ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Doom ports like 3DGE, launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Postby drfrag » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 am

For now it's solved with a batch file to start windowed. May be the problem is driver related (recent drivers could not deal with the poor ddraw emulation) and is affecting only the doubled and quadrupled low resolution modes not he native ones. I'm thinking about removing those modes for the latest windows versions.
@Graf Zahl: Did the modes strictly higher than 640*480 work properly or this is hopeless?
drfrag

Postby drfrag » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 am

I've checked those lowres modes and they actually are 100% software so 320x240 is the same as 640x480 and there's nothing to do there. However a directdraw to OpenGL wrapper such as DXGL should fix the problem, AFAIK the latest version runs ZDoom on GL 3 cards. On my old GL 2 card DXGL 0.42 worked but was slow, you'd need to add ZDoom to the app list on the configuration panel or copy ddraw.dll manually to the game folder. BTW a new 320x200 mode appeared but worked in 16 colors like some kind of EGA emulation, it was fun for a while. Dgvoodoo 2 should work as well.
drfrag

Postby drfrag » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 am

I don't see much interest on this however as a bonus i've posted an older version: ZDoom CLASSIC ,a ZDoom version from the good old days recompiled for 486 machines with some stuff and fixes added.
Why not 2.1.7 you may ask, well that one crashed instantly with a SIGSEV signal in thingdef.cpp (CreateNewActor) and didn't look good. May be trying to use memory without reserving it first.
I haven't tried it on a 486 however.
drfrag

Postby drfrag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 am

I've just updated the 2.8.1a release to fix sky scaling in low detail modes.
drfrag

Previous

Return to Software and Ports