ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3C

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3C

Postby Mace » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:55 am

Spoiler: A little bit outdated trailer

MODDB
Hello there! This is my first project that i did in 15 days, alone - a over 13 megabytes universal OP weapon mod for Zandronum, GZDoom and other ZDoom forks.
It is a tribute to old mods from Skulltag era, Build engine games, 80s and 90s contemporary action movies and more.
The mod release history was strange - i did a release by just hosting a server on Zandronum, then i promoted my mod on some discords, then i released my mod on moddb, then i post here.
I hope you enjoy my small mod full of jank, bad voice acting and loud guns and explosions.

Download (V1.3C)
OpenGL recommended.
Check the PK3 for Credits and Changelog.

STUFF IN THIS MOD

Spoiler: LORE - IT HAS NO SENSE AT ALL

Spoiler: CLASSES

Spoiler: WEAPONS

Spoiler: POWERUPS

Spoiler: And also, theme song by Jimmy himself
Last edited by Mace on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mace

Discord: L.NARG#5468
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ATOM RAIN - THIS TIME IT'S NEONUCLEAR - V1.2B

Postby Carrotear » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:05 am

The weapons are fun to use, but some of the weapons feel too strong and gib weaker enemies.
Carrotear
My arm hurts

Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby GoalDude-00 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:35 am

Nice to you post here! I've played Atom Rain last Friday after seing AbsoluteN7's video showcasing its weapons, I just knew I had to play it. It's a blast and a half, especially on UV with fast monsters enabled and, preferably, on a megawad with a lot of stuff to shoot. I don't even care about the balancing issues (like the P9000 melting masterminds in under 5 seconds) it presents because sometimes I like to feel like I'm damn good at the game, haha.

One small suggestion, however: I think it might be an interesting idea to separate the classes' loadouts further for the single player mode, as you're bound to end up with a LOT of weapons per slot. By that I mean giving the individual classes more "exclusive" weapons than just their starting pistols.

The only real issue I have right now is that the chainsaw is very, very loud and perhaps a bit too strong given how fast it attacks. Same goes for the katana, maybe try to make them a bit more different in terms of usage? They feel a little samey as both are very fast weapons, just making the katana slower with more damage per attack would work well.

That said, GREAT stuff all around. I absolutely adore the NAR-92, its sprites are just B E A U T I F U L.

Also, to anyone who wants more dangerous monsters to make it feel slightly more difficult, I've found Doom RL Arsenal's armageddon monsters to work like a charm!
GoalDude-00

Postby openroadracer » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 am

Just want to say that while most of the weapons are fun to use, the RG-6 grenade launcher is rather unwieldy.

Basically, it shoots above where you're aiming, making it harder to judge exactly how you should aim to put shells on target. I'd suggest just simply removing that outright and make it fire the shell directly towards the player's point of aim. Keep the shell arc, though, to differentiate it from the LAW launcher.
openroadracer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: ATOM RAIN - THIS TIME IT'S NEONUCLEAR - V1.2C

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:22 pm

Goaldude-00 suggested this mod at our server and i had a blast. I was also very surprised to see i was in the credits! So i feel i should thank you for being of at least some help, and i am very curious to see where this fun and creative mod can go!

Best regards!
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby That0neBr075 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 pm

Pretty good mod! Everything feels punchy and satisfying to use! ESPECIALLY the P9000, absolute Q U A L I T Y!
That0neBr075

Postby openroadracer » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 am

So, some further feedback after having played more with this mod: I really don't like visual recoil in my DooM mods. You know, where shooting your gun kicks your aim all over the place. Option to disable that "feature", please?

Also, about the dual Uzi pickup line: I actually kinda dislike akimbo guns in general, if I'm honest. I know, I'm boring. But still, I'm not the only one that prefers the larger, full-sized Uzi as a single gun over its smaller variants, especially when said smaller Uzis are doubled up. Am I? Then again, single full-size Uzi falls into the niche currently held by the MP5K. And now that I've mentioned that one: Would it be wrong of me to want the full length version of that, too? Especially with the fixed solid stock? Could give an automatic with a slightly niche use as a long-range gun, if such a role isn't already covered by the AK.

And since I'm on about assault rifles now, well, if you're going to have the AK fitted with a reflex sight and have a secondary fire that features a noticeable zoom and increase in accuracy, why not go all the way and have me aim through the sight? It'd really help sell the idea of taking precise shots.

And what purpose does that little scope thing serve on the P9000? Just there for show?

And I still say that you should nix that upward firing angle on the RG-6 and the M203. Makes them harder to aim than they need to be.

