3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Software projects like source ports (3DGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.

NOTE: This is NOT a Q&A or troubleshooting forum! This is for active projects only! Please use the General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby RUNSABER » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Node building in the newer builds is superbly fast, and I missed the splash screen for 3DGE very much :) Shadows look great with the engine as well. You can use hardcoded shadows, or sprites :) Even the teleport effects look nice.

Still having trouble with transparent/translucent objects. Here's an example shot from the last build:
Image
It appears transparent objects overlap other sprites/images and cuts them off. An issue I've been trying to point out since 2.0.4.

Gave Counterattack by Mechadon a run and my god, I'd be lucky to even have 15 FPS at the most. Maybe 3DGE isnt meant for large sector heavy wads? Or maybe my laptop is complete crap. *sigh*

Collision bobbing looks good. reminds me of the wall-running from Vanilla/PrBoom but wobbliness could be tweaked in the future. Looking forward to the 2.1F release.
User avatar
RUNSABER
Battlehammer God
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2015

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Heavy maps do take a hit, but because 3DGE is inefficient at rendering them. Eventually we will refactor that entirely -- we already have a plan of action for that :-)

I'll look into your sprite blending issues :-)
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:55 am

RUNSABER wrote:Node building in the newer builds is superbly fast, and I missed the splash screen for 3DGE very much :) Shadows look great with the engine as well. You can use hardcoded shadows, or sprites :) Even the teleport effects look nice.

Still having trouble with transparent/translucent objects. Here's an example shot from the last build:
Image
It appears transparent objects overlap other sprites/images and cuts them off. An issue I've been trying to point out since 2.0.4.

Gave Counterattack by Mechadon a run and my god, I'd be lucky to even have 15 FPS at the most. Maybe 3DGE isnt meant for large sector heavy wads? Or maybe my laptop is complete crap. *sigh*

Collision bobbing looks good. reminds me of the wall-running from Vanilla/PrBoom but wobbliness could be tweaked in the future. Looking forward to the 2.1F release.

Double Post!!! <3

Can you send me that test map to my email RUNSABER? I have a hunch I can fix it myself - I just need that exact project to play with =D

But I'm glad you are enjoying it!
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby CeeJay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:46 am

Played around a bit with Wolf3DGE. Gameplay is really fast and smooth, was amazed at how intense it felt. However...

The player movement is jerky and very distracting, this includes the movement of the HUD weapon.

The shadow mechanic needs work, because all sprites in this particular mod have a canvas of 128 in width the shadows show up as a big squares on the floor. It needs to ignore the translucent canvas part.

I thought that maybe the variable sound pitch would grow on me but no, I really really dislike it. Other than that, has anything been done to the sound playback?

More weird graphical issues, such as lines briefly showing up on walls, walls appearing bent and stretched at times. Don't think screenshots would help much since this is so subtle.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:22 am

CeeJay wrote:Played around a bit with Wolf3DGE. Gameplay is really fast and smooth, was amazed at how intense it felt. However...
The shadow mechanic needs work, because all sprites in this particular mod have a canvas of 128 in width the shadows show up as a big squares on the floor. It needs to ignore the translucent canvas part.

It might be the graphic itself that needs optimization. You can find it in edge2.pak (in ./graphics/shadowst.png). The graphic was a test so it probably can be optimized -- but more importantly, it can be replaced =)

CeeJay wrote:I thought that maybe the variable sound pitch would grow on me but no, I really really dislike it. Other than that, has anything been done to the sound playback?

This will become CVAR-icized shortly =)

CeeJay wrote:More weird graphical issues, such as lines briefly showing up on walls, walls appearing bent and stretched at times. Don't think screenshots would help much since this is so subtle.

[/quote]
Lines showing up?
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby CeeJay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 am

Coraline wrote:Lines showing up?


Kinda of hard to expalin, but for a fraction of a second I see straight lines going across the walls.

