EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RUNSABER

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Post by RUNSABER »

FYI latest devbuilds are EXTREMELY unstable due to the added Bloom and distortion features. Even with the features disabled in-game and by configuration, the engine is haphazardly slow and sometimes the world will not render. As of now, all of my mods and testings are exclusive to 2.0 as the most stable engine at this time. I also like having the option of using QEffects if I want.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This is why bugs and crash reports are needed. The only alternative is removing the features altogether - is that what everyone really wants?

It would be really helpful to have links to the mods where these issues occur, along with map coordinates if possible.

(Use the "info" ccmd to get map coordinates - twice if you show FPS by default)
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Rachael wrote:This is why bugs and crash reports are needed. The only alternative is removing the features altogether - is that what everyone really wants?

It would be really helpful to have links to the mods where these issues occur, along with map coordinates if possible.

(Use the "info" ccmd to get map coordinates - twice if you show FPS by default)
Yes, I can't stress this enough. We have the SF tracker, the Github tracker, and a thread at the 3DGE forums specifically for bugs. Its very hard to fix these from loose forum posts if they are not properly logged through the correct channels.

Also, I am getting ready to introduce our new Camera-Man system for in-engine cameras and cutscenes, which is already in the Git. Maciej is working on documentation for that feature as well.

Also, if the engine is rendering slow with that stuff, make sure you disable them, fallback to OpenGL 1, and turn Vsync off. But if you can, please make a proper report.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I try to post any bugs and glitches that spring to mind over at said forums, even if some of them may seem small and unsignificant. I just hope that the majority of these do get fixed eventually.
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

https://www.facebook.com/10000877576404 ... 841244225/

Too lazy to post to youtube and I can't enbed a facebook vid.

Coraline didn't want to use this vid, dreamedge is so close now. If only our dreamcast coders would stop contracting the real life virus.
mustycheese

Post by mustycheese »

Sorry for the drive by comment, but would anyone here know how to go about starting 3DGE on Linux? The typical ./foo doesn't work.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

mustycheese wrote:Sorry for the drive by comment, but would anyone here know how to go about starting 3DGE on Linux? The typical ./foo doesn't work.
http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php/S ... quirements
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Had problems with the newest builds involving video so I moved back to the Test 2 renditions. Currently working on a Medieval-Shooter modification based slightly on Heretic's arsenal. Testing out melee and ranged weapons using QEffects instead of T3's built-in effects. Wanted to build something RPG-like after cracking out on Destiny & Skyrim and this setup seemed fitting :) This mod makes use of the PK3 supported format as a means to practice using it in real time and so far I am pleased with the structure and how organized it is. I'm still trying to get sounds linked properly but after using PK3 I'm not sure if I can go back to standard WAD format ;)
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

We could use a little heretic/hexen magic in some of our gameplay mods for 3dge. Any chance of the blessing columns making a comeback?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

We could use more 3DGE mods period. :geek:
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I don't know much about blessing columns, but Medievil for the PSX had a cool "Fountain of Rejuvenation" feature that I would like to incorporate into this mod. I've been playing around with the possibility of melee/magic weapons for a while now to consider molding this into a full-on conversion with levels and gameplay to suit its mechanics. Stay tuned for something cool!
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

@Runsaber:

Was this your report? https://sourceforge.net/p/edge2/bugs/30/

All the same, Rachael has fixed these issues and even added an explicit switch to disable render buffers, even under OpenGL3.

I will drop the new devbuild much later tonight, but I verified this works on my older laptop that also uses a built in Radeon IGP. :-)

Regardless...ATi has issues with this engine, they always have. We even still have the old EDGE system in place to detect ATi Radeon/etc cards to enable 'workarounds' automatically. Come to think of it, that also might be causing issues in this age of hardware....hmm...
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

@Coraline: Yes! That's my report, thank you frands for snuffing those out - I do believe it is time for another upgrade, perhaps a Microsoft Surface 3 Pro?? I like it's mobile suggestive use, and it's compatible with a plethora of wireless hardware! It might make mapping a faster process too!

I'm excited for the next drop, have been anticipating the next slew of features to play with :) Is there a chat or live messenger to stay up to date with?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Funnily enough, I have been seriously considering setting up a Discord channel for 3DGE modders/devs, but I need to figure out how to do it first. :-)

And you are welcome! We don't want to leave behind any modders due to radical engine changes we have introduced over the last year, so hopefully this will do well to keep you a happy end-user (and anyone looking for a nice-looking port for lower-end hardware) ;-)

Thanks for sticking it out as we make all these major changes :-)

On another note, we are looking for someone to help us design a website for 3DGE - I am more than happy to pay!! <3
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

@Runsaber: I assume that was you again on SF!! Make a account already man!! ;-)

I'm glad you are finally able to use the new build on your hardware. And thank Rachael for making that happen, BTW <3

Return to “Game Engines”