[Colourful Hell] Test Map!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Colourful Hell] Test Map!

Postby bowserknight » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:04 pm

You might have heard of Hege Cactus' project "Colourful Hell", which is a gameplay mod that shuffles up all enemies into variations of themselves with different colors. It's probably best you check out the main thread itself: viewtopic.php?t=47980

In short, every enemy in a map has a chance to become stronger, depending on which color it receives. The order goes like this:

Common -> green -> blue -> purple -> yellow / orange -> red -> black -> white

The black and white ones are categorised as bosses, except for Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons. For them, even the yellow and red ones already count as semi-bosses.
There's also optional colors like cyan or grey for example, or tougher versions of bosses called EX bosses, as well as stronger versions of some red monsters. All of these can be turned off or on in the options, through the now added "Colourful Hell Options" at the bottom.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But enough about the basics!

I'd always figured that there might be people who want to just look at all the different monsters this mod has to offer, because chances are you won't see every single one of them. Or maybe there are some people who wonder how strong some of these creatures are compared to others (myself included!), or they wanna see what it's like fighting them yourself. For all these purposes I've created a map that combines all of these features! Now, this is actually the 2nd version, made with Ultimate Doombuilder in the UDMF format since it allows me to have way more tags and scripts than normal. I was unable to finish the first version due to limitations like that, mental problems and generally not being 100% satisfied with it. This version is more polished and organised.
That said, there's still tiny things I might change or add in the future, since the mod itself isn't finished yet. The mod is still missing 2 white monsters and probably other stuff that Hege Cactus is working on. So, the current version of this map is made for version 0.98c of Colourful Hell. I'll make sure to include the required version of the mod if future updates come.

You have to play this with GZDoom and also load the mod with it when starting up the wad file.

The music used comes from the game "Pekka Kana 2", one of my favourite oldschool 2D platformers ever.

Here's the download link:

https://mega.nz/folder/P1NAFbZJ#c3zgBQ0sIzcirtKnCj4cAw

I also have a Youtube channel with lots of DOOM2 videos and other games I like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmxUGi ... xMFN1lHcmA
I actually played through the entirety of Plutonia on Ultra Violence with this mod on!

The map is divided into 4 parts:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The "ZOO":

This is where you can look at all the colored monsters, all with screens that show each monster's stats when interacted with (these texts are made for windows with bigger resolutions, if you run into any problems).

All monsters are normally dormant but they can still hear you if you make a sound. But don't be scared, the majority of these won't be able to do anything to you! I say "majority" because there are some guys here that are completely invisible unless they attack you... just be careful around those!

The "Optionals" Wing:

As I said above, there are a bunch of optional enemies in this mod which are all showcased in this section. This includes the colors fireblu, grey, cyan, brown and abyss which all have their own characteristics.
There's also one room dedicated to the EX bosses and the stronger red enemies, more of these might come in the future.

The "TEST LAB":

This area is probably the most fun one. Here's where you can summon specific monsters and let them fight each other, or maybe take them on yourself. There's a selection of monsters on the left, and colors on the right. By pressing the big wooden switches, you cycle through the available selections and can then choose to either spawn the monster with the chosen parameters on the left or right side.

When you're done, the monster(s) will be summoned into this grand arena-like room. All that's left to do is lower the wall in the center by operating the 2 sides of the big skull switch, then you can watch them duke it out. Alternatively, you can also grab some goodies in the closet to the right and go down there yourself. You're immortal in this entire area so you have nothing to worry about!

The "GAUNTLET":

If you want to challenge yourself, this map also offers a chance to battle through all of the individual color variations of each monster in a row. This section is divided into 5 chapters of sorts; first there's the weak monsters (Zombies and Imps); followed by melee monsters (Pinkies, Spectres, Lost Souls, Revenants); then the medium demons (Cacos, Pain E., Hellknights, Barons); continued with the advanced ones (Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Archviles) and finally the bosses (Spider Masterminds, Cyberdemons).

Completing each of these chapters awards you with one of 6 keys, which are the only way to actually beat this map, if you have any interest in doing that. It's very rough though, I might try it myself and post a video of it afterwards. I've tested each monster path thoroughly and they should all be fairly beatable, but there might still be some nerfs coming to a few of these encounters, we'll see. Haven't done a full run of all of them though. I was thinking about adding some sort of secret room that unlocks in the end, but not sure.
bowserknight

Re: [Colourful Hell] Test Map!

Postby Dewzanity » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 pm

Eyy! Great to see this finished and released! Been looking forward to it! I'll have to give the gauntlets a go myself later tonight.

