Brutal Doom - WW2 Weapon Pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Brutal Doom - WW2 Weapon Pack

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:41 am

A comprehensive World War 2 weapon pack with 38 authentic firearms – made from scratch. Please read the included manual for every necessary detail!

WW2 Weapon Pack with 5x2 optional spawner/replacer sub-addon!

Included guns:

US:

M1911A1
M1917 S&W
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
Springfield
M1A1 Thompson
M3 Greaser
BAR
M1919A6
Bazooka

UK:

Webley
Browning HP
Sten
M1928 Thompson (Chicago style)
De Lisle Commando Carbine
Lee-Enfield
Bren
Lewis
PIAT

GER:

Luger
P38
MP40
MP28
Kar98k
G43
StG44
FG42
MG42
Panzerfaust 60

USSR:

TT-33
Nagant revolver
PPSh-41
PPS-43
Mosin-Nagant
SVT40
DP28
Maxim-Tokarev 1925
PTRS41

The recommended loading order:

Brutal Doom v21 (unmodified)
WW2 Weapon Pack
Any (but only one) optional sub-addon

The hardcore sub-addons include a bulk system which is limiting your carrying capacity (like you just cannot carry a Bazooka and a Bren at the same time – making side arms far more valuable) and introducing more, different kinds of ammunition.

Download:

https://www.moddb.com/addons/start/2211 ... ddb.com%2F

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/0b00boZ8oms
Last edited by Thorir1993 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorir1993

Discord: Thorir
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Brutal Doom - WW2 Weapon Pack

Postby Valherran » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:57 am

I had a look at this using the US weapons, it's OK at best. I'm not a fan of mag dumping which some of these weapons do when you reload, and some you can't reload at all which I don't understand why. Other problem is that the weapons only uses 3 ammo types, pistol rounds, rifle rounds, and rockets. This is a problem because it makes other weapons nearly obsolete when you pick up the bigger guns that do enough damage to the point where you can main it for the rest of the game, which gets boring quickly. This was something mods like WW-Nazis! did right which was make most weapons use different ammo types to keep the weapon usage more fluent and balanced. As for bugs there was only one, and that is you start the game with the Brutal Doom Rifle or Pistol instead of a WW2 weapon from whatever pack you chose.
Valherran

Postby ClessxAlghazanth » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:59 am

Wow ,now this is really impressive :twisted: Like a fresh air for BD

The amount of weapons and detail is great , especially in a time when most BD addons use same sprites over and over with just minor changes :D

They all even have custom images in weaponwheel :P

Congrats on this one 8-)

Any future plans ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClessxAlghazanth

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:01 am

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Wow ,now this is really impressive :twisted: Like a fresh air for BD

The amount of weapons and detail is great , especially in a time when most BD addons use same sprites over and over with just minor changes :D

They all even have custom images in weaponwheel :P

Congrats on this one 8-)

Any future plans ?

Thank you! :)
Custom grenades for each nation and maybe Italian, Hungarian and Japanese firearms - but later...
Thorir1993

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:04 am

Valherran wrote:I had a look at this using the US weapons, it's OK at best. I'm not a fan of mag dumping which some of these weapons do when you reload, and some you can't reload at all which I don't understand why. Other problem is that the weapons only uses 3 ammo types, pistol rounds, rifle rounds, and rockets. This is a problem because it makes other weapons nearly obsolete when you pick up the bigger guns that do enough damage to the point where you can main it for the rest of the game, which gets boring quickly. This was something mods like WW-Nazis! did right which was make most weapons use different ammo types to keep the weapon usage more fluent and balanced. As for bugs there was only one, and that is you start the game with the Brutal Doom Rifle or Pistol instead of a WW2 weapon from whatever pack you chose.

Try the hardcore mode and read the manual, if you are up to invest more time into that. Might solve some of your complaints.

Unable to reload the Garand while you still have rounds in the mag is an homage to the early 2000s videogames where it was a common misconception that you cannot do so.

Mag dumping like in the case of M1917?
Thorir1993

Postby Valherran » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:11 am

Ah, so you moved the different ammo types to hardcore. Why though? It would be just fine to have that in standard.

Unable to reload the Garand while you still have rounds in the mag is an homage to the early 2000s videogames where it was a common misconception that you cannot do so.

Eh I dunno, Call of Duty managed it, so did Battlefield. Would be nice if the gun didn't have a slow ROF and could fire as fast as you pulled the trigger. The hit detections was a little weird too, sometimes I'd see the bullet pass through an enemy and not deal damage and also have that god-awful James Bond-style weapon accuracy where bullets can exit out of the barrel at 45 degrees.

And yes, that revolver. Unsure if other weapons do that, haven't looked. I just dislike mag dumping in general.
Last edited by Valherran on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 am

Valherran wrote:Ah, so you moved the different ammo types to hardcore. Why though? It would be just fine to have that in standard.

Just wanted to make it as flexible as possible. I mean, probably the vanilla (not the hardcore) could be more compatible to different addons. You know... allowing the player to choose his/her way how to play it.
Thorir1993

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:22 am

Valherran wrote:Ah, so you moved the different ammo types to hardcore. Why though? It would be just fine to have that in standard.

Eh I dunno, Call of Duty managed it, so did Battlefield. Would be nice if the gun didn't have a slow ROF and could fire as fast as you pulled the trigger. The hit detections was a little weird too, sometimes I'd see the bullet pass through an enemy and not deal damage and also have that god-awful James Bond-style weapon accuracy where bullets can exit out of the barrel at 45 degrees.

And yes, that revolver. Unsure if other weapons do that, haven't looked. I just dislike mag dumping in general.

I have nothing to do with hit detection, but firing from the hip indeed has a higher spread compaired to iron sights.

You can't reload Garand in CoD1/UO midclip and BF1942 doesn't even have Garand as far as I remember.
Thorir1993

Postby Valherran » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:34 am

ou can't reload Garand in CoD1/UO midclip and BF1942 doesn't even have Garand as far as I remember.

Maybe I was thinking of Medal of Honor. But It was there in BF1942, Engineers had it and it did reload.
Valherran

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:42 am

Valherran wrote:
ou can't reload Garand in CoD1/UO midclip and BF1942 doesn't even have Garand as far as I remember.

Maybe I was thinking of Medal of Honor. But It was there in BF1942, Engineers had it and it did reload.

You cannot in MoHAA either. But nonetheless it's a misconception indeed. Idk, just felt like it would be fun to make a reference to these classics. But in exchange it has the highest damage output among all self-loading rifles.
Thorir1993

Postby The Philosopher » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 am

Its really good! Especially the soviet pack, i love the PTRS-41, one thing that needs some touches is that the majority of weapons seems a little stiff when firing, maybe using offsets could make them more smooth when firing
The Philosopher

Postby Thorir1993 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 am

The Philosopher wrote:Its really good! Especially the soviet pack, i love the PTRS-41, one thing that needs some touches is that the majority of weapons seems a little stiff when firing, maybe using offsets could make them more smooth when firing

Yeah I know, but I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good on them. :D

But I'm happy that you like the PTRS. It packs a punch, but kinda bulky...
Thorir1993

Postby Valherran » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:22 pm

I gave the hardcore mode a shot, but I only cleared the first couple levels because for some reason I cannot drop weapons for other ones. I tried pressing B, I tried rebinding the key to a different key and it just doesn't work.
Valherran

Postby Thorir1993 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:14 am

Valherran wrote:I gave the hardcore mode a shot, but I only cleared the first couple levels because for some reason I cannot drop weapons for other ones. I tried pressing B, I tried rebinding the key to a different key and it just doesn't work.

Idk. Working for me, haven't heard about the issue from anybody else. Which hardcore is that? US?
Thorir1993

Postby Valherran » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:34 am

Thorir1993 wrote:
Valherran wrote:I gave the hardcore mode a shot, but I only cleared the first couple levels because for some reason I cannot drop weapons for other ones. I tried pressing B, I tried rebinding the key to a different key and it just doesn't work.

Idk. Working for me, haven't heard about the issue from anybody else. Which hardcore is that? US?

Yeah I was using the US pack.
Valherran

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods