ZDL 3.2.2.2 Released (UPDATED August 8th 2012)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
printz

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.12 Released (UPDATED July 6th 2012)

Post by printz »

QBasicer wrote:
printz wrote:Will this be bundled with the Macintosh ZDoom releases, so when you double click ZDoom.App, you run this front-end, which in turn runs the ZDoom executable?
There are currently no plans to bundle ZDL with ZDoom.

Further, there's no ZDL for Mac at the moment due to lack of physical and programmer resources. I have no eta, but I'd love to support OSX.
You said it's on Qt, I'm pretty sure the framework has a Mac version too...
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

printz wrote:
QBasicer wrote:
printz wrote:Will this be bundled with the Macintosh ZDoom releases, so when you double click ZDoom.App, you run this front-end, which in turn runs the ZDoom executable?
There are currently no plans to bundle ZDL with ZDoom.

Further, there's no ZDL for Mac at the moment due to lack of physical and programmer resources. I have no eta, but I'd love to support OSX.
You said it's on Qt, I'm pretty sure the framework has a Mac version too...
True, and it does compile and run on Mac from what I'm told.

However, launching does not work. Plus, I have no way to compile releases and post the binaries.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

QBasicer wrote:However, launching does not work. Plus, I have no way to compile releases and post the binaries.
I'm able to provide VNC/SSH to a Mac if needed.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Blzut3 wrote:
QBasicer wrote:However, launching does not work. Plus, I have no way to compile releases and post the binaries.
I'm able to provide VNC/SSH to a Mac if needed.
That's what I need to get going!

Should I PM you my public keys?
JOESIXPACK

Post by JOESIXPACK »

I like what I see here, I've got qZDL & I'm interested in multiplayer, there's just one problem, I don't know any IPs to enter to join a game. I searched for a list on google, people talking about hooking up for a multiplayer, nothing. Am I missing something?
VGA

Post by VGA »

JOESIXPACK wrote:I like what I see here, I've got qZDL & I'm interested in multiplayer, there's just one problem, I don't know any IPs to enter to join a game. I searched for a list on google, people talking about hooking up for a multiplayer, nothing. Am I missing something?
qZDL is just a launcher, you need to use a server browser like Doomseeker of IDE to find public servers.
http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Hellser »

Also too, ZDooM doesn't support join-in-progress games. If you are truly interested in playing DooM online, you might want to look into something like Zandronum, Odamex or ZDaemon. Just note that Zandronum -- while it is based on ZDooM -- is outdated as far as features go. By I think two years?
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

While historically, I have always planned for something like Doom Connector, I'm not seeing any need since DoomSeeker solves that problem. There's no point in duplicating functionality.

VGA is correct, ZDL does nothing more than translate the GUI full of information into a command line argument, so that you don't have to remember the arguments, paths, etc. Unfortunately, ZDoom inherited Doom's multiplayer, which does not follow the same model as modern multiplayer games. Games must be set up in advance, and no joining may occur once the game is started, and I don't think that will ever change in ZDoom.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

DoomSeeker requires established servers (meaning C/S-based ports). A service for non-C/S ports would have you log into the service instead, and it would establish the game afterward. (Which I guess is what Doom Connector does.)
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

NeuralStunner wrote:DoomSeeker requires established servers (meaning C/S-based ports). A service for non-C/S ports would have you log into the service instead, and it would establish the game afterward. (Which I guess is what Doom Connector does.)
Doom Connector actually handled everything just like qZDL does -- via command lines. From ZDooM to Skulltag (during its time, of course).
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

I just don't think it's worth writing, DoomSeeker provides what people want I'm guessing.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Enjay from another Thread wrote:Ouch. 3.2.2.0 forgets all my settings when it closes. I mean all of them - IWADs, ports, everything. :(
Also encountering this problem. It seems to delete the .ini file? Also, not sure if this should be related or not, but I can't move multiple wads/pk3s down in the External File list. Would it also be possible for the mouse to move the list around? Or no? Doesn't matter if the mouse can't do it. Just a little ease for users, I suppose.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Hellser wrote:
Enjay from another Thread wrote:Ouch. 3.2.2.0 forgets all my settings when it closes. I mean all of them - IWADs, ports, everything. :(
Also encountering this problem. It seems to delete the .ini file? Also, not sure if this should be related or not, but I can't move multiple wads/pk3s down in the External File list. Would it also be possible for the mouse to move the list around? Or no? Doesn't matter if the mouse can't do it. Just a little ease for users, I suppose.
I've reverted the current version, I'll take a look into the multiple file move.

Not sure of the complexity of the mouse moving, I can take a look.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Hey guys,
Having some network issues at home so I'm a bit late posting the new beta.

If anybody's interested, they can try a prototype at http://zdl.vectec.net/builds/ZDL-win32- ... -08-45.zip. The updater code is invalid so it's going to say there's an update when there isn't. I don't think all the documentation is correct either.

Anyways, give it a try, and let me know if you notice any problems.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

From my testing, everything seems fine. Been using it for a day now.

Return to “Launchers”