I know I'm sounding harsh with all this criticism, but I really do enjoy this mod. The weapons are tons of fun to use, it's just that there are lots of little nitpicks I can find here and there.
openroadracer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3

Postby Mace » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:43 pm

ATOM RAIN 1.3 is released, with new weapon sprites and some reworked stuff!
Mace

Discord: L.NARG#5468

Re: ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3B

Postby Spaceman333 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Tried this today and I love it audiovisually - weapon sounds, sprites - its excellent.

Gameplay wise, each weapon is so good on their own that it mostly becomes a question of preference what flavor of bangbang I want to plow through the level with, I don't really sense there being a need to switch weapons that much to suit situation when almost any of them will do just fine.

I like the premise of NeoAtom explosives, but while the explosion of shotguns, grenades and rockets is satisfying in their blast radius and damage, I think it lacks a better visual representation of this NeoAtom blast - the graphics of the blast itself seems not bombastic enough to live up to its name.

Also felt like some weapons are just better than others, so when I get them I no longer want to use the other one because its just plainly superior to use. Dual Uzis were inaccurate and not that powerful, where as the glock or mp5k are more effective in combat. Same for most other weapon categories.

Still, I'm enjoying the mod plenty - especially with harder enemy replacers combined with tougher maps with lots of monsters. I think that is where this mod shines the most.
Spaceman333

Postby popguy12 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:30 am

Spaceman333 wrote:I like the premise of NeoAtom explosives, but while the explosion of shotguns, grenades and rockets is satisfying in their blast radius and damage, I think it lacks a better visual representation of this NeoAtom blast - the graphics of the blast itself seems not bombastic enough to live up to its name.

funnily enough, i helped Mace a bit with the explosion effects, we went through quite a bit of testing with how many particles we could spawn and still have something that looks pretty nice without causing weird net issues or possibly straight up crashes in multiplayer.

originally it was spawning, on top of the actual explosion sprite, like 500 other actors, which as you can imagine, would take some processing power for a second to go through the little loop that was originally there enough times to do so
popguy12

Postby Spaceman333 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:52 am

popguy12 wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:I like the premise of NeoAtom explosives, but while the explosion of shotguns, grenades and rockets is satisfying in their blast radius and damage, I think it lacks a better visual representation of this NeoAtom blast - the graphics of the blast itself seems not bombastic enough to live up to its name.

funnily enough, i helped Mace a bit with the explosion effects, we went through quite a bit of testing with how many particles we could spawn and still have something that looks pretty nice without causing weird net issues or possibly straight up crashes in multiplayer.

originally it was spawning, on top of the actual explosion sprite, like 500 other actors, which as you can imagine, would take some processing power for a second to go through the little loop that was originally there enough times to do so

That seems like a needlessly expensive way to go about that.

I would have just had less than ~20 medium/large sprites that cover the full area of the blast radius. I think it would look just as good and satisfying.
Spaceman333

Postby popguy12 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Spaceman333 wrote:
popguy12 wrote:

That seems like a needlessly expensive way to go about that.

I would have just had less than ~20 medium/large sprites that cover the full area of the blast radius. I think it would look just as good and satisfying.

yea thats pretty much what it was changed to, i think its around like 30-50 actors tho that i went with, i wouldnt doubt Mace has changed it a bit since then
cause originally it would spawn 360 for the smoke, then theres that little ring around the middle of the explosion that would get spawned too with a couple hundred actors
im pretty sure i made it 64 bottom and like 12 top or somethin
popguy12

Postby Cardboard Marty » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:27 pm

This is a ton of fun and definitely overpowered, but I'm enjoying the action movie feel to it! Great job with all the artwork!
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV

Re: ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3C

Postby Captain J » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:05 am

A Solid, Super powerful mod there. Love to see each character having their own intro and different starting weapon. The Weapons are very powerful and the sound effects are satisfying to hear! There's more likable feature, and that is weapons consuming different amount of ammo. It depends on how strong the weapon is and it gives me a fair reason to be tactical. So that's a good design choice right there. Also made some feedback on the way
Spoiler: "Feedback's here!"
Fine mod with fantastic set of weapons. Feeling overpowered is something you really need when you're playing unfair level of slaughter maps. Keep up the good work!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: ATOM RAIN - OPERATION RESPRITE - V1.3C

Postby Linz » Sat May 14, 2022 7:45 am

If you kick at the same time you exit a level, you'll become unable to move in the next one

Happens with both the Quick Kick and the Unarmed kick

Speaking of, could you make it so that your fists and katana don't alert enemies?
Linz

Return to Gameplay Mods