNC. Its not broken anymore :-) use r_vsync as a shortcut. Please let me know if it helps ^^
armymen12002003

Ok I'll let you know if it works
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Haven't tried out the latest DevBuild yet, but I'd like to point out that mouse sensitivity is dependent on whether 'Always Run' is on or off. Is this intentional?

Also wanted to say that 3DGE is my favourite Source Port next to GZDoom, with the modding capabilities, added features, bugfixes from Vanilla Doom and much more :D
Coraline

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Post by Coraline »

EDGE 2.1.0 Test3 has been officially released!

You can grab it from here!

This official release contains fixes and improvements (stuttering, VSYNC, framerate drops, much more) than not even the current
Devbuilds in DRDTeam have. Please use this official release for the most stable EDGE experience.

Quoted from our release statement:
Whew, over 15 months since the last official release!

The EDGE team is proud to present EDGE 2.1.0-Test3! Grab it from Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/ ... .0/Test-3/

There are such a massive amount of changes, bugfixes, additions (like ZDoom/Vavoom/etc UDMF support, PolyObjects, DDF improvements and additions, Camera-Man Scripting engine, and completely fixed framerate interpolation/Vsync, and lots of speed additions)!

Far too many changes to list here (see CHANGELOG.txt for more information...and I KNOW I've left out a ton that can be found logged on Github).

Test2 should now be avoided LIKE THE PLAGUE!

The things that we didn't have time for that will be on the roadmap for 2.1.0 Final:

* Complete ROTT support

* Complete PolyObject support

* GUI-based IWAD Selector

* Multiplayer

* More GLSL shaders, including a compiler at run-time for custom user-made stuff

* Inventory Support (Heretic, Hexen)

* heavily-optimised BSP walking/rendering

* Finalised BOOM support

* Even closer compatibility to ZDoom, like ACS, etc.

There are so many people to thank -- the wonderful EDGE programmers (especially Andrew Apted), the stupendous EDGE community, the amazing GZDoom team, our friends from ZDOOM, Quasar|Eternity/Fraggle/etc, the amazing programmers here at Doomworld, and all of the contributors that have helped preserve the legacy of DOSDoom/EDGE. So much to do and not enough time to do it :-)

So, enjoy! Keep reporting those bugs, and if all goes well, 2.1.0 Final won't be far off! Sure as hell won't take us another 15 months for a release, but that's what hard work and a dedication can do sometimes...lol! :-D
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I still get an unexpected crash when starting a new game, no warning and nothing in changelog.txt.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

I don't understand what the issue could be...have you tried running it with -norenderbuffers? Does it produce a CRASHLOG.txt?

So far, unfortunately, you are the only one to report this issue, but I want to work with you to resolve it. You are the most incredible
EDGE modder in a long time, and I don't want to have you "left out". I need as much information about your system and your
EDGE setup. Feel free to PM me. I wanna get this resolved FOR GOOD. =)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Well, running it with -norenderbuffer did the trick but it still crashes without it.

Here's a copy of the crashlog:
Spoiler:
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Hmmm - what does Debug.txt say? The last few lines? Or, just attach it.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Spoiler:
On another note, found an issue with RTS: fading text (HUD) appears to not work when scripts are stored inside a WAD for whatever reason. Works just fine when using them externallly, though. Shame since what I'm currently working on makes extensive use of fading text.

example:
Spoiler:
The text is supposed to fade away, and does so when the RSCRIPT is used externally but not internally.

EDIT: There appears to be an overall problem with RSCRIPT. In Duke it Out in DOOM, Duke keeps randomly repeating lines. In DOOM Forever, the berserk doesn't go away it just resets. In Wolfenstein 3DGE, the score counter just keeps going. Judging by these issues, i'd say it's a safe bet it has something to do with RSCRIPT.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

a few things i would absolutely adore in the new versions if you're willing to add more new additions to the DDF code

i'd love to be able to ajust the sway and bob of weapons like in decorate

being able to do proper charge-weapon style attacks (like a bfg charging, releasing it too early does a weaker version or shoots nothing at all)
even simple things like releasing a finger too early while a weapon winds up would go to its winddown state

proper homing weapons would be nice instead of having to work with the hackney way of shooting a projectile that ejects a thing that has an attack

maybe a proper ability to do railgun coding, and a more efficient way of doing decals?

basically I'd love to see DDF get more features to make it viably code-equal to decorate at least weapon wise.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

I don't mean to bump any thread or anything but when I tried to get the latest version of 3DGE from the main link my antivirus software "AVAST" had found some stuff in there. I will show you via screenshot.
This is the thing it said the site had while downloading EDGE. Please advise?
This is the thing it said the site had while downloading EDGE. Please advise?
armymen12002003

TheLightBad96 wrote:I don't mean to bump any thread or anything but when I tried to get the latest version of 3DGE from the main link my antivirus software "AVAST" had found some stuff in there. I will show you via screenshot.
screencap.png
this is what i get too

Return to “Game Engines”