Jumping Flash Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NakaTeleeli

Jumping Flash Doom

Post by NakaTeleeli »

Welcome to Jumping Flash Doom!

Jumping Flash (and Jumping Flash 2) are lesser-known first-person platformer/shooters for the Playstation 1 and actually great fun. This mod is meant to mimic those games (specifically 2) in a Doom-like way. So take control of the robotic battle-bunny known as Robbit and save the day! This mod is GZDoom specific, as it uses 3D models.

This is primarily a weapon and control mod, changing your hud, giving you some new weapons and even a triple-jump! I've attempted to make the mod as unintrusive as possible so it will work well with other mods and maps. Specifically what this changes is the hud, weapon loadaout, character class (to enable jumping and stomping), some aesthetic changes, and includes an end-of-level interrupt. I did not include the AI companion because that would have been an entire can of worms I didn't want to open...

Please enable free-look and jumping or you are missing out on much of the feel this mod offers! And jumping around to see what you can break is half the fun!

Primary changes include:
Jumping!
A triple-jump with modulated jumps and a jump-meter on the HUD. You also do stomp damage to enemies, more damage from farther falls. (Cyberdemons and Masterminds are immune to stomp damage) Due to most enemies having a melee and moving quickly this is actually difficult to use. Try stun-locking them while stomping!

Basic laser!
The basic laser is a rapid-fire projectile with infinite ammo. It's got about the same dps as the chaingun and increases damage with berserk. The intention is that you'll be using this as your main weapon. Ammo quantities and capacities for other weapons are intentionally small. Works well on smaller enemies and medium enemies in low numbers.

Power Orbs!
Play in the ball-pit! Spew explosive power orbs everywhere. Similar use to grenades, works well on enemies enclosed below you and when circle-strafing. Not terribly useful for normal combat.

Rockets!
Rapid-fire homing rockets (they do not do area damage) pack quite a punch and are useful against medium enemies, large numbers of small enemies, and large enemies in small numbers. Have an alt-fire that does not home and does not do impact damage but does do area damage on impact.

Roman Candle!
Just deletes things. A piercing laser that chews through ammo but absolutely destroys what you shoot at. Useful for large enemies and crowds.

Cherry Bomb!
A big explosion. Kind of a BFG replacement. Only the healthiest of enemies will survive. Suitable for large numbers of most things. Not actually suitable for single enemies with large health pools.

Google Drive link:
Spoiler:
Changes in 1.2:
-Included menu cursor
-HUD Robbit bounces when collecting an item
-Roman Candle has a "free" shot if you don't hold down fire for long
-You can see Robbit's feet
-Rockets have an alt-fire that does not home but explodes on contact, included to make the Icon of Sin more reasonable.

Hello! I'm Naka Teleeli and this is my first post here and my first mod. I've spent the last few months working on this and have spent a great deal of time searching this forum and the wiki for help, more or less teaching myself to mod in the process. Thank you for the helpful resources you've laid out!
Last edited by NakaTeleeli on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svarttjern
Discord: Svarttjern#8426
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Jumping Flash Doom

Post by Svarttjern »

Welcome to the Forums,

just played a few levels with this and I got to say it'll be really fun with the right maps. Sounds are spot on and I love that you even included the Robbit model.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Looks cool, gonna download and put in my backlog for later play. The art style somehow reminds me of Bomberman games - I like it.
r&r

Post by r&r »

theres a few retro shaders to get that some what psx look that be a good addon for this
Starman the Blaziken
Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

r&r wrote:theres a few retro shaders to get that some what psx look that be a good addon for this
Hm! Sounds like a fitting thing to see as an addon for this, it would fit quite well I will say.

Otherwise, I just checked this out and I would like to say this mod itself is quite a very neat thing to play with, 3D models and all neat little details! Although a suggestion I would like to see the feet when you look down upon to stomp on some enemies and even to see yourself jump around too.
But I suppose it would be a bit harder to have like a hopping animation in the HUD when Rabot picks up a new weapon-projectile-card-thingy and powerups, at least since I can tell it is based off of the mug system after all, at least is worth to ask if you did try doing it at least. I just find the little hopping animations to look cute in the originals heh. :)
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

This is awesome, but what are the maps you are using ?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

oh HELL yeah Jumping Flash! Great to see it getting some love and being translated so well
NakaTeleeli

Post by NakaTeleeli »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:Otherwise, I just checked this out and I would like to say this mod itself is quite a very neat thing to play with, 3D models and all neat little details! Although a suggestion I would like to see the feet when you look down upon to stomp on some enemies and even to see yourself jump around too.
But I suppose it would be a bit harder to have like a hopping animation in the HUD when Rabot picks up a new weapon-projectile-card-thingy and powerups, at least since I can tell it is based off of the mug system after all, at least is worth to ask if you did try doing it at least. I just find the little hopping animations to look cute in the originals heh. :)
I hadn't even realized he did the little hop when you picked up an item! I'll see what I can do about that...