Spoiler:

Edit : So I tried out the gauntlet, but from my end, it ended up not being very playable on version 3.5.0. Some of the things that didn't work there ended up working on 4.5.0. I usually use 3.5.0 when dealing with multiple wad files at a time, and 4.5.0 for a single file, and since two files are required for this, I found at 3.5.0 doesn't work quite right. (I could set 4.5.0 to my default, but I'm too lazy, and the situation is a mess, ok)

So on 3.5.0, the zombiemen gauntlet is the only one that fully works. The other gauntlets have non-working doors, and the enemy spawning scripts don't work. Both things work on 4.5.0, which is strange, since it's not even outside of the abilities of GZ 3.5.0.

Some other lesser issues, but the amount of armor and health bonuses combined, which is apparantly 13,727, makes my game run at 5 fps or so. It can be solved by removing them though. H&A bonuses are especially laggy items because they change animations every 6 frames if I recall correctly.

I also have to disable white enemies for this, otherwise the zombies in the gauntlet end up spawning Mr. Bones on death.

So I looked at the map in GZDoom builder, and I don't see anything that would really cause it to malfunction on version 3.5.0, or even any major differences between the zombieman gauntlet and the other gauntlets. I guess one thing I could suggest is to use "12 - Door Raise" instead of "202 - Door Generic", and "SpawnSpotFacingForced" instead of "SpawnSpot". I use these functions in my maps/mods, and they work perfectly fine in version 3.5.0.
Dewzanity
Beyond the storm lies an eternal redemption

Discord: Dewzan#9404
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby bowserknight » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:34 pm

Dewzanity wrote:Eyy! Great to see this finished and released! Been looking forward to it! I'll have to give the gauntlets a go myself later tonight.

Spoiler:

Edit : So I tried out the gauntlet, but from my end, it ended up not being very playable on version 3.5.0. Some of the things that didn't work there ended up working on 4.5.0. I usually use 3.5.0 when dealing with multiple wad files at a time, and 4.5.0 for a single file, and since two files are required for this, I found at 3.5.0 doesn't work quite right. (I could set 4.5.0 to my default, but I'm too lazy, and the situation is a mess, ok)

So on 3.5.0, the zombiemen gauntlet is the only one that fully works. The other gauntlets have non-working doors, and the enemy spawning scripts don't work. Both things work on 4.5.0, which is strange, since it's not even outside of the abilities of GZ 3.5.0.

Some other lesser issues, but the amount of armor and health bonuses combined, which is apparantly 13,727, makes my game run at 5 fps or so. It can be solved by removing them though. H&A bonuses are especially laggy items because they change animations every 6 frames if I recall correctly.

I also have to disable white enemies for this, otherwise the zombies in the gauntlet end up spawning Mr. Bones on death.

So I looked at the map in GZDoom builder, and I don't see anything that would really cause it to malfunction on version 3.5.0, or even any major differences between the zombieman gauntlet and the other gauntlets. I guess one thing I could suggest is to use "12 - Door Raise" instead of "202 - Door Generic", and "SpawnSpotFacingForced" instead of "SpawnSpot". I use these functions in my maps/mods, and they work perfectly fine in version 3.5.0.

hey thanks for the feedback! Have you worked more on the rainbow mod?

I'll have to take a look at some of those things but everything is working perfectly for me... regarding the thing about the health bonuses, could it be that you just don't have such a strong computer? Because I also saw in your rainbow video where you showed off the zombie, that it was pretty laggy. Are you sure it's about the health & armor bonuses? Can't really remove those or the gauntlet would be impossible.

About the Mr. Bones, those are completely intentional. I thought, since the "final boss" of the Zombie path is the Undertaker and the Zombies themselves are pretty lame, it would be a nice twist to have to fight the Mr. Bones as well. The Zombies are the only enemies in the gauntlet that are there as soon as the map starts. All other enemies are only loaded when you enter the specific path, because I only wanted the Mr. Bones in that one.
bowserknight

Postby Dewzanity » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:01 pm

hey thanks for the feedback! Have you worked more on the rainbow mod?

I've been focusing on another mod of mine recently, one that I find much less tedious to work on, because I'll be honest, I'm sick of making custom enemies. I'd feel guilty to promote myself here, but it's somewhere on the forums.

I'll have to take a look at some of those things but everything is working perfectly for me... regarding the thing about the health bonuses, could it be that you just don't have such a strong computer? Because I also saw in your rainbow video where you showed off the zombie, that it was pretty laggy. Are you sure it's about the health & armor bonuses? Can't really remove those or the gauntlet would be impossible.

My PC is pretty alright. I can handle slaughtermaps with around maybe 1k-2k monsters awake at a time before it starts getting unplayable, but since 13k actors are changing animations every 6 frames, that causes lag which is about equivalent to maybe at least 3k monsters running around all at once. Perhaps you could possibly make modified health and armor bonuses that are worth 10-20 hit points to reduce the amount of actors necessary, or if not, then maybe just tweak the items to be stimpacks or medikits and green and blue armor pickups.

