Building Better Armor

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hey Doomer

Building Better Armor

Post by Hey Doomer »

Ever wished there was a visual indicator that your armor was doing something? This mod is my attempt at that.

This is an optimized version of my armor mod from viewtopic.php?f=105&t=74008 with menu options. It draws a grid of hexagons on the HUD that indicates the strength and integrity of armor. This can be flashed on the screen for a defined number of tics or always on. As your armor is depleted, the hexagons change color and holes, while random, are persistent.

I've defined the colors as Blue, Green, Yellow, and Red levels, but of course you can change these.

Screenshots:
https://i.postimg.cc/MKxSvtFS/Screensho ... 050407.png
https://i.postimg.cc/ncw06h7P/Screensho ... 050557.png
Spaceman333

Re: Building Better Armor

Post by Spaceman333 »

Pretty cool.

Would be neat if there was an ArmorBlock% text/number somewhere too, since iirc blue armor blocked 75% of incoming damage, while green blocked only 50%.
Plasmazippo
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Plasmazippo »

Spaceman333 wrote:Pretty cool.

Would be neat if there was an ArmorBlock% text/number somewhere too, since iirc blue armor blocked 75% of incoming damage, while green blocked only 50%.
You're mixing things up. Doom's blue armor blocks 50% and green does 33%. In Heretic the basic armor (silver shield) blocks 50% and the blue armor equivalent (enchanted shield) blocks 75%. But all the same you make a good point, it'd be neat if the hex UI was tied to the ArmorBlock value.
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about amount depleted on the HUD or in the hex itself? Not quite able to visualize...
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Hey Doomer wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about amount depleted on the HUD or in the hex itself? Not quite able to visualize...
No, no changes to the hexes.
Just an additional single line of text saying "Armor Save %: 50" somewhere on the screen - so that player knows how much damage their armor will absorb from the impact.

For vanilla doom, sure, its easy to know - 33% for green and 50% for blue (thx Plasmazippo). But for modded armor the armor save % might be anything. If the mod could get that info and display it subtly somewhere conveniently, player would now how exactly good that armor they just picked it really is, without needing to check it in Slade.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”