[v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Software projects like source ports (EDGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Postby Lud » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:30 pm

MTPConvert (Model-to-Particle Converter) is a tool written in C# that reads .ply data and provides various outputs.

---DOWNLOADS---
MTPConvert v2.0.2 [Last update: 13/9/2018]
NOTE: Source code is in the zip under "src" folder.

Screenshots.

Spoiler: Requirements

Spoiler: Usage

Spoiler: License
Last edited by Lud on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean

Re: [v2.0] MTPConvert

Postby Lud » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:25 pm

Released v2.0. At this point the program is more than just "model-to-particles", but at the moment I am lacking imagination for a better name.

What's new:
- Complete refactor of how the tool works. Now utilizes a menu instead of being a command line tool. I highly doubt anyone would ever need to use it for batch operations anyway.
- Now supports drag-n-drop.
- Added "array" export option.
- Added in-app Help screen.
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean

Re: [v2.0.1] MTPConvert

Postby Lud » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Updated to v2.0.1. Many, many thanks to kodi for helping me out with fixing a major bug!

- Fixed a bug where some regional settings made the parser expect a comma instead of dot, which in turn threw an exception and broke the tool.
- Updated Libraries.dll to most recent version. These mostly contain irrelevant menu changes from when I developed the GLDEFS generator.
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean

Re: [v2.0.1] MTPConvert

Postby Lud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

So it turns out I only half-fixed the comma issue. Now the program no longer throws an exception, but the generated code may have commas, which doesn't really work on GZDoom's side. I'll fudge around with this issue some more when I get back home. The tool will work, but only for people who have their decimal sign set to a period instead of a comma in regional settings.
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean

Re: [v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Postby Lud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

v2.0.2 released.

- Fixed that locale issue with decimal signs.
- Density now works for Arrays.
- Removed help menu. Refer to readme.txt for more info.
- Updated Libraries.dll. That should bring the menus up to date. Irrelevant stuff. Logging the change for posterity's sake.

Also updated the Usage spoiler with the info from readme.txt.
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean

Re: [v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Postby kodi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 pm

The model -> vertex array feature in this is incredibly useful and I encourage people to use it. You can spawn rings, spheres, stars etc. of actors without having to do any complex or performance intensive math. You could also export a vertex group of a decorative 3d model, run it through MTPC, and use it to for example emit smoke or fire from certain parts of the mesh.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Return to Software and Ports