SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 5 (11/Sep/2017)

Software projects like source ports (3DGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 5 (11/Sep/2017)

Postby MartinHowe » Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I am looking at giving up in despair on SLADE3. Crash, crash, crash. I can live with the occasional crash, in a beta, but there are no stable Linux builds available from the SLADE3 website and installing SLADE3 from the DRD repo also yields the beta. The instructions for building SLADE on Ubuntu are way out of date and the suggestions don't work.

I realise that SJ is doing all of this on his own time and not making money out of it, so do appreciate it will be a while before anything happens. However, this leaves me without a working map editor. I have at least got GZDB to work in a Windows VM, but it is slow even on my gaming rig and there are too many artefacts using ZDoom in the VM; I'm amazed they work at all :)

So in the meantime, does anyone have a copy of the last stable version of SLADE3 executable file from a debian based Linux distro that they could post here?

EDIT: And for the EVULZ, I got SLADE3 and ZDoom windows versions working in WINE and they are faster and less flaky than the VM! If there is a God, he's barking mad :p
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby irontusk341 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 pm

I have noticed slade 3.1.2 is that the larger the pk3 file, the more it crashes when accessing PNG versions of Textures or Flats.

i have been running into this problem more frequently as i make a 4k Texture pack for Heretic.
irontusk341
I sense a Soul in Search of Answers

Postby sk1re » Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am

@MartinHowe
I have a Slade 3.1.2 beta5 executable for every major Linux x64 distro. (package contains binary+dependencies)
Simply unzip and launch the script "run_slade.sh" - no installation required.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/px944av3t ... 3.zip/file ~52MB

hf,
sk1re
sk1re

Postby MartinHowe » Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks, for the offer; sadly, I already have that from DRD repo. What I would like to try is if anyone still has a copy of the last *stable* version (not a beta).
MartinHowe

Postby Caligari87 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

You can actually get all past builds that the repo hosted, here: http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/s/slade/

I think 3.1.1.5 was maybe the last technically "stable" version but stable is relative (the current beta is fine for me), 3.1.2 has had several betas since the middle of last year and I presume one of them was working for you until relatively recently.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby MartinHowe » Thu May 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Actually, I have not done any mapping for about 18 months and have only recently started again; in other words, for the first time since moving to Linux -- i.e. where DoomBuilder does not exist ... so am acutally a SLADE n00b :p I'm dreading yet another learning curve; I have used SLADE as a lump editor/wad tool in the past but not for mapping, so this will be a new one. I really do want to to give SLADE a chance, but it needs to be stable enough for me to do so.
MartinHowe

Postby Silentdarkness12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Compiled a USDF script and put it into a wad. Slade thinks it's a Build graphics, and won't let me save it.
Silentdarkness12
Level 7: ZScript Victim

Postby Gez » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Can you upload the file for testing?

In the meantime, unless you're targeting vanilla Strife compatibility, you can use the source in your mod, GZDoom can read those just fine.
Gez

Postby Silentdarkness12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm

.o extension is not allowed, so i'm just attatching the text file.
Attachments
DIALOG.txt
(289 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
Silentdarkness12
Level 7: ZScript Victim

Postby Gez » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm

.zip extension is allowed...
Gez

Postby CWolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 am

Guess I need some help.

Zoom slider went nowhere. Which is strange since I did nothing for it happened.

How to fix that?
CWolf
Mankind require be cleansed

Location: Volker realm (where Hell is just another part of bloodlust celebration)

Previous

Return to Software and Ports