The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SamVision

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWo

Post by SamVision »

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up, are skies in yet?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

A search for "sky"/"skies" in commits yields nothing relevant, so I guess not.
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Nevander said in the last page you need the activision release to use ECWolf? Is this true? I have the SuperCD pack and didn't notice any problems?
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

It is true. There are far less common id and GT releases that are identical outside of the exe though. Usually people either have the Activision or Apogee release and the latter needs to be patched.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Would a port of Spear Resurrection and Spear End of Destiny be possible with ECWolf?
Gez

Post by Gez »

One would have to ask AReyP and MCS if they'd be willing to share the source code to their TC, so that it could be ported to ECWolf.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Wiw wrote:Would a port of Spear Resurrection and Spear End of Destiny be possible with ECWolf?
Gez wrote:One would have to ask AReyP and MCS if they'd be willing to share the source code to their TC, so that it could be ported to ECWolf.
Damn, those are the games I want to see coming to ECWolf the most.
I tried registering to the DieHard Wolfers forums but had some strange problems with my email on registration, and still got no response from the email I've sent them.
Are these guys still active?
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I've had a look, and I did find an EoD SDL version. It does work fairly well.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

All 3 of them have SDL versions (Spear Ressurrection, a second version of Spear Ressurrection with new maps and End of Destiny), but I still miss some things from ECWolf like widescreen resolutions, automap, mod capability, full keyboard+mouse mapping (including disabling the mouse Y-axis) for modern controls, etc etc etc.

EDIT: Just found out that you actually can run wolf4SDL in custom resolution using the parameter --resf <width><height> (for example, sod2sdl.exe --resf 1920 1080).
Of course, it's still not close to what ECWolf can (and will be able to) do, but helps.
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Blzut3 wrote:It is true. There are far less common id and GT releases that are identical outside of the exe though. Usually people either have the Activision or Apogee release and the latter needs to be patched.
OK, I have them all except the iD mail order because it's massively rare and when I see it on ebay it's too expensive for me. I'll use the activision one then, is there a patch to fix the "breathing" BJ is supposed to do on the level complete screen?

So I can use my SuperCD Pack for the SoD ones?

Can I use my original Super 3D Noah's Ark files too?

Also, I'm very much looking forward to Corridor 7, Operation Body Count and ROTT support. If you ever need testers with legit versions please let me know, I have all 4 versions of the CD-ROM of Corridor 7 although only the original release has the CD Audio.

Any plans to also support Shadowcaster? Or is that engine just too different.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Regarding all the different versions of Wolf3D, if your version doesn't work in ECWolf as-is, there is a helpful patching utility you can get from the downloads page that will make it work correctly. Unsure about the BJ breathing issue, though, but I recall there is at least an FAQ entry about it.

The Spear of Destiny SuperCD Pack should work fine, as there is only known to be one version of Spear floating around; just make sure that, if you've run the game at all through DOSBox, that "Mission 1" was the last game played on it, as its launcher does file-renaming to substitute the mission packs in and out.

I'm not so sure on the Super 3D Noah's Ark files, though. Blzut3 might have to let you know.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

There is only one known version of Super 3D Noah's Ark. The 20th AE version works just like Strife Veteran Edition in that the patched content is just an add-on wad.

Spear of Destiny only has one known version, but Ultimate Challenge has two versions. The one on the Super CD I consider correct ("non-UAC version"), but ECWolf works fine with either.
RoyBatty wrote:Any plans to also support Shadowcaster? Or is that engine just too different.
The Raven engine used by Shadowcaster and In Pursuit of Greed is outside of the scope of the project.
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Allrighty all my versions will work then, I did buy Super 3D on steam to support you too.

Thanks gentlemen.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Is there a complete list of ECWolf parameters somewhere (e.g. --data, -file, -resf, etc.)? Google is not helping me much here. I was looking specifically for a parameter that let me define a directory or zip file as a "iwad" (I don't no if such a parameter even exists).
On a side note, the --data parameter works well on windows but doesn't seem to work on linux (ubuntu distro).
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

There is no way currently to define a zip/wad as an IWAD. In the development versions you can change IWADINFO in ecwolf.pk3 to force it to do so, but you can't do it from the command line.

The complete list minus --data is in --help. --data does work on Linux (I believe it's case sensitive though). I use it all the time during development (in fact, it's kind of why it's there).

Return to “Game Engines”