GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDB plugin: 3D floor mode

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have some difficulty with getting slopes to work.
Do I have to make a new small sector for each slope data, or do I just make one large sector for all the slopes ?

Could you make another short video with the v2.0 version to show how the plugin deals with slopes ?
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

If it helps Kappes, Draw a single small sector for ALL slope data (the one youre prompted for when you enter draw slopes mode for the first time), not one for each. Its used for undo/redo functions, which I think Boris is having a look at at the minute anyway.

Other than that, depending on how far you've figured out already:

1. Make sure that Draw Slope Vertices and End Drawing Slope Vertices are assigned in Preferences>Controls, under 3D Floor Plugin. (probably LMB and RMB?)

2. If the slope is to be on a standard floor, switch to Draw Slopes mode in 2D editing (there are 2 seperate modes, Draw Slopes and (edit) Slopes Modes.)

3. Select if the slope is to be applied to floor, ceiling or both with the toolbar buttons (F, C or FC). Draw your vertices (either 2 for a single axis slope (ie. just one direction), or 3 (with the third at an angle to the first 2) for more complex slopes along 2 axes.

4. Now enter Slopes Mode and your slope will appear as 2 vertices with a white line joining. Right click on each vertex and set its z-value for height.

Done.

For slopes on 3D floors, between steps 1 and 2, switch to Sector Mode and select your 3D Floor's control sector so it is highlighted. Switch back to Draw Slopes mode and draw your vertices where you want them on the _actual_ map (ie. not on the control sector). Then do step 4. Hope this helps!
boris

Post by boris »

Kappes Buur wrote:I have some difficulty with getting slopes to work.
Do I have to make a new small sector for each slope data, or do I just make one large sector for all the slopes ?

Could you make another short video with the v2.0 version to show how the plugin deals with slopes ?
What DracoNoir said is pretty much spot on. Right now I'm on a 64kbit mobile internet connection, so unfortunately I can't upload (or download, for that matter) anything that's bigger than a few MB without going insane.
boris

Post by boris »

Here's version 0.2.1:

- Fixed a bug where custom UDMF fields were not removed from the slope data sector when deleting a SVG, resulting in unexpected behavior when undoing or redoing anything
- Fixed a crash when the sector height could not be computed from a SVG

Download: https://github.com/biwa/3dfloormode/releases/tag/v0.2.1
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Finally I have some success with 2D and 3D sloped sectors.
Thanks guys.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
What threw me for a loop was
boris wrote:
  • Unfortunately that means you have a tiny bit work to do - you have to let the slope drawing mode set up a management sector, where all the slope data is stored. Easiest way to do that is to create a new sector (you don't use for anything but storing the slope data in), select it and switch to slope drawing mode. Make sure to read the dialog carefully and select "Use selected sector".
which made me create a separate sector, which I could not reconcile with the slope setup.
boris wrote:Here's version 0.2.1
:thumb:
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

I noticed that the slope end points do not snap to the editor grid, but seem to have a grid of their own
which makes it very difficult to overlay them onto non- rectangular linedefs
Spoiler:
and thusly do not align properly to the top and bottom sloped 3D sections of a circular roof
Spoiler:
Would it be at all possible to do something about that ?
boris

Post by boris »

Yeah, you're right, it's not working as expected. I guess I'll finally have to implement a proper drag slope vertex mode.
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

Hm that's odd, I've not come across this at all, I can drag or place vertices either snapped to grid, or snapped to existing geometry- seems to do it automatically.

Well I'm pretty sure it does anyway?!

EDIT: New version of the plugin is a whole 512 bytes larger than the old... It's just not good enough, Boris! :P What do you think I'm made of? Terabytes?? :wink:

Thanks friend :) :)

EDIT:
Hm that's odd, I've not come across this at all, I can drag or place vertices either snapped to grid, or snapped to existing geometry- seems to do it automatically.

Well I'm pretty sure it does anyway?!
Ohhhh right, with version 0.2.1 I have the same thing with the grid snapping. Was fine in 0.2.0 :wink:

It does actually snap to grid at the 1mu zoom level, at lower res levels, it will stay snapped in relation to where you were in 1mu mode.

eg. you are in 1mu zoom and snap is fine. Switch to 2mu and where you placed your vertex is now in between the gridlines. Your vertex will drag in increments 2mu up or down, (or left or right :wink: ) but stay 1mu off the gridline every time, as if the grid for vertices 'redraws' relative to the vertex as you change res, rather than being fixed.

Same at every res level. So if you placed a vertex at 1mu zoom which was 1mu off a 4mu gridline, in 4mu zoom, it will always be 1mu off that gridline (of whichever axis) but move by the zoom amount (4mu in this example). Does that make sense? I can't really explain it better than that. Try zooming in to 1mu and moving your vertex, then changing res without zooming out and move it again and you'll see what I mean.

As I say, It worked fine in 0.2.0 so is there a need for a seperate drag mode?

As a workaround for now, move your vertex as close as you can at low res, then zoom in to 1mu to fine tune.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Something else which I miss is the identification of the vertex slope ends as F (floor) and C (ceiling) as in the older version.
Now all end points just show Z, which I assume is for z-height. This makes it a bit confusing in selecting the correct floor
slope or ceiling slope. More than once, the correct slope was selected only after some trial and error.
Spoiler:
DracoNoir

Post by DracoNoir »

I thought that F or C or both appeared along the adjoining line but apparently not according to your screenshot. Yeah this would be handy but at least usually your ceiling slope z values would be higher than the floor so a bit easier to identify.
boris

Post by boris »

The F and C appear in the sector that has the slope applied. For sloped 3D floors that's the control sector. It's not ideal and I plan to change it so that the F and C also appear on the tagged sector (it's already tinted blue/grey when highlighting a slope vertex). Changing the Z back to F/C doesn't make sense, because the slope can be applied to both floors and ceilings at the same time.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

The multi-tag sectors with the 3D Floor handler system is starting to go haywire on maps created with earlier versions of this plugin. Whenever I attempt to add a new 3D floor I get a random bunch of already-existing control sectors added in as well. Just a fair warning to anyone in a similar situation, be prepared to recreate a bit if you update.
boris

Post by boris »

Jaxxoon R wrote:The multi-tag sectors with the 3D Floor handler system is starting to go haywire on maps created with earlier versions of this plugin. Whenever I attempt to add a new 3D floor I get a random bunch of already-existing control sectors added in as well. Just a fair warning to anyone in a similar situation, be prepared to recreate a bit if you update.
Yes, since the addon is still in development backwards compatibility is not on my priority list. Otherwise improvements would be hindered by it.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

crash report
At least I think it is a legitimate crash and not something wrong with my system.
I was using GZDB_r2429 and ThreeDFloorMode-v0.2.1.

So I load the map from an unexpected crash
Spoiler:
Then I set out to try and have it crash again. I believe I have found the cause.
I highlight a sector which already is set up as 3D floor and right-click to bring up the 3D floors panel to check some settings
Spoiler:
The crash ocurrs when I close the panel by clicking on the X instead of Cancel
Spoiler:
Crash Report
***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
GZDB: R2429

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.ThreeDFloorMode.ThreeDFloorHelperMode.SetupLabels()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.ThreeDFloorMode.ThreeDFloorHelperMode.OnEditEnd()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.Action.End() in x:\Source\Core\Actions\Action.cs:line 270
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.EndActiveActions() in x:\Source\Core\Actions\ActionManager.cs:line 619
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.KeyReleased(Int32 key) in x:\Source\Core\Actions\ActionManager.cs:line 530
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.display_MouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) in x:\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:line 1218
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
boris

Post by boris »

Kappes Buur wrote:crash report
The temporary sectors used for the "edit control sector" button in the 3D floor editing window were not disposed when closing the window with the X. Will be fixed in the next version (change is committed).

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”