grabpng - now with 15% more grab

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bagheadspidey

Re: grabpng - not just a batch tool anymore (gui added)

Post by bagheadspidey »

Alright, time for an update. This tool now has a gui in addition to the command line stuff mentioned before.
Spoiler: screenshots
I wrote:Get the program (for windows or linux*), view the readme or browse the source.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I second Enjay's suggestion in the other thread for specifying backgrounds other than black. I have a black decal with transparency, and it not only doesn't show up properly - even if it did, I wouldn't have been able to see it because it's black.

Try this PNG: http://nash.wanzafran.com/doomstuff/dar ... orderd.png

EDIT: Also, please don't replace grabpng command line tool - it has its uses as well and I prefer if the command line tool and this GUI were two separate programs. :(

LOL should have read the readme. They are both built into the program. SICK! Let me e-buy you a drink, spidey!

bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Thanks for the e-drink, Nash ;)
Chris: Windows apps are pretty dumb when it comes to a console window. Either you will have one, or you won't. Can't even make it so you have console output if it's started with a console and not otherwise.

Graf: Sure you can. But you have to dig into the Windows API if you want to have more control over the console
I don't want to have more control over the console... It acts fine on my system. But I see why you guys do. ;p I'll look into it.
Enjay: is this intended to supercede the other version you posted recently? ... Or is that somehow built into this version?
It still has all the old functionality. If you run it with a -grab or -alph option (from the command line or a batch file) it will act the way it did before (batch mode). If you run it with no arguments (click icon) or just files as arguments (drag file(s) onto icon) the visual editor will open.
Kappes: Could the cursor movement be reversed when clicking and holding the Grab X positioning
No idea what that's about, it's not reversed for me. I may just remove that behavior and make them normal text boxes.

To do:
  • - Add zoom option

- Add the ability to set a backround other than black.

- Add: When dragging multiple files on it it should only cycle through those instead of the entire directory. It would make it a lot easier to do changes which are only required in a subset of a large directory.

- Change: cursor movement reversed (on windows) when dragging the Grab X positioning?

- Change: get rid of the annoying console window on windows?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Spidey, have you checked out that PNG in your editor? It appears corrupted (a bunch of wacky tutti-frutti pixels).
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

No tutti frutti here. I thought your point was that it was black and didn't show up against the background =/

Anyone else getting tutti frutti with semi-transparent images?
Nash

Post by Nash »

This is what I'm getting. :(

EDIT: Please don't remove dragging the text boxes. It's great for axis-constrainted adjustments.

EDIT 2: May I suggest that if you use Open with on your your program, it'll load the image instantly into the editor. Useful for people who want to edit the offsets using the right-click menu in Windows.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You need a better homepage for your creations, they are worth it and definitely deserve a better home :P :) I could help if you are interested > PM
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Nash wrote:EDIT 2: May I suggest that if you use Open with on your your program, it'll load the image instantly into the editor. Useful for people who want to edit the offsets using the right-click menu in Windows.
The newest version does that. Get it from the link in the title post.

No idea what's up with that weirdness on that image... I'll have to do some windows testing soon I'm afraid.
Tormentor667 wrote:You need a better homepage for your creations, they are worth it and definitely deserve a better home :P :) I could help if you are interested > PM
I should set one up but I'm lazy. I have some stuff I wrote in XSLT that I kinda want to use but it's broken in IE right now =/ http://bagheadspidey.sitesled.com/test/noth

If you can get that looking right in IE that would be awesome =D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thanks for fixing the file opening. It's integrating seamlessly into my workflow now. ;) Background colour changing, zooming, and fixing transparencies and this'll be a winner. :D

Can any other Windows user, Enjay perhaps, try loading this image into grabpng and see if it comes out alright or corrupted? http://nash.wanzafran.com/doomstuff/dar ... orderd.png
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It looks the same on my machine as it does in your screen shot above.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Hmm... do either of these work?
borderd.rgba.png
borderd.rgba.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
borderd.8bit.colormap.png
borderd.8bit.colormap.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Your image is a greyscale+alpha image.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Both look good in grabpng.

However, the 8-bit one screws up in Photoshop CS4. I'll mainly be using this for my graphics creation and most probably work with 24-bit + alpha format.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Whew, good. I think gray pngs will be unsupported for a while.

Added background color and saving other image formats as png (second part was trickier than I thought, fltk documentation on indexed image formats was really lacking. Check out this huge comment I left here, with code sample straight from this tool =)

Up next: add zooming

Way later: booting into windows and testing this thing ;p

edit - 8bit+alpha has really sketchy support in gimp and psp too. (g)zdoom supports it though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Is the version with background colour changing uploaded? You should upload it so that we can, er, well, test together. :P
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

yes =) updates are listed here.

mousewheel zoom added, download updated -- let me know what you think.

To do:

- Add zoom option done

- Add the ability to set a background other than black. done

- Add: When dragging multiple files on it it should only cycle through those instead of the entire directory. It would make it a lot easier to do changes which are only required in a subset of a large directory.

- Change: cursor movement reversed when dragging the Grab X positioning? not going to change it. it's physically backwards - for some reason it didn't strike me as being weird before. But, it makes sense when you look at the numbers - they increase when you drag right and decrease when you drag left.

- Change: get rid of the annoying console window on windows?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”