GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
boris

Re: GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Post by boris »

Kappes Buur wrote:Do you have a binary which I can try? :)
I put up a new release: https://github.com/biwa/3dfloormode/releases/tag/v0.2.2

Changes:
  • Fixed some crashes (by Xabis)
  • When creating new 3D floor, the destination sector's heights are taken into account for the default 3D floor heights (by Xabis)
  • Visibility improvements when cycling through 3D floors (by Xabis)
  • Fixed slope vertex dragging problems (slope vertices now snap to the grid as expected) (by Xabis)
  • Labels in Slope Mode now show "B" and "T" to indicate sloped 3D floors
  • Implemented option to create the slope data sector in the CSA
  • Option to reposition SVG when dragging sectors works again
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Very nice indeed. Thank you.
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

Thanks Boris for the new functionality.

My only concern with the slope labels is it can get a bit spammy when you have a floor crossing many sectors.
In the below example, the under-carriage of the 3d steps is a smooth slope:
example
example
boris

Post by boris »

Yeah, I know. Any suggestions to improve it? Maybe options to show the labels only under certain conditions (never/only when highlighted/always...)?
boris

Post by boris »

Ok, I added options to configure when the labels are displayed. It can be configured in Tools -> Preferences -> 3D Floor Plugin.

Also put up a new version: https://github.com/biwa/3dfloormode/releases/tag/v0.2.3

Changes:
  • Lines connecting slope vertices and now highlighted when a slope vertex is highlighted
  • An undo step is created when accepting an option in the slope data sector dialog
  • Slope Mode and Draw Slope Mode are now properly canceled when pressing the cancel button in the slope data sector dialog
  • The position of the CSA is now always saved, not only after disengaging 3D Floor Mode
  • Input fields in the 3D floor editing dialog are now drawn properly
  • Added options to configure when labels for slope vertices and sectors are shown in Slope Mode (always, never, when a slope vertex is highlighted). This can be configured in Tools -> Preferences -> 3D Floor Plugin
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

Thanks for the updates.

To be honest, I was expecting to only see the labels for the slope that was being highlighted with the "on slope vertex highlight" mode enabled, instead of everything.
boris wrote:Any suggestions to improve it?
If you recall, one of my earlier patches added the C/F directly to the slope line when that line was being highlighted. Maybe if it only applied to a slope line of a 3d floor it might be useful for this type of display? Your call, of course.
boris

Post by boris »

Xabis wrote:To be honest, I was expecting to only see the labels for the slope that was being highlighted with the "on slope vertex highlight" mode enabled, instead of everything.
Doh! Of course the intention was to only show the labels for the highlighted slope, and not for all. Commit a patch to the repository (but no binary available).
Xabis wrote:
boris wrote:Any suggestions to improve it?
If you recall, one of my earlier patches added the C/F directly to the slope line when that line was being highlighted. Maybe if it only applied to a slope line of a 3d floor it might be useful for this type of display? Your call, of course.
I guess it could be added as an option. I'll look into it again.
Bruno Sá de Araújo

Post by Bruno Sá de Araújo »

Hey there! I'm new at the forum (I've created my account today) and I'm currently working in GZDoom Builder for some personal projects, and your plugin is exactly what I was looking for!
However, for some reason, I select the sector and try to draw a slope, and it doesn't work. I don't know if I'm missing something or it has something to do with the verson of the software that I'm using.

My currently version of GZDoom Builder is the official release 2.3.0.2787
My SO is Windows 10 (Just in case it has something to do with the Open GL, or the Drivers, or with the major updates that Microsoft is doing that is messing up with everything)
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Bruno Sá de Araújo wrote:... stuff
GZDB / GZDBBF work from XP on, so the operating system should be no problem, just make sure
that you have the Required software installed. Your hardware, though, may be a different story.

As to how to slope the 3D sector with boris's 3D plugin version v0.2.3:

Dudweiser

Post by Dudweiser »

I followed the instructions exactly in the above video but it appears to have no affect whatsoever on the ceiling. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Dudweiser wrote:I followed the instructions exactly in the above video but it appears to have no affect whatsoever on the ceiling. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
With you giving that much information all I can suggest is ... try again.
Or if you actually want help with this, then more information is required (screenshots, map, or video)
Dudweiser

Post by Dudweiser »

I tried again and made a entirely new sector and it worked flawlessly when not joined onto any other sectors, but when I tried the exact same method to an existing sector all hell broke lose and it actually made GZ builder unloadable for 25 mins so I gave up lol. Managed to revert back not quite sure what the difference is Im jist sticking to slopeless 3D sectors they work perfectly no problems
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

In the latest code, there is a bug introduced with the duplicate button, where pressing the button does not appear to make the floor controls. Here is a quick fix:

EDIT: I will submit a pull request with some other QOL enhancements shortly.
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

Submitted PR #3:

Fixes:
* The duplicate button will now behave as expected
* If you delete a slope from a sector, it will not orphan other bound slopes. For example, if a sector has both a floor and a ceiling slope, and you remove only the floor, the ceiling will now remain attached, whereas before it would unbind.
* Did some housekeeping with the vs project: the output path should be relative and not use a hard coded path, this is in line with the other plugins paths. Also, the builder ref should never be allowed to copy, as it will incorrectly dump the exe and dlls into the plugins directory, which gzdb will complain about.

QOL changes:

* If multiple slope handles are positioned at the SAME location, only one single label per z-height will be shown. This is a de-duplication. Labels start to get out of hand fast with multiple slopes adjacent to each other, so this is a way to cut down on visual noise. Example:
dedupe.png
dedupe.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
* It is now possible to cycle through slope handles that are placed at the same location, by using the cycle 3d floor keys. It gets annoying having to drag out handles to get to one that is buried. Now you can just flip through them with a key.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Xabis wrote: QOL changes:[/b]
* If multiple slope handles are positioned at the SAME location, only one single label per z-height will be shown. This is a de-duplication. Labels start to get out of hand fast with multiple slopes adjacent to each other, so this is a way to cut down on visual noise.
Exactly what happened here:
Spoiler:
Is there a download link for the plugin with your fix?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”