War Rooster v1.3 (20/08/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Linz

Re: War Rooster

Post by Linz »

XLightningStormL wrote:
ArchVain12 wrote:M16 needs burst fire ....
The first two service models of the M16 only had semi-automatic and automatic. The Burst didn't replace auto until the M16A2 (the A3 model introduced around the same time kept the automatic firemode) in the early 80s (and by then the Vietnam War, of which this mod is based on aesthetically was over by 1975)

M1911 burst fire when dr.comsobyte xddddzx
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

This is a decent little weapons mod, I have some stuff to go over though:

1. The enemy AI is wonky, they are trying to run away from me as opposed to coming after me when alerted. This made them really easy to kill more than usual.

2. Some of the weapons could use some tweaks:

Pistol - Could use a better fire rate, it's too slow.

Shotgun - Reload could be slightly faster.

M16 - Too inaccurate, also needs a pinpoint shot mechanic like the vanilla doom pistol for when you don't have the M14.

M60 - Way WAY too inaccurate, spread needs to be tightened way up.

3. Hand grenades - Can they exist? Feels weird not having them considering the theme.
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

This mod is definitely good but my only complaint is that the barrel replacement is murder on my fps in high quantities, maybe there could be a way to havethem without the fancy fire effects or something?
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

Valherran wrote:This is a decent little weapons mod, I have some stuff to go over though:

1. The enemy AI is wonky, they are trying to run away from me as opposed to coming after me when alerted. This made them really easy to kill more than usual.

2. Some of the weapons could use some tweaks:

Pistol - Could use a better fire rate, it's too slow.

Shotgun - Reload could be slightly faster.

M16 - Too inaccurate, also needs a pinpoint shot mechanic like the vanilla doom pistol for when you don't have the M14.

M60 - Way WAY too inaccurate, spread needs to be tightened way up.

3. Hand grenades - Can they exist? Feels weird not having them considering the theme.
1. The SSG replacement has an ability that causes fear to the enemies whenever it is fired, that's intentional.

2. As for the accuracy issues on both the M16 and the M60, that I agree, definitely. Especially when the M14 (which is the chainsaw replacement) is not available.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

TheNightATK300 wrote:
Ah yeah, that pistol that I ripped is from ACM, but somehow the bottom rail was accidentally included (whoops...)

But yeah, anyway, congrats on the release of the mod! Make your skeleton army proud!
Small correction, that's the ACM pistol I ripped. That's why the rail was still included, because i planned to use it.

EDIT - Although, now that i'm looking at my folder, yours have the rail as well. Oh God. Anyway, this is the one you made.
Last edited by jdredalert on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

jdredalert wrote:
TheNightATK300 wrote:
Ah yeah, that pistol that I ripped is from ACM, but somehow the bottom rail was accidentally included (whoops...)

But yeah, anyway, congrats on the release of the mod! Make your skeleton army proud!
Small correction, that's the ACM pistol I ripped. That's why the rail was still included, because i planned to use it.
Ah whoops, I meant screenshotted, my B. Gahh I get confused sometimes.
I Know Vort-Fu

Post by I Know Vort-Fu »

Do you plan on adding "tactical" (half-mag etc.) reload animations? You know, for added visual flair.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

1. The SSG replacement has an ability that causes fear to the enemies whenever it is fired, that's intentional.
Does this have a set duration? Because it seems like when I fire it, the enemy remains perma-feared, and it seems to effect the entire map. I could be wrong on that, but it feels pretty broken to fire off a shot into a crowded room and easily dispatch the enemy cus they were too stupid to retaliate. lol
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

War's hell. And this mod certainly brings such thrilling and ruthless moments, plus related movie references! The weapons are fairly deadly, but not mostly accurate so that gives me some good ol' tactical thinking. Also i really like the fact that explosion sound effect gets muffled if you're further away from an explosion. That's an awesome touch!
Spoiler: Full metal feedback.
And that's about it! Also is it me? Or enemies in this mod act differently? Feels like they react to your gunfire and trying to hide from you. That's an interesting stuff right there!
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Very cool mod, overall! I do wish the melee attacks were a little faster. I feel like the delay between the lowering animation and the swinging animation is a little too slow. Also, I wish the impact noises for when you land a hit should be a little more beefier. The impact noises sounds a bit weak. Other than that, I enjoy it. Can't wait to see what else you do with this mod.

Also, I just wanted to add that I love that Rambo yell that happens when you hold down the trigger for the M60. Very nice touch! I had wanted to do that with my own mod at one point, haha.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I feel like the melee could be a little be faster as well, depending on if its role is more for ammo-less damage or just knockback.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

generally speaking, it's all quite lovely, but...
1.) accuracy is really wonky. I would like it if i had to ADS for better accuracy. would actually be a nice feature. if not, a general tuneup of lets say 50% more accuracy?
2.) ghost monsters can draw blood and otherwise are out of place/annoying. I know the player is basically high all the time, but i could care less for this "feature"
3.) the ultimate weapon isn't very ultimate. Could we get a flamethrower too for mobs? the BFG is both a boss cannon and a crowd disperser, so... would be nice.

otherwise, love it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Crudux Cruo wrote:2.) ghost monsters can draw blood and otherwise are out of place/annoying. I know the player is basically high all the time, but i could care less for this "feature"
I'm certain that you can turn this feature off. Awesome and accurate PTSD visual, but gameplay wise, it can get confusing. See mod stuff options!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

that was somethin that was noticed, the ghost monsters actually can trigger other enemies too
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: War Rooster v1.1 (Updated 16/07/2022)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for the good reception, everyone.

I won't be able to answer everybody, but i have updated War Rooster and addressed most issues posted. Have fun and keep on commenting.
Now the FAQ will come with the mod and not in the thread, for easier reading.

And YES, the enemies running away from you is intentional, because the Super Shotgun has a special power that scares monsters off.

Also, the character is not "high". The ghost monsters are PTSD hallucinations from his past and can be turned off, just like most things in the mod.

So have fun, and keep the feedback coming!
Spoiler: Changelog

Return to “Gameplay Mods”