jZDL v0.2

Software projects like source ports (EDGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

jZDL v0.2

Postby TheFortuneTeller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Hello everyone, I am the user who once went by the awful screen name of "Salad Viking", and I have appeared out of the blue well over a year after last posting because I have content to share.

One or two of you may have a fuzzy memory that I posted something similar to this before, but nothing ever came out of it. Well, I recently created a much more robust version of the primitive product I made long ago, and it's ready for beta testing.

jZDL
jZDL is a frontend program for ZDoom (and spawn) for the Java Virtual Machine. It is, obviously, named after the ubiquitous ZDL by BioHazard. Powered by Java, jZDL is small, flexible, and cross-platform. jZDL is an open source program under the zlib license, so anyone can download it, distribute it, and examine the (rough) code.

Features:
  • Cross-platform: jZDL will run on any desktop computer with a Java runtime installed.
  • XML data storage: User settings are saved in readable, schema-validated XML files.
  • Easy interface: You can add source ports, IWADs, and more from within the GUI interface, so there's no need to know XML.
  • Saved sessions: An idea thrown around before, saved sessions allow you to keep a record of your favorite WADs and setups and quickly load them for future play.
  • Recent sessions: jZDL keeps track of your gameplay history and allows you to reload recently played sessions.
  • International support: The beta release of jZDL is available in English and Spanish. Anyone can submit a new or revised translation. Just make a new resource bundle from the LocalizedStrings bundle in the jzdl.resources.localization package of the source code and post it or PM it.
  • In-development: And I'm open to feature suggestions.
Info:
To install and run jZDL, follow the instructions in the README file. You will need to have version 7 or later of the Java runtime installed. Get it here or here (if you want the 64-bit version).

Download:
v0.1
v0.2
UPDATE v0.2:
  • Added an option in the Settings tab to toggle automatically loading the last played session
Try it out. This is a beta release, so be on the lookout for bugs, and report any you find.
Last edited by TheFortuneTeller on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFortuneTeller

Re: jZDL v0.1

Postby lzvk25 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 am

First the jZDL.bat didn't work, so, I had to edit it and hardcode the java path :

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar jzdl.jar

And then I got this error :

Spoiler:

My java version :

Spoiler:

UPDATE : I updated my JAVA version to 7.0.90.5 which is the latest and now it works.
lzvk25

Re: jZDL v0.2

Postby TheFortuneTeller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Update to version 0.2
TheFortuneTeller

Return to Software and Ports