EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Post by TheLightBad96 »

I like to make a correction to my previous statement. My Antivirus Software AVAST picks up the exact same thing when downloading EDGE from the SVN site as well.

It claims it has this WIN32 Evo Gen stuff inside it. so it's not the sites i'm getting it from it's claiming that the download itself "the Edge download" has this WIN 32 Evo stuff. Is this a false positive or has something invaded your EDGE dev stuff and put a bunch of viruses all through it.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

TheLightBad96 wrote:I like to make a correction to my previous statement. My Antivirus Software AVAST picks up the exact same thing when downloading EDGE from the SVN site as well.

It claims it has this WIN32 Evo Gen stuff inside it. so it's not the sites i'm getting it from it's claiming that the download itself "the Edge download" has this WIN 32 Evo stuff. Is this a false positive or has something invaded your EDGE dev stuff and put a bunch of viruses all through it.
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e5118 ... /detection

Most likely false positive(on the 3DGE.exe itself), but the 7z file does for some reasons, "Suspicious"/"PossibleThreat" means the file just contains the signature but not really say it's virus, just possible.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

So It's basically safe to download. Good to know. thanks for the heads up PlayerLin
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

can i ask something just excuse my noobness

why is edge so slow? it feels like its slow and i have a very strong computer...
and sometimes i dont know how it goes sterioscopical 3d and its very annoying...
also most mods i have tried are broken and breaks the EDGE even if its the same version that the mod requests

ALSO finally can someone point me to a place i can get more 3EDGE mods?

I really love the feeling eedge gives me the rooomy feeling but i am sad it does nto run like gzdoom where its fast and smooth.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

shadstarn wrote:can i ask something just excuse my noobness

why is edge so slow? it feels like its slow and i have a very strong computer...
and sometimes i dont know how it goes sterioscopical 3d and its very annoying...
also most mods i have tried are broken and breaks the EDGE even if its the same version that the mod requests

ALSO finally can someone point me to a place i can get more 3EDGE mods?

I really love the feeling eedge gives me the rooomy feeling but i am sad it does nto run like gzdoom where its fast and smooth.
Concerning the speed, it's probably because 3DGE is locked at 60 FPS (like vanilla). And yes, compatibility with existing mods appears to be a little lacking at the moment. I'm really hoping that this gets attended to. Soon. Escpecially since there aren't that many mods for the engine, I can think of maybe around 20.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Getting back into releasing regular Devbuilds - now that Linux is working we can also start releasing binaries for Linux as well :-)

One of the features I got working is an autoloader script, its really basic right now, but its a preset that you can define command-line switches, and soon, console variables. So, you could have the preset (called edge.preset) reside in the root directory and EDGE will always reference it when it starts up. I'm going to upload that devbuild tonight, so keep an eye out for it :-)

@CeeJay: we are looking into the RSCRIPT issue tonight. For the record, it seems to work fine if it is inside of the /scripts folder in a PK3, PaK, or EPK. Which is good, because soon we are going to do away with the external folders and have them reside in edge.epk directly. So, probably an issue with loading them from a WAD file.

I'm still waiting for SLADE to release a new beta with EPK support. I tried building from source but what a fucking nightmare (wxWidgets is itself a nightmare) so I am unable to do such a thing. Gotta ask sirjuddington what to do..
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

@CeeJay: could you please provide an example WAD or PK3? Something small we can quickly test to see the issue at hand -- would be tremendous in helping to track the issue down.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Sure, I'll have something ready when I get a chance. The problem seems be when a script is activated via DDFWEAP or DDFTHING, they apear to repeat forever. Independent scripts apear to work fine though. If that is of any help.

EDIT: Wouldn't mind a tutorial of sorts of how PK3/PAK archives need to be structured. Where does everything go, where do I put the scripts, where do I place sound effects, etc?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

@CeeJay: thanks, we will be waiting for that

About PK3/EPK, here's an article on the EdgeWiki for just that:

http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php?t ... eplacement

Any questions feel free to ask ^_^
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Threw this together: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xhb9apd6w ... TS_BUG.WAD

I added fading id texts for all the weapons which is supposed to fade away, but doesn't.

