EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

For some reason, MIDI-based music isn't working in 3DGE devbuild, even with OPL. Also, OpenGL 3 mode seems to not work properly (completely black sprites.)

I have no idea what to do about the music part.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Cacodemon345 wrote:For some reason, MIDI-based music isn't working in 3DGE devbuild, even with OPL. Also, OpenGL 3 mode seems to not work properly (completely black sprites.)

I have no idea what to do about the music part.
That's strange, I recently made some changes to the Win32 mixer code (DWORD_PTR from regular DWORD to support x64), but it shouldn't affect OPL. Switch to OPL, and restart EDGE - it should work just fine. If not, attach your Debug.txt! :-)
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I think it is a problem with the Win32 MIDI system. OPL seems to be working fine, but System doesn't.

I think you should try and attempt to change the System MIDI code, so that it actually works with newer Windows OSs, since most of the people aren't using XP and there are people who would prefer using MSGS or Roland SC-VA. Meanwhile, I will check out TiMidity.

Edit: It does look like TiMidity doesn't support SF2 soundfonts in 3DGE. :(
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

It doesn't indeed - EDGE uses a modified subset of one of the first iterations of Timidity, and thus doesnt yet have soundfont support. Though I need to check in a new branch, I'm attempting to weave it through our Timidity code.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Cant even run it:

Code: Select all

[Log file created at 08:35 PM on 29/May/2018]

[Debug file created at 08:35 PM on 29/May/2018]

EDGE v2.1.0pre-7804-g92852a33d compiled on May 21 2018 at 11:22:56
EDGE homepage is at http://edge2.sourceforge.net/
EDGE Wiki is at http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/
EDGE forums are located at http://tdgmods.net/smf
EDGE problems should be reported via https://github.com/3dfxdev/hyper3DGE/issues
EDGE is based on id Tech by id Software http://www.idsoftware.com/
==============================================================================
E_ShowCPU: Getting CPU information...
CPU Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
  Name: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
  Family 15 (15), Model 104, Stepping 2
  Features: SSE2 SSE3 3DNow! 3DNow!+
==============================================================================
M_LoadDefaults from .\EDGE2.cfg
That cvar is read only.
- System startup begun.
* Optimus GPU setting not set.
SDL_Video_Driver: default
Happens when I try to boot it. Just gonna stick with a stable release for now.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

I see, it might not be setting SDL modes properly. Also, maybe its trying to force a window at a resolution not supported? Try editing your config file and see if setting a custom resolution and 24 bit color will help.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Still no luck, tried setting it to 640x480 first, then 600x400 and lastly 800x600 with still no avail.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

What will Wolf3D, ROTT support bring which features to it? I'm just wishing for the ability to finally make bridge things that can move actors horizontally, and the score system.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

RUNSABER wrote:Still no luck, tried setting it to 640x480 first, then 600x400 and lastly 800x600 with still no avail.
Does your system support AVX? That might have been my fault -- if it doesn't then that's the problem, as something must have
been compiled with it. Just in case though, try the new recent devbuilds:

X86
x64

Try both X86 and X64 (and if you overwrite them in the same folder, make sure both the EXE and SDL2.dll is overwritten. =)
Cacodemon345 wrote:What will Wolf3D, ROTT support bring which features to it? I'm just wishing for the ability to finally make bridge things that can move actors horizontally, and the score system.
We are still working out the schematics. So far, the biggest features that will be available to both is the current scripting languages (DDF, RTS, and COAL); as far as the base
game(s) go, we are hammering out the specifics. At least for both, the maps will be converted to BSP format, so scripting is definitely a big plus for anyone that would want
to use something more robust than what WinROTT can offer. ECWolf has us beat on the Wolf3D front -- but like EDGE modders have always done, you can nearly match what
Decorate/ACS can do using DDF/RTS/COAL.

But I am definitely most excited about Rise of the Triad. That's our summer project =-)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Tried the x64 version on my new system, seems to work like a charm. Considerably more so than with my old laptop. But, what's up with the whole opening animation?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Still doesnt work, attaching CRASHLOG

Crashlog
Spoiler:
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I see the screen jittering effect for melee attacks is still present. It's really distraction and makes me avoid using any melee based weapons when playing. Please, get rid of it for future releases.

And I thought I heard something about the bouncing code being restored. Still looks the same to me.

Other than that, good work.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... I'm having major issues with sound; both with the x64 and the x86 version. When it starts, the intro video has horribly distorted sound and then Doom itself has no sound at all.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

CeeJay wrote:I see the screen jittering effect for melee attacks is still present. It's really distraction and makes me avoid using any melee based weapons when playing. Please, get rid of it for future releases.
New builds (x86 and x64) are being re-built as I type. Both have the screen shaking effect, but the melee screen shaking effect, as a temporary solution, it needs to be enabled as (r_meleeshake). It defaults to 0 for now. I have written code to DDF-itize them (the way they should be), but I have not had time to test it properly. So for now, that is taken care of and you shouldn't ever have to re-enable it again or worry about it messing with things until we are ready to put it in DDF. =-)
CeeJay wrote:And I thought I heard something about the bouncing code being restored. Still looks the same to me.
AFAIK the bouncing code has been restored and works as intended again. I tried it out with Duke and another mod, and it seems to me that bouncing works again. Try these new builds first. Specifically, I have restored the old PointToAngle code so items should now bounce properly again as it does stricter (but slightly slower) checking. If it doesn't work exactly as it used to, I need to figure out what else changed, as now 100% of the bounce behavior code, math code, and PointToAngle code has _all_ been restored now. If it still isn't working, something else might be corrupting the values. I'll probably just litter all the bouncing code with Printf's and try to determine from there what could be happening.
Enjay wrote:Hmmm... I'm having major issues with sound; both with the x64 and the x86 version. When it starts, the intro video has horribly distorted sound and then Doom itself has no sound at all.
Sounds about right -- I didn't realize the builds on DRDTeam were a month old. A lot of work has gone into both versions for sound so there shouldn't be issues with either the intro video or the game modules themselves.

Now, we ARE working towards completely replacing SDL_Sound and EDGE's custom implementation of sound decoding for actual library-handled decoding (OpenAL-soft), which will bring cool stuff to the table like echos and reverb, etc. But the biggest single improvement there is that EDGE doesn't have to do any extra work anymore to decode sound by-hand (which should have been handled by a library anyway). Should be interesting once it is completed, but, it won't be available for awhile.

For now Enjay, pretty please download the new builds posted today (7.14.2018) and let me know if the sound/video issues have been resolved. ^_^

x86
x64
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just downloaded and tried both and, nope, they both still have the very distorted sound in the video and no sound in the game. I installed both to a clean folder with nothing there other than doom2.wad. :(

Return to “Game Engines”