I think on the rainbow zombie video, sometimes there's just lag spikes when I load GZDoom for the first time on my PC when some monster wakes up or when I fire a weapon, but the lag spikes don't usually happen more than a few times.

About the Mr. Bones, those are completely intentional. I thought, since the "final boss" of the Zombie path is the Undertaker and the Zombies themselves are pretty lame, it would be a nice twist to have to fight the Mr. Bones as well. The Zombies are the only enemies in the gauntlet that are there as soon as the map starts. All other enemies are only loaded when you enter the specific path, because I only wanted the Mr. Bones in that one.

Ahhh, I get it now. I actually can't remember whether it's only zombieman that turn into Mr. Bones, or every enemy. I was also thinking the other gauntlets would have had enemies spawned by Script 1 just like the zombieman gauntlet, and that every single gauntlet would be infected by Mr. Bones.
Dewzanity

Postby Dewzanity » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:15 pm

oh no double post

So I played through every single gauntlet in a playthrough, and I think there's a few minor things I'd like to mention. First, I did the whole thing without any health or armor bonus's, so they can certainly be taken out and still have each arena be a decently fair fight. I used save states to do this, because I thought I would die a lot. Turns out I only died to...

Yellow Baron (5 deaths). I'd say on the blue, purple, yellow, and red fights, maybe make there be 2 barons instead of 3, especially since Hege made barons kinda OP for some reason. I'm lookin at you Mr. Blue Baron! *shudder* :shock: :shock:

Red Baron (Probably around 40-60 deaths). I had red boss monsters on or something, but all three barons spawned as the boss red baron, which is strange, since the red archviles didn't spawn as bosses later on. I took a look at the code, turns out it just spawns plain old "RedBaron" instead of "RedBaron1", which means it really matters whether you have red bosses or not. I knew it was an error to have 3 red boss barons, but I just took on the challenge anyway. By far the most difficult fight if you have red bosses on.

Green Arachnotron (1 death)
Purple Arachnotron (1 death) I do think the arachnotron arena needs more cover, especially from the nightmarish hitscanning purple spider. Green arachnotron is just super strong for whatever reason, or at least, gives you no time to react to 80 damage projectiles or something.

Black Mancubus (1 death) Got owned by floor trails before I could get the megasphere. :(

Surprised to say I only died a single time to a black or white enemy. I also noticed that Black revenant, White revenant, Black archvile, and White archvile all suffer the same issue as Red baron, where there's no "2" after their actor name to ignore checking if b/w monsters are on or off.

Aside from that, really fun challenge, really well balanced! Nothing was really too easy or too difficult aside from either the ones I mentioned above, or just because the enemy itself is just too over or underpowered for what it should be in the mod. My finish time was at exactly 2 hours and 50 minutes, but you could probably add an extra half hour due to red baron deaths. I may also record myself doing a boss tournament again. :P

Edit : Another tiny flaw I forgot to mention that I just remembered. Apparently all of the white enemies in the gauntlets can exit out of the teleporter to the main hub area. This is most notable when fighting White Pain elemental, who's signature move is to run away from you, aaaaand into the teleporter! I guess that means my fight with him wasn't very legit. He's nearly impossible to fight anyway, unless you have heaps of cells around, which would very much come in handy I think to improve the fight.
Last edited by Dewzanity on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewzanity

Postby Hylik » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:29 pm

This is a very cool map, I like it.
Hylik

Discord: Hylik#8803

Postby Keldian » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:21 am

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but the exits of the rooms with black and white monsters (or rather, the walls with skull textures in front of the exits) do not open for some reason.
Keldian

Postby bowserknight » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:11 pm

Keldian wrote:I don't know if it's a bug or not, but the exits of the rooms with black and white monsters (or rather, the walls with skull textures in front of the exits) do not open for some reason.

Those are controlled by scripts that activate as soon as you enter their rooms. I'm playing it with GZDoom 4.2.1, maybe there's version differences?

Hylik wrote:This is a very cool map, I like it.

Thanks!
bowserknight

Postby bowserknight » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:25 pm

Dewzanity wrote:oh no double post

So I played through every single gauntlet in a playthrough, and I think there's a few minor things I'd like to mention. First, I did the whole thing without any health or armor bonus's, so they can certainly be taken out and still have each arena be a decently fair fight. I used save states to do this, because I thought I would die a lot. Turns out I only died to...