Keep in mind that like I mentioned earlier, this is only part of a bigger issue.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Looks like that anti-virus issue is definitely a false positive. I used to have virus software but since i no longer have them, i dont get many conflictions. But dont be like me, use your protection software at all times ^_^

Im slighrly jealous that other users can run 3dges new features. If youre having problems with bloom, 3d and others try using the -norenderbuffers -newsegwalk -ffshake commands in your shortcut. I just use QEffects, and most if not all Boom wads are compatible with 3dge. Just make sure to remove any conflicting DEHACKED code. Ala UAC ULTRA.

I have yet to call scripts via Weapons (have yet a reason to so far), but if you have your folders organized it should work. From my experience with pk3, all you need is a similar structure to how things look in doom_ddf. Make sure your sprites are in a proper dolder, textures, etc and use that \ to point to them correctly. Ill do my best to record a video tutorial, we may need those now!

Compatibility: most mods were developed during 3dges development, namely 1.36F. For older mods, there is a commandline for -v135 however i seriously think this is deprecated. We as modders may have to update ALL of our mods to work with recent revisions of 3DGE. Some things such as colormaps or sprite offsets are broken when used with newer versions (2.0+). For sake of ease, please use anything from 2.1 onward, and if you want, list the mods you want to use and we can update them to the best of our abilities. I have to update DAMNED as well, a lot has changed since 1.36-2.0!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

The problem is when using WADs, no idea if the problem still exists when using archive formats. I need to read up on it first.

EDIT: Began trying to convert one of my mods to PK3 format, after several trials and errors I got it, at the least, partially working. It seems to ignore most of the graphics, but not all. I don't get it. I put everything, both .LMP and .PNG, in graphics/ folder. Problems with RTS apear to be gone though.

This is how it is supposed to look

And this is how it looks with PK3

It seems to not want to replace lumps with identical names as the originals, and will go back to using those instead. Which would make replacing things like menus difficult.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

If they are menu patches, they should reside in the /patches namespace. If they are PNGs, then they would go into /graphics.

What does the layout of your PK3 look like? Are you following the EdgeWiki guide? You can also poke into edge.epk and see how we handle the format (just rename EPK to PK3 as a stop gap).
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Coraline wrote:If they are menu patches, they should reside in the /patches namespace. If they are PNGs, then they would go into /graphics.

What does the layout of your PK3 look like? Are you following the EdgeWiki guide? You can also poke into edge.epk and see how we handle the format (just rename EPK to PK3 as a stop gap).
It don't seem to matter if it's a graphic lump or a PNG image, if it happens to share the name of a DOOM/DOOM2.WAD resource it's ignored. Same thing with sprites. And possible sound effects.

Yes, I followed the EdgeWiki guide, what little there was. There was still some trial and error involved.

EDIT:

I put the DDF files in SCRIPTS/
The sprites in SPRITES/
The graphics (HUD, menu, etc.) in GRAPHICS/
The sound effects in SOUNDS/
The music in MUSIC/
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

The /graphics namespace does not exist in WADs, though. Therefore, "graphics" (like M_*) replacing a patch (patch for a patch) needs to go in /patches. Sprites in /sprites, and regular textures in /textures.

Unless they are PNG, JPG, TGA, or user-defined sprites through DDF, then they go in /graphics.

Does that make sense? That would be the reason EDGE is not picking up on them. If they were PNG/etc graphics, it wouldn't be an issue. But true DOOM format stuff needs to go in the appropriate namespace (equivalent to the marker layout in WADS, so for patches in a WAD they need to be encapsulated between PP_START and PP_END). Because if they weren't in the right markerspace, regular WADs wouldn't know what to do with a patch not between the markers.

Return to “Game Engines”