To add a bit more depth to it, your basic shotgun fires off a single barrel instead of both like the vanilla super shotgun, with the altfire dealing out both barrels if available. Things start off about consistent with the vanilla super shotgun in terms of raw damage (10 pellets a shot), with later ammo types offering both more firepower and more options.
Google Drive link
Submission to Doomworld may follow later on.
As this is a replacement for playerclass, weapons, and some item spawns, this means it will not be compatible with mods like Brutal Doom that also affect playerclass and weapons. As it does not replace monsters however, it can readily be used with the Brutal Doom Monsters Only mod, Ketchup, or other mods that alter monsters.
Details on the weapon replacements:
Spoiler:Ammo and weapons have accordingly been replaced by the available types of ammunition, of which there are 6 types to be found:
Spoiler:As mentioned, there are two powerups you can find as well. After all, the standard weapons are all replaced with ammo spawns, so you'll notice that leaves the chainsaw and berserk pack to be accounted for.
These two powerups are:
The following options can be found in an additional menu, allowing you to turn on or off certain extra features:
- 1. Quick Melee Can Block Projectiles? The zoom command can be used while the shotgun(s) is equipped for a quick melee attack. With this setting enabled, the resulting pistol-whip will also be able to strike projectiles out of the air. This requires a bit of good timing, and doesn't work on hitscan attacks, but can offer some added utility if turned on. Needless to say, using it against rockets is a Bad Idea.
2. Allow Quad-Fire With Guns Akimbo? By default, using the altfire with dual shotguns will still only fire two barrels at a time, assuming at least two barrels are loaded. With this setting enabled, using the altfire with all four chambers loaded will unleash all four at once. This comes at further penalty to spread and recoil.
3. Carry Fast-Fire and Akimbo Powerups? By default these powerups will be activated the instant you pick them up, as is standard for items in Doom. If this is enabled, these two powerups will go to your inventory for later use, like with items in Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. This is especially useful for the powerup replacing the chainsaw (see below). If a map is kind enough to provide multiple berserk packs or chainsaws, you'll find this setting allows you to carry up to a single unused one of each powerup with you to the next level, Heretic-style.
4. Share Fast-Fire and Akimbo Powerups in Co-op? A bonus for co-op players. If enabled, picking up these powerups will also grant it to all other players in the area as well, whether it's set to instant-use or carried for later activation.
5. Randomize Fast-Fire and Akimbo Powerups Spawns? If enabled, this sets it so that chainsaw and berserk pack replacements will randomly select between guns akimbo and fast-fire, instead of always spawning a specific replacement for each item. This is useful for scenarios such as episode one of Doom or with Chex Quest, where you can encounter one item but not the other.
Spoiler:Issues and problems I am aware of, and other planned things to tinker with in the future:
- 1. I was tempted to work on some custom muzzle flash effects for explosive, incendiary, and plasma shells instead of using shotgun and super shotgun muzzle flashes for all ammo types. Problem is that I have a grand total of 20 different flash sprites due to how complex the weapons themselves are, so that'd be 60 more sprites I'd need to edit together in GIMP, set offsets in SLADE, and test to make sure everything is aligned just right.
2. I'm tempted to look into some scripting stuff to streamline the fire and reload states a tiny bit, especially for the dual shotguns. Will have to see sometime.
3. The idea of adding a grappling hook utility in the vein of Doom Eternal has also come up, I've yet to look into the sanest way to implement that. Figuring out a good keybinding would also be good, as now the zoom state is already in use for quick-melee.
4. Any other suggestions for stuff I could improve, and potential additional options that could be added to the mod options menu, would be worth looking into as well.
- 1. Getting the ZScript status bar working: Phantombeta and Blue Shadow, on the ZDoom forums.
2. Gloved fist sprites: Edited from Angled Doom's fist sprites by JDRedAlert, on the ZDoom forums.
3. Angled dual shotgun sprites: Edited from Angled Doom's super shotgun by JDRedAlert, on the ZDoom forums. Angled super shotgun sprite originally by JoeyTD, with editing by Denis Belmondo.