ZDL 3.2.2.2 Released (UPDATED August 8th 2012)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lcferrum

Re: ZDL 3.2.2.2 Released (UPDATED August 8th 2012)

Post by Lcferrum »

Back in Borland's days, up-triangle was a standard glyph used in "edit record" button in database view. Just a historical background, this is where I got the idea for the glyph. But I agree with you - it's kind of misleading when it's used to "enable" or "disable" items. I'll come up with something more suitable for the next release.
Scottbert

Post by Scottbert »

Thanks! Linux binary works like a charm!
SergeantDiggs

Post by SergeantDiggs »

Love the enable/disable feature! I've loaded all the mods I use and enable/disable when I use them. Seriously, I have around 30+ items in total, it's ridiculous. I'm so glad I checked this forum when I did.
dugan-c

Post by dugan-c »

VGA wrote:Biohazard created ZDL and a few other good people contributed to it. You should fork it and continue development.
QBasicer wrote:The project is on github (https://github.com/qbasicer/qzdl/). Feel free to fork the project entirely, or submit a pull request.

When I started the project (the Qt port, I had previously done the C# port), I did not know Qt, and by the end of it, I was very proficient with Qt. I made use of signals in probably an unorthodox way: save and load signals are sent and each widget passes the signal to it's children and/or to it's parent. Otherwise, it should be fairly straightforward. I did intend to write a plugin system in Lua and multiplayer matchmaking, but I failed to generate sufficient interest to warrant actually developing it. I'm not sure there's much, if any, of Bio's original Win32 version left in the code base.

As a Qt expert, I would suggest that you rewrite the entire UI in Qt5.
My work is done. Pull request submitted.

https://github.com/qbasicer/qzdl/pull/51

This is a later iteration of the previous attempts, including the fork that fixed the closeOnLaunch crash, the one that Ryan Musumante found.

For those wondering: yes, I did keep qbasicer in the loop about what I was doing these past three years. I didn't just suddenly drop this massive changeset on him from out of nowhere yesterday.

I didn't take Lcferrum's work into account at all; I would expect that to come after the pull request is merged.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

I expect the PR to merge within the next day or so. I still do not have a way to build and package the executable, so hopefully we can find a solution to that. I also have it on my todo to bring back the ZDL website again (I had planned on having that up in the Spring, but it didn't happen).

Thanks for all the hard work - that codebase was not well written :)

- Q
Lcferrum

Post by Lcferrum »

Thanks to Duganchen for all the hard work on refactoring ZDL sources! Feel free to port any fixes/additions I made to your fork. Of course I will not abandon my fork and will continue to support it and add new features, because this is all this fork is about. BTW, new version, that will include Mac OS X release, is on the way.

Also, the dreaded closeOnLaunch crash is also fixed in my fork, though I didn't specifically mentioned it because fork is based on the sources that already included the fix.

And kudos to Q for still keeping an eye on the ZDL development after all these years.
okuplok2k

Post by okuplok2k »

I'm having a problem. The warp feature of ZDL passes the "+map xx" parameter to the executable, but some source ports such as Chocolate Doom use the "-warp xx" parameter for this instead. This means that when the game is started, the map parameter is ignored and the game starts on the first map. Am I missing something or is it not possible to select a map with these source ports?
Lcferrum

Post by Lcferrum »

It's a known issue and it's already fixed in the git. You'll have to wait for the next release or compile it by yourself. I'm hoping that I'll release the thing till the end of January.

Return to “Launchers”