EDIT: Speaking off 3DGE data resource, how come it isn't in ZIP/PK3 format? Wouldn't that make more sense.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm

CeeJay wrote:
Coraline wrote:Lines showing up?


Kinda of hard to expalin, but for a fraction of a second I see straight lines going across the walls.

EDIT: Speaking off 3DGE data resource, how come it isn't in ZIP/PK3 format? Wouldn't that make more sense.


Which build are you using? What do you have enabled in options? I have not encountered this straight line issue before. . .

About the edge2.pak file, well it is the closest uncompressed format aside from WAD that influenced our decision for the main data file. Also, namespaces are supported, and SLADE can open PAK files as well.
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby CeeJay » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:28 am

Coraline wrote:Which build are you using? What do you have enabled in options? I have not encountered this straight line issue before. . .


Test 3 something something. Neither have I, atleast not in previous versions.

Coraline wrote:About the edge2.pak file, well it is the closest uncompressed format aside from WAD that influenced our decision for the main data file. Also, namespaces are supported, and SLADE can open PAK files as well.


I see. No big deal, just that it would be more convient with PK3, since It would not require having to open up a seperate program. With PK3's you can just double click to open them in Windows.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 pm

No worries, the official 2.1.0-Final release will have the data in PK3 (I forgot that Windows supports native ZIP handling).

CeeJay, I tried and tried and could not find those straight lines on walls...the only way this would be something to catch if
it was something you could record for me to see. Otherwise, I'm afraid neither me or the other programmers encounter
this issue.

UDMF is going good guys, a few more key features to finish up (more will be added later).

Speaking of levels, I released a new version of 3DGE Builder today. I need someone to volunteer to work on the configs so
3DGE can support all of the UDMF features we currently do. I would do it myself but, I do not have the time =(

Anyways, find the download below:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/ ... lder/v0.3/
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby CeeJay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 am

Coraline wrote:CeeJay, I tried and tried and could not find those straight lines on walls...the only way this would be something to catch if
it was something you could record for me to see. Otherwise, I'm afraid neither me or the other programmers encounter
this issue.


No worries, probably just another case of me needing to update my hardware.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 pm

I have finally gotten around to posting the COAL HUD MANUAL that many modders should find
incredibly useful -- it breaks down all functions and describes their usage. It can be directly
compared to the COAL_HUD.ec DOOM HUD.

The new COAL manual is here!
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby CeeJay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

I tested the new reload code for the shotgun in Immoral Conduct 2 and it appears to be working just fine.

Expect to see a Special Edition of the mod, just like the original 8-)

EDIT: Another bug, the in-game sound effects get cut off entirerly after the game has been paused.

EDIT #2:

Spoiler:


The code is lenghty but it's because the "insert shell" animation is repeated as many times as the clip size, this is to allow it to end on a different animation in the case of the clip being completly empty when reloading.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby Coraline » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Can't wait to see that special edition =) I'll quickly fix that pause bug =)
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby RUNSABER » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 am

:)
3DGE VERSION: 2.0+
Screenshots captured in 3DGE 2.1.0.t3 in No Sleep For The Dead & Dimension Of The Boomed
Spoiler:

Compatibility: DOOM / Ultimate DOOM / DOOMII / Final DOOM IWADs
Current Version: 3.13.17.1


ZHUD BETA 1:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5fMgimSs1Z3RDVJdW54TUVyYXM/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: If this infringes or counts as spam, please moderate accordingly. Sorry folks! just want to make a small mod the commune mikght enjoy
User avatar
RUNSABER
Battlehammer God
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2015

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0-Test3 DevBuilds Now Available (1/2017)

Postby zZaRDoZz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Which polyobjects function in the latest 3dge build?
User avatar
zZaRDoZz
Lead 3dge community organizer, cat herder,hubcap repair specialist.
 
Joined: 14 Apr 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Software and Ports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest