Brutal Doom Platinum v3.0 release! GZ focused MEATHOOK

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.1 release! GZ focused brutal for

Postby m1lk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:44 am

fucking awesome, cant wait to try this. i LOVE Dox's brutal doom fork, if this one is even better then good!
m1lk

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby m1lk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:09 am

ummm so where is the new run animation on the weapons, I dont see it????

also will you ever release an HD Weapons pack??
m1lk

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later

Postby rautamiekka » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:44 am

Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.
rautamiekka

Twitch ID: rautamiekka
Github ID: rautamiekka
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vordenko » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:14 pm

rautamiekka wrote:Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.

Honestly? There's already enough Brutal Doom versions that are Zandronum centric. Having one to add to the small pile of GZdoom focused ones won't hurt.

Besides, ZScript allows for a lot more flexibility with the code, and can make Brutal Doom's notorious bad performance on big mapsets a thing of the past (To some degree at least.)
Vordenko
Worse than Jesus.
Global Moderator

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby rautamiekka » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Vordenko wrote:
rautamiekka wrote:Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.

Honestly? There's already enough Brutal Doom versions that are Zandronum centric. Having one to add to the small pile of GZdoom focused ones won't hurt.

Besides, ZScript allows for a lot more flexibility with the code, and can make Brutal Doom's notorious bad performance on big mapsets a thing of the past (To some degree at least.)

Guess I need to seriously look for them cuz I don't hear about Zandronum-centric BD mods much at all, and GZD-centric ones haven't been plentiful either and the ones that are GZD-centric are good while the Zandronum-centric ones aren't worth the attention, so far.
rautamiekka

Postby affandede » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 am

rautamiekka wrote:
Vordenko wrote:

Guess I need to seriously look for them cuz I don't hear about Zandronum-centric BD mods much at all, and GZD-centric ones haven't been plentiful either and the ones that are GZD-centric are good while the Zandronum-centric ones aren't worth the attention, so far.

Isn't BD itself Zandronum compatible?
affandede

Postby rautamiekka » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 pm

affandede wrote:
rautamiekka wrote:
Vordenko wrote:[...]

Isn't BD itself Zandronum compatible?

That's exactly the thing. But Project Brutality 3.0 was said by the dev over at GitHub that what it uses doesn't exist in Zandronum (yet), therefore if this mod also doesn't work with Zandronum, it's all too easy to modify BD to break Zandronum.
rautamiekka

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:38 pm

Zandronum can be a bit of a nightmare to develop for, and it's incredibly unlikely that gz and zandronum will merge or anything like that

Regardless, gzdoom multiplayer for platinum is planned
EmeraldCoasttt

Discord: Emerald#7486

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:58 am

Thanks for considering what I requested!

I figured I'd also ask about a bug and a feature. (heh) There's been a bug even back in Dox's addon when "Aiming Options" is set to "Hold" where if you run out of ammo while aiming, you'll reload, then once you fire it'll aim for a second, go back out of aiming, and continue firing. This also happens with Auto-Reload disabled. Do you know of a possible way to fix this in the mod? I'd assume its possible since other mods have hold-aiming that work fine. (ie PB, Hellrider, etc)

As for the feature, one thing that's always confused me was the point of the Machine Gun's Dual-Wield functionality, where you start holding the belt of ammo in one hand and the Machine Gun in the other. Does this actually do anything different to firing normally?
mamaluigisbagel
aka Mr. Johngus Dongus

Discord: Nonemployee#1013

Postby rautamiekka » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:21 am

EmeraldCoasttt wrote:Zandronum can be a bit of a nightmare to develop for, and it's incredibly unlikely that gz and zandronum will merge or anything like that

Why both ?
rautamiekka

Postby determin1st » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 am

actually, writing for zandronum is easier to me, because its test cycle is much shorter (despite decorate is less advanced, some A_* functions doesn't work etc). you write some ACS code, compile it (this is another obstacle - why slade can't auto-compile on save, eh, send a request at github), then alt-tab to the console and start the testmap - test the code. it takes a lot more time to start gzdoom (it also has problem with replacing actors with the same name), generally - shorter test cycle.

maybe it's not an issue for graphics or simpler things, but in my opinion (who cares :D ) gzdoom may align itself with some ugliness (shines) of zandronum, so any written zandronum mod becomes compatible with gz.
determin1st

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 pm

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Thanks for considering what I requested!

I figured I'd also ask about a bug and a feature. (heh) There's been a bug even back in Dox's addon when "Aiming Options" is set to "Hold" where if you run out of ammo while aiming, you'll reload, then once you fire it'll aim for a second, go back out of aiming, and continue firing. This also happens with Auto-Reload disabled. Do you know of a possible way to fix this in the mod? I'd assume its possible since other mods have hold-aiming that work fine. (ie PB, Hellrider, etc)

As for the feature, one thing that's always confused me was the point of the Machine Gun's Dual-Wield functionality, where you start holding the belt of ammo in one hand and the Machine Gun in the other. Does this actually do anything different to firing normally?

I keep forgetting to fix that lol
As for the machine gun, that's purely decorative (it looks cool!)

Machine gun will likely get an actually functional weapon special in the future, probably an alternate grenade type
EmeraldCoasttt

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:50 pm

It does look cool, but I at first thought it made the spread more horizontal and less accurate so wanted some confirmation lol

Hope we can get an update to fix the aiming bug sometime soon. That's the only thing that's been bugging me a lot about this mod. (don't rush yourself, of course)
mamaluigisbagel
aka Mr. Johngus Dongus

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:13 am

Reposting for a bug (which may be known) but got killed while sprinting, and the sprinting sprite got stuck on the screen.

mamaluigisbagel
aka Mr. Johngus Dongus

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:48 am

!!!Video editor needed!!!

A major thing holding back v1.2 is that I suck at video editing, and I want to have a showcase video for each update
If anyone could help me with that, that would be amazing!

Sorry this update has taken so long, I've had halo infinite to play on top of that :3

Here's a new feature for your troubles:
EmeraldCoasttt

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods