[wip] Doom Launcher

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: [wip] Doom Launcher

Post by Endless123 »

LostSkull wrote:Java scares me.
Don't be afraid of the unknown :P
... or the dark ...
... or a woman (maybe that one need some more thoughts :lol:)

Joking aside i'm using it ( zereb's launcher) and there is no problem so far. No virus either :P So i don't think there is any reason to fear using zereb's launcher. So far i don't see any.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Java basically opens up a backdoor to your system inviting all kinds of shit over for a cup of coffee...
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I know that but you know if you have a good anti-virus and a good firewall and you don't click on all banners you see on the net you shouldn't have any problem.

But if you fear it so much i suggest you use a Linux distro, like Ubuntu or its derivative version Kubuntu, Fedora(this one is used by the NASA so i should be safe :P ), openSUSE, Gentu, Mandriva and there are many others. It's safe to a level Windows will never reaches even in a 1000 years and the best part is - IT'S FREE so you can install it to 400 pc and it's totally legal. If you aren't feeling confortable with installing an OS you don't know you can use what is called "a live CD" allowing you to try it without installing anything on your pc(it place itself in the RAM of your pc so nothing is written on your hard drive)

Enough with the Linux stuff, it's a bit off topic is it? well anyway there is always a way to protect your pc without making it too complicated.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I have an AV, I have Adblock Plus and I'm not foolish enough to click on any ad that slips through the filters. But anyway, back on topic.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

LostSkull wrote:Java basically opens up a backdoor to your system inviting all kinds of shit over for a cup of coffee...
This is the complete opposite of true. Java is a programming language with its own byte code. A VM if you will. Any cited security issue is restricted to web-based applets, which this program is not. This launcher is just as unsafe as any other program ordinary program on your PC.
Last edited by edward850 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by HavoX »

I think he's got it confused with Java Runtime Environment, which as you mentioned, is a VM.
I've personally had problems with JRE in the past, especially on sites that use Java, and ultimately stopped using it.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

HavoX wrote:I think he's got it confused with Java Runtime Environment, which as you mentioned, is a VM.
I've personally had problems with JRE in the past, especially on sites that use Java, and ultimately stopped using it.
Yes, this.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Wait, you can set up individual custom configs? Nice.
WARCHILD_89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

I have to learn about GUI at work, your program could help me understanding it..... :)
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The launcher is unable to find any IWADs when I try to set them up. Like, I go into the directory to click on it, and it shows nothing inside. Even just manually putting the path in the path line doesn't make it show up in the list afterward.

Return to “Launchers”