Building a Better Barrel

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Building a Better Barrel

Postby Hey Doomer » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Not only have I always found Doom's barrels ugly, I've mostly considered them an irritant. So I have tried to build a better one.

Screenshots:
https://i.postimg.cc/gJLD5q5v/Screenshot-Doom-20211130-170344.png
https://i.postimg.cc/VvyRc0Q2/Screenshot-Doom-20211130-170405.png

Includes the following:
    New sprite for the barrel itself (PNG of a steel drum)
    Varying amount of health - some barrels are sturdier than others
    Nukage bubbles emanating and burbling
    Explosion with shrapnel (nails) and a few other minor surprises
    Smoke
    Splattered nukage and burn marks

This isn't fancy and I certainly do not have patience to be a sprite artist. It's more of a test drive for me on what GZDoom can do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hey Doomer

Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Building a Better Barrel

Postby MsrSgtShooterPerson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm

This is an excellent mod - I've been playing with a number of mods that either have or don't have redesigned barrel sprites and effects, and I tend to play the ones that do or try to figure out to how to just borrow a barrel actor from a mod with preferable effects. I can't believe this hasn't been done before. :D

Just in case, are there any plans to potentially include different choices of sprites or even explosion effects?
MsrSgtShooterPerson

Location: Lost in the infinite hells of ObAddon and I'm fine with that.
Discord: MsrSgtShooterPerson
Github ID: GTD-Carthage

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:25 am

how big is the blast radius on these? good god i was playing a vanillafied version of Ashes 2063. and on the 1st level. i blow up some that reveals a secret into a room with some armor in it. and i was far enough away and i still got damaged
MrRumbleRoses

Postby Hey Doomer » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 am

Just in case, are there any plans to potentially include different choices of sprites or even explosion effects?

I have no immediate plans, but I like the idea. It's already been done: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=56866

how big is the blast radius on these?

None as far as the explosion itself.

Since a barrel consists of metal (and whatever the goop is) radial damage from shrapnel and/or radiation makes sense. That's what I was going for, so I added two things: A_Explode with minimal naildamage that radiates from an actor's center; a 50% chance of a shotgun blast to hit the player with a ranged attack. The idea here is to simulate radial shrapnel/radiation damage that can be significant yet not strong enough to wipe everything else out. Originally I wondered about modified bullets but wanted something broader with a range without performance issues. That's the thought process anyway.

These changes don't make them as lethal as the above mod, perhaps, just something to be very wary of. Again if this was real life I'd shoot them as a last resort. And I certainly would never use one as cover. If a rusted 50-gallon steel drum of unknown integrity filled with volatile waste exploded within 50 feet of me, it would be a Code Brown for sure.
Hey Doomer

Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:09 am

well. i will say that, it's quite hard to know how far back one has to be in order to set some of these off. i tried Ashes & even Maps Of Chaos. and just when i think i'm in the clear, i somehow take some damage. and if these barrels are deadly on there own. god help us all when there's some together
MrRumbleRoses

Postby MentzWolf » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Funny seeing this now as I was working of some barrel reskin sprites a while back:

MentzWolf
Renaissance Man

Discord: Frosted_Moontips#2454
Twitch ID: Frosted_Moontips
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Gameplay Mods