I really wanted to be able to see the feet when you look down but I couldn't find a good way to handle that. The only thing I could think of was spawning an actor under you and changing its animations accordingly. That would look really weird in co-op, and though I haven't tested this in co-op, I was at least trying to keep it in mind.
irukanjji wrote:This is awesome, but what are the maps you are using ?
In the trailer I had just played through TNT, but I played through several wads to test, including Mixed Doom, Intergalactic Xenology 2, Lullaby, and parts of Arceon and Cydonia.
Last edited by NakaTeleeli on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Post by Captain J »

Impressive and cute gameplay mod!! I did heard of the game and it's apparently First Person Shooter, just like doom! I guess them being in the same genre really did the trick. Hopping and stomping on enemies are very fun, too. Plus the Level Clear sequence is something i haven't seen from hefty doom mods. I love the every single aspect of it! Not bad for a first doom mod. It's promising.
Spoiler: Let's jump right off to feedback!
So yeah! It's really amazing to see another video game adaptation of doom mod. Looking forward to see more works from you!
Starman the Blaziken
Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Captain J wrote:Impressive and cute gameplay mod!! I did heard of the game and it's apparently First Person Shooter, just like doom! I guess them being in the same genre really did the trick. Hopping and stomping on enemies are very fun, too. Plus the Level Clear sequence is something i haven't seen from hefty doom mods. I love the every single aspect of it! Not bad for a first doom mod. It's promising.
So yeah! It's really amazing to see another video game adaptation of doom mod. Looking forward to see more works from you!
Honestly, I would have to agree on some points there, but the power orbs I am used to timing it even if it means I have to lay out a field to get some to inflict the splash damage the target.
But hey, I think a harder normal Icon fight is at least better than an easy one with GZDoom capabilities. Then again, some leeway is a bit better when it comes to some of it yeah.
Captain J

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Post by Captain J »

Power Orbs become hella potent indoors and can be useful to sweep up lesser enemies, i'll give 'em that.

And about The Icon of Sin, i mean it's not just fairly challenging now, you also can softlock yourself in this. Rockets 90% home toward the wrong target instead of its brain. You also have to make each shot count since Cherry Bomb is out of the question because it travels just a bit. You can put some rockets before it spawns enemies but then i hope map packs are kind enough to put you right into the brain.
Last edited by Captain J on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

n the trailer I had just played through TNT, but I played through several wads to test, including Mixed Doom, Intergalactic Xenology 2, Lullaby, and parts of Arceon and Cydonia.
Thanks m8, i´m interested only in the first map, appears on the video, is it lullaby?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:
Captain J wrote:Impressive and cute gameplay mod!! I did heard of the game and it's apparently First Person Shooter, just like doom! I guess them being in the same genre really did the trick. Hopping and stomping on enemies are very fun, too. Plus the Level Clear sequence is something i haven't seen from hefty doom mods. I love the every single aspect of it! Not bad for a first doom mod. It's promising.
Honestly, I would have to agree on some points there, but the power orbs I am used to timing it even if it means I have to lay out a field to get some to inflict the splash damage the target.
But hey, I think a harder normal Icon fight is at least better than an easy one with GZDoom capabilities. Then again, some leeway is a bit better when it comes to some of it yeah.
I'd suggest making things like that have an option to keep them true to how they acted in JF, with an option have them work in a way more suited to doom. Set the default to how you intend, then let people switch the behavior as needed/desired. Its usually the goto way to handle mechanics that end up with quirks when transferring over. So with the Cherry Bomb for example just make its timed like in JF by default, but you can select an option to make it impact based. Same with keeping rockets homing by default, but having an option to disable it and have them always fly straight (maybe even an option to have them only home in on enemies that are in LoS for a hybrid approach)
NakaTeleeli

Post by NakaTeleeli »

Working on updating it now. Changed the menu cursor and got the HUD Robbit to bounce when picking up an item (Which turned out to be far more complicated than I expected).

As for balance, the homing rockets don't actually do splash damage (I figured that would be a bit too strong), so for something like the Icon they're actually just as good as your default lasers. Against Icon I had luck jumping right in its face and shooting a cherry bomb point-blank into its brain, but this isn't really ideal. I also gave the roman candle a "free" shot (as long as you have ammo to let you fire in the first place) by firing and letting off before they're done raising. This should help with some long-range shots since you don't have another hitscan. It's not strong, but it is free.

I'll go ahead and push this update as-is while I try to think of the best way to handle balance and being able to see Robbit's feet.
irukanjji wrote:Thanks m8, i´m interested only in the first map, appears on the video, is it lullaby?
I believe the first clip, the one with the Hell Knights, is map21 of TNT, Administration Center.
NakaTeleeli

Post by NakaTeleeli »

Updated to 1.2!
Probably the final version (and I made a new trailer because I didn't like the old one.)

Changes made (including 1.1 changes)
-Included Robbit main menu cursor
-HUD Robbit bounces when collecting an item (only items that count towards completion percent, but includes backpacks and not health and armor bonuses)
-Roman Candle has a "free" shot if you don't hold down fire for long, letting you hit switches and such at range and through bars that would prevent projectiles from passing.
-You can see Robbit's feet!
-Rockets have an alt-fire that does not home but explodes on contact, included to make the Icon of Sin more reasonable. Explosion damage is small, but has the same range as a normal rocket.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”