DoomRunner GUI Front-End for (G)ZDoom

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sirthunder516

DoomRunner GUI Front-End for (G)ZDoom

Post by sirthunder516 »

Hi everybody! I've created a front-end supporting several source ports including ZDoom and GZDoom. I've packaged it with PrBoom by default (because PrBoom is no longer being updated and it's fairly stable across different platforms), but I've always preferred ZDoom myself. Anyway, here you go. It's likely completely different from any other launcher you've seen before. It has much more of a multiplayer feel and style to it (sort of like the zDaemon launcher), even though DoomRunner is intended for single-player. You create "profiles", which are DoomRunner-specific configuration files that contain wad information, screen resolution, sound settings, etc. DoomRunner can store up to 30. This makes switching between ports, wads, and other information easy because you could create, for example, one configuration that launches Alien Vendetta in GZDoom at a high res for when you're only gaming, and Alien Vendetta in PrBoom with OpenGL disabled at a low res for when you have some intense multitasking going on in the background (and then switch between these configurations at the click of your mouse). Let me know what you guys think!

It supports Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP/Vista/7, and Linux.

Download links and screenshots are here: http://retronuggetdev.com/doomrunner/
Small tutorial for beginners is here: http://retronuggetdev.com/tutorials/doomrunner.php
Official documentation is here: http://retronuggetdev.com/doomrunner/documentation.html

Written in C++ with Qt. Compiles in GCC.
Salad Viking

Re: DoomRunner GUI Front-End for (G)ZDoom

Post by Salad Viking »

It's neat, but... it's rather complicated, isn't it? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a basic launching setup like ZDL to complement the profiles deal? It's definitely not uncool though.
sirthunder516

Post by sirthunder516 »

Salad Viking wrote:It's neat, but... it's rather complicated, isn't it? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a basic launching setup like ZDL to complement the profiles deal? It's definitely not uncool though.
Yeah, it's sorta complicated at first. I never really liked ZDL that much though because it always felt that it was so simple it ended up being pretty cumbersome to use, so I created this which allows for easily switching between profiles. If you take a closer look at DoomRunner hopefully it won't seem too hard, all profile settings are accessible through the "Edit" button and some (like display resolution) can be automatically configured. Have you taken a look at the tutorial?
http://retronuggetdev.com/tutorials/doomrunner.php
Thanks for the feedback.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Yeah, no, I saw the tutorial; I mean that there's no way to launch a game other than creating a profile for it. It's just really... roundabout.
sirthunder516

Post by sirthunder516 »

Salad Viking wrote:Yeah, no, I saw the tutorial; I mean that there's no way to launch a game other than creating a profile for it. It's just really... roundabout.
Gotcha. I'll look at adding a "quick launch" mode or something like that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Seems nice but too involved for me. I like the simplicity of ZDL. A simple frontend for WADs and ports with a space for command line options is teh win as far as I'm concerned. I know some people prefer more to be settable via the GUI but that, IMO, is cumbersome. ;)
Average

Post by Average »

Yeah, a quick launch front tab similar to ZDL or C#arp for a quick blast of a new wad or something with the normal Doom Runner as a more in-depth configurable for more permanent set ups would be good. I like the idea of this though. Well done. :)
sirthunder516

Post by sirthunder516 »

Enjay wrote:Seems nice but too involved for me. I like the simplicity of ZDL. A simple frontend for WADs and ports with a space for command line options is teh win as far as I'm concerned. I know some people prefer more to be settable via the GUI but that, IMO, is cumbersome. ;)
Average wrote:Yeah, a quick launch front tab similar to ZDL or C#arp for a quick blast of a new wad or something with the normal Doom Runner as a more in-depth configurable for more permanent set ups would be good. I like the idea of this though. Well done. :)
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll see about adding some type of ZDL-style quick mode as well as more in-depth settings.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Heh, looks like I need to get back to working on ZDL 4 again.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Bio Hazard wrote:Heh, looks like I need to get back to working on ZDL 4 again.
:roll:

Return to “Launchers”