Yellow Baron (5 deaths). I'd say on the blue, purple, yellow, and red fights, maybe make there be 2 barons instead of 3, especially since Hege made barons kinda OP for some reason. I'm lookin at you Mr. Blue Baron! *shudder* :shock: :shock:

Red Baron (Probably around 40-60 deaths). I had red boss monsters on or something, but all three barons spawned as the boss red baron, which is strange, since the red archviles didn't spawn as bosses later on. I took a look at the code, turns out it just spawns plain old "RedBaron" instead of "RedBaron1", which means it really matters whether you have red bosses or not. I knew it was an error to have 3 red boss barons, but I just took on the challenge anyway. By far the most difficult fight if you have red bosses on.

Green Arachnotron (1 death)
Purple Arachnotron (1 death) I do think the arachnotron arena needs more cover, especially from the nightmarish hitscanning purple spider. Green arachnotron is just super strong for whatever reason, or at least, gives you no time to react to 80 damage projectiles or something.

Black Mancubus (1 death) Got owned by floor trails before I could get the megasphere. :(

Surprised to say I only died a single time to a black or white enemy. I also noticed that Black revenant, White revenant, Black archvile, and White archvile all suffer the same issue as Red baron, where there's no "2" after their actor name to ignore checking if b/w monsters are on or off.

Aside from that, really fun challenge, really well balanced! Nothing was really too easy or too difficult aside from either the ones I mentioned above, or just because the enemy itself is just too over or underpowered for what it should be in the mod. My finish time was at exactly 2 hours and 50 minutes, but you could probably add an extra half hour due to red baron deaths. I may also record myself doing a boss tournament again. :P

Edit : Another tiny flaw I forgot to mention that I just remembered. Apparently all of the white enemies in the gauntlets can exit out of the teleporter to the main hub area. This is most notable when fighting White Pain elemental, who's signature move is to run away from you, aaaaand into the teleporter! I guess that means my fight with him wasn't very legit. He's nearly impossible to fight anyway, unless you have heaps of cells around, which would very much come in handy I think to improve the fight.

Yeah I'm still trying some of these challenges myself because there were a few fights I wasn't 100% happy with. One that I always struggled with was the White Shotgunner but I already made it a little easier, I'm going to update the file very soon.

The red Baron thing was really a mistake, sorry about that!

For the Arachnotrons, one little advice I can give is to also use the outer sides of the pillars to hide, close to the blood river. I made the space between the pillars and the blood wide enough to stand on so you don't just have to be in the center. Also the damage of the blood is very low.

For the other boss monsters I gotta take a look at them again, thought I had all the right names in the scripts >.< Might also have to check the zoo scripts so there's no wrong monsters spawned if they're turned off... but I know that the Archviles are correct. The thing is, their base name is "Arch" but the 2 Archvile bosses are called "Vile" without a number, for some reason. The name "blackArch" or "whiteArch" is still used to check the setting, then the "black/whiteVile" gets spawned in.

EDIT: Oh and about the white boss exits: That is again completely intentional. I don't want the player to skip any bossfights so if they do, they might have to deal with the consequences later... :P And for the White Pain Elemental, it was one of the bosses I really struggled to find a good balance. If you have too much ammo, you can run it down with the BFG and kill it in a few seconds. It's a really weird fight, sometimes it just goes back into one of the previous rooms...
bowserknight

Postby Keldian » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 pm

bowserknight wrote:
Keldian wrote:I don't know if it's a bug or not, but the exits of the rooms with black and white monsters (or rather, the walls with skull textures in front of the exits) do not open for some reason.

Those are controlled by scripts that activate as soon as you enter their rooms. I'm playing it with GZDoom 4.2.1, maybe there's version differences?

Gzdoom 4.7.0 .
By the way, I played some more and noticed that there is some direct correlation between the strength/health of the monsters in the room and the time of opening the passage further. Especially well seen when you play with mods, where all the weapons are quite powerful and allows you to destroy monsters quickly, such as Russian Overkill or Guncaster.
Keldian

Postby bowserknight » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:08 pm

Keldian wrote:
bowserknight wrote:

Gzdoom 4.7.0 .
By the way, I played some more and noticed that there is some direct correlation between the strength/health of the monsters in the room and the time of opening the passage further. Especially well seen when you play with mods, where all the weapons are quite powerful and allows you to destroy monsters quickly, such as Russian Overkill or Guncaster.

That's because I designed this to be played without any other gameplay mods, only the regular weapons. Every passage has an individual time to fully open, based on how much time it generally took me to beat all the monsters inside the room while playtesting.

The skull walls in the white & black monster rooms, do they not move at all? Or do they just take a really long time for you?
bowserknight

Postby bowserknight » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:45 pm

Small update, the file in the folder has been updated. Here's the changes:

Spoiler:
bowserknight

Return to Gameplay Mods