SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest release: v3.1.1.5 (18/Jan/2017

Post by Nash »

SLADE crashes with the generic Windows crash when trying to open Total Chaos' PK3. https://wadaholic.wordpress.com/
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Gez wrote:Trying to compile SLADE is like pulling teeth. 2538 errors, most of them being unresolved externals because it doesn't link right with wxWidgets. Despite it being a fresh new download of the version appropriate for the compiler and platform. Augh!
I find I still have to build wx myself rather than use their precompiled libs. Make sure to use the same platform setting (VS2015 - WinXP) when building wx too.

Eventually I'd like to be able to use vcpkg for all the windows dependencies, however currently it doesn't have wxWidgets, and I can't get static libraries to work properly with it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Would it be possible for ZGL3/XGL3 nodes to be recognized by SLADE in a future release? Right now they will show as an Unknown lump, which is only an issue for SLADE recognizing the lump itself. There is actually nothing wrong with the lump AFAIK so having SLADE recognize it would certainly cut down on confusion, not to mention help the people like me who are OCD and hate seeing something like that stick out from the rest of normal nodes lumps.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah it'll be recognized. Don't worry too much about it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

sirjuddington wrote:I find I still have to build wx myself rather than use their precompiled libs. Make sure to use the same platform setting (VS2015 - WinXP) when building wx too.
WxWidgets doesn't seem to have a WinXP target, though.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Gez wrote:
sirjuddington wrote:I find I still have to build wx myself rather than use their precompiled libs. Make sure to use the same platform setting (VS2015 - WinXP) when building wx too.
WxWidgets doesn't seem to have a WinXP target, though.
You'll have to select all the wxwidgets projects, right click, 'Properties' then select the right platform toolset there.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The project are all badly configured. Why only fully DLL and CRT as DLL? I always need static CRT so that I can ship the resulting binaries as portable install without having to worry about those people who need to run it on some systems that are so badly maintained that essential things are missing - the VS2015 CRT is one of the worst.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Yeah it's definitely a pain. Hopefully this will help a bit with it once it's officially in.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Further to:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24955&start=2475#p977068

So, it appears that Slade3, initially, cannot handle multiple TEXTURE1 and TEXTURES lumps properly when they are in the same pwad. Multiple tabs are created when doubleclicking on TEXTURE1 to open the Texture Editor, the display is scrambled. Then clicking on those tabs corrects the display.
Spoiler:
However, clicking first on TEXTURES displays the text correctly and doubleclicking opens all TEXTURE tabs and the Texture Editor.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Hey Sirjuddington,

SLADE crashes when I try to recolor my CONFONT lump (using Color Remap) into greyscale (which is what I really want it to be in!). Can this be fixed?.

BTW, have you ever thought of adding a 'perfect' script decompiler option?.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Sirjuddington,

One more question: have you ever thought of renaming your editor from 'SLADE 3' to 'SADE!'?...the 'Seriously Awesome Doom Editor!'?. Think about that, your editor is technically the best darn Doom editor around (even though it's not perfect, yet) and possibly the ONLY editor a Doom modder will ever need! (along with GZDoom Builder and a couple other programs perhaps). I also think what would be a dream come true would be if SLADE's map editor were to unite/merge with GZDoom Builder. Now that would be sweet wouldn't it?!. 8-)

Anyways, give this some thought and I was only wondering if you'd want to take this idea into consideration, because the name 'Seriously Awesome Doom Editor!' (or SADE!) just sounds more suitable and better to me than what the current name stands for...am I right folks?...

Peace!
-cmw1986
Gez

Post by Gez »

trivia: SLADE originally stood for "Slayer's Leet-Ass Doom Editor"

SADE would remind me a bit too much of the divin marquis.

As for merging with GZDB... No. Far too different. GZDB is coded in C# using the .NET framework and DirectX for Windows; SLADE is in C++ using the wxWidgets framework and OpenGL to be multiplatform.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Gez wrote:trivia: SLADE originally stood for "Slayer's Leet-Ass Doom Editor"

SADE would remind me a bit too much of the divin marquis.

As for merging with GZDB... No. Far too different. GZDB is coded in C# using the .NET framework and DirectX for Windows; SLADE is in C++ using the wxWidgets framework and OpenGL to be multiplatform.
Well, all my message was was just an interesting thought right?. I'll wait and see what SJ says. :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

cmw1986 wrote:Well, all my message was was just an interesting thought right?. I'll wait and see what SJ says. :)
Do you honestly expect one programmer on the same project to disagree with another on such a fundamental issue?

Gez even told you a reason why they would not want to do it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

"SLADE" sounds infinitely better than "SADE".

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”