GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
boris

Re: GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Post by boris »

DracoNoir wrote:Still can't figure out why they arent showing properly in game though...
What version of GZDoom are you using? As Gez said in the thread on DW you need a relatively new version. Get the latest from here: http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

1.8.02 (although the loader shows it as g1.8.2) - so the latest version, and as I mentioned, I've already had 3d slopes working before using the plugin, but only following Chubzdoomer's videos where he says they only work if the control sector is as long as ( in the same direction as the slope gradient) and on the same 'row' or 'column' as the affected sector.

I don't know why this was necessary before, unless it was because I was using Doom in Hexen format (now UDMF), but using the plugin and it's CSA, the sectors don't follow this rule - I guess this shouldn't matter?

boris

Post by boris »

DracoNoir wrote:1.8.02 (although the loader shows it as g1.8.2)
That's not the latest version - look at the link I posted, you can always get the latest from there. The method used by the plugin to create slopes isn't supported in your version of GZDoom.
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

ah.. thanks, should have checked the repository instead of googling it! Where I got it from it was the latest version THEY had!

Unfortunately, now I get an error trying to test the level:

R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context.

A quick googling seems to suggest that my shitty integrated graphics ain't gonna handle this...

EDIT:

GZDoom 1.8.7 Does support the plugin methods and still uses GL2.

Whew...

EDIT#2::

Just noticed that the created 3D floor sectors' linedefs all have the same reference number per sector, ie all 4 sides of one of mine are linedef 1252; the same as the control sector's Action 160 linedef. Is this normal and I just haven't noticed before? Cos it means I can't have different textures on those walls...
boris

Post by boris »

DracoNoir wrote: Just noticed that the created 3D floor sectors' linedefs all have the same reference number per sector, ie all 4 sides of one of mine are linedef 1252; the same as the control sector's Action 160 linedef. Is this normal and I just haven't noticed before? Cos it means I can't have different textures on those walls...
Yes, this is normal. You can work around this limitation by creating another 3D floor with the same properties, but a different wall texture and place it where you want (instead of the original 3D floor, don't overlap them) the different wall texture to show up.
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

Ah ok thanks. Basically in this instance, parts of all four sector walls are visible. 3 sides have the same texture and one side I want different, so if I effectively split it into two and make my separate texture sector only 1mu deep, it will not be noticeable where it 'wraps around' onto the adjacent 2 sides.

The textures I want to use are gstone1 and gstvine anyway so this wouldn't be that obvious.
boris

Post by boris »

Just use a triagngle:

DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

Ahh, of course! I'm still thinking in boring, square boxes!

One last question then I promise I'll leave you alone!

I've now got multiple 3D floors in the same sector, and everything shows up as I want in GZDB, however, when I load up GZDoom with the WAD, only one or the other 3D floor shows up. I think it depends on tag number - the later (higher) tagged sector appears, the lower just is not shown at all.

Is this again down to the version of GZDoom I'm using? I'm restricted to OpenGL 2 due to my laptop so I can't run anything higher than 1.8.7.
boris

Post by boris »

DracoNoir wrote:Is this again down to the version of GZDoom I'm using? I'm restricted to OpenGL 2 due to my laptop so I can't run anything higher than 1.8.7.
Yes, that version probably doesn't support multiple tags per sector in UDMF maps. That's again a pretty new addition.
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

Crap it! Thats what I feared. Can I assume that If it appears ok in GZDB, it'll appear ok in GZDoom if I go ahead and build anyway?

EDIT: I mean for those who can run later editions?
Last edited by DracoNoir on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

DracoNoir wrote: I'm restricted to OpenGL 2 due to my laptop so I can't run anything higher than 1.8.7.
Try the last version of the 1.8 series, 1.8.10.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6482
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

Thanks Kappes.

Again, it seems where I went for the files didn't have the LATEST version as their latest. I have downloaded it but unfortunately it looks like multi tags weren't supported in this edition either.

Looks like I'm SOL on this one...

EDIT:

Hang on though, If i just make sure that both control sectors' A160 linedefs have the same sector tag, that should work, right? I'm so new to 3D floors, slopes and gzdoom (up until not long ago, I was running DCK in DOSBox and thinking I was pretty nifty for getting that working again :) ) that I can't remember all the stuff I've read over the past week.

If this is true then:

a) I should still be able to put slopes on any 3D floors I want,

and

b) It does mean having to manually change the tag when I add the second (and third, etc.) 3D floor. Unless there is an option somewhere to do this for me? If not, could there be? Probably a lot of work for just my benefit, but perhaps a plugin version for matching the rules for GZD 1.8.10 and earlier would be used by many?

I get that this could all probably be done easily with ACS, but that's probably my next step once I understand all of this properly :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hey boris, I just wanted to ask if the latest version of the plugin also includes the special addition to the stairmode (for the triangle slopes we discussed in MaxED's GZDoomBuilder thread, you posted a wip there) as I might need it now :)
boris

Post by boris »

DracoNoir wrote:stuff
Yes, having multiple 3D floor control sectors reference the same tag works. In fact, that was the only way to do it before sectors could have multiple tags, and that's what the plugin does in Hexen format. It gets really messy if you have complex 3D environments.
Tormentor667 wrote:Hey boris, I just wanted to ask if the latest version of the plugin also includes the special addition to the stairmode (for the triangle slopes we discussed in MaxED's GZDoomBuilder thread, you posted a wip there) as I might need it now :)
No, it's a completely different plugin. And unfortunately TortoiseSVN screwed up my stair sector builder plugin code (for some reason it wrote the diff code to the file), so I had to revert and the changes are gone.
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

boris wrote: that's what the plugin does in Hexen format.
Ah ok. But for 3D slopes I gotta be in UDMF though, right?

So far I've been managing the additional control sectors' tags manually and moving them alongside the control sector for the first 3D floor. It's not too bad to keep track of and it's still a helluva lot easier that way than doing it all by hand without the plugin, so thanks hugely!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”