[v0.4 BETA Update] Doom Fighters

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: [BETA Release] Doom Fighters

Post by Baratus »

Excellent, gave this a go in a couple of levelsets, and it's a very promising transformation of Doom's usual gameplay! It's quite satisfying to wail on enemies and hurl them across the map, even if it generally takes longer to kill some enemies than the Vanilla doom experience, but a very fun and cathartic time nonetheless.

Will you be planning to add special moves or utility moves in future? Like a wall-kick, or special moves activated by specific inputs, or on cooldowns like Doom 2016's equipment? This is an excellent foundation and I would love to see it built upon even more.
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Carrotear »

I uploaded this yesterday and forgot to share it here. But gosh damn, I played this with so many different setups it'd be like 3 pages long of a single comment if I list them here.
dard98
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by dard98 »

It would be nice to add some firearms to pick up for one time use. Some levels need that to progress.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

dard98 wrote:It would be nice to add some firearms to pick up for one time use. Some levels need that to progress.
Some more weapons in general would be nice, the weapon selection is fairly limited for a beat 'em up style mod. I also agree, some ranged weapons would also be a good idea for maps with hit switches or enemies out of reach.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

For those ranged encounters I'd rather vote for these tools to be added:
  • a grapling hook to pull enemies/barrels towards (in groups or individually) and to move around the level for the player too.
  • a serrated spear on a chain (some sort of returnable harpoon basically) as a ranged weapon with many applications for throwing, pulling and pinning enemies to walls temporarily. And as a semi-melee weapon, almost like the old God of War games.
  • an enemy teleporter (relocate any line of sight enemies to your position and confuse/stun them), allowing you to wail on them.
Guns or thrown weapons would seem wrong for this mod imo. :nope:

(btw holy shit this mod is super cool : O)
edypagaza

Post by edypagaza »

hi everyone, i read all the messsges and suggestions.
this is just the beta release, firearms, ranged weapons and melee weapons will
be added in future versions with alot of new content.
be patient, ill pulish this mod very well.
MentzWolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MentzWolf »

Finally, a true to form beat-em-up mod for Doom!!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

PatCatz2004 wrote:the doomguy model just doesn't show up for me, and I was using LZDOOM too
But are you using the OpenGL renderer? BTW there's an option to enable models in the Carmack software renderer too.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Dude, this is amazing. So much fun, the moves so far are really satisfying, great sound effects. Can't wait for future versions!

Never seen something like this done before. I love the fresh ideas this community continues to come up with.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

There's only three things I'd change about what you've released so far:
1. Give the jumping punch a bit of lift, for DMC-style air combos. Either that or replace it with a falling kick, similar to the sword's air attacks.
2. Speaking of, the sword's air attacks feel kinda wimpy damage-wise, given the visuals. It also doesn't feel right to land directly on a monster's head and just kinda stop there. I would increase the damage, and add some end lag to the attack, so that it becomes a more risky but high-damage move.
3. And finally, I'd increase the jump height and give the flying kick a bit of downward velocity to compensate. I struggle to hit anything that's in the air (hello, cacodemons) without tossing smaller enemies at them; this change would give me some options for taking flying swings at them, and give me more of a window to use the flying kick and sword drop, while the added downward velocity on the kick means you can still throw flying kicks out in close quarters. Alternatively, give me a double-jump--that'd let me control my height more easily.
edypagaza

Post by edypagaza »

dawnbreez wrote:There's only three things I'd change about what you've released so far:
1. Give the jumping punch a bit of lift, for DMC-style air combos. Either that or replace it with a falling kick, similar to the sword's air attacks.
2. Speaking of, the sword's air attacks feel kinda wimpy damage-wise, given the visuals. It also doesn't feel right to land directly on a monster's head and just kinda stop there. I would increase the damage, and add some end lag to the attack, so that it becomes a more risky but high-damage move.
3. And finally, I'd increase the jump height and give the flying kick a bit of downward velocity to compensate. I struggle to hit anything that's in the air (hello, cacodemons) without tossing smaller enemies at them; this change would give me some options for taking flying swings at them, and give me more of a window to use the flying kick and sword drop, while the added downward velocity on the kick means you can still throw flying kicks out in close quarters. Alternatively, give me a double-jump--that'd let me control my height more easily.
i already worked with that, ill release a version soon
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Neat! I've thought a lot about a project like this myself. I won't bore anyone with the details. But I will say that it'd be cool if the enemies got reworked to be more melee-oriented themselves. I bet a chaingunner would have a mean right hook.
edypagaza

Post by edypagaza »

drfrag wrote:But are you using the OpenGL renderer? BTW there's an option to enable models in the Carmack software renderer too.
sorry, only openGL renderer.
dawnbreez wrote: There's only three things I'd change about what you've released so far:
i just added the aereal combo for fist, now im working with the crucible.
Darlos wrote:Neat! I've thought a lot about a project like this myself. I won't bore anyone with the details. But I will say that it'd be cool if the enemies got reworked to be more melee-oriented themselves. I bet a chaingunner would have a mean right hook.
sure, enemies will be in 3D in final release, with combos and custom animations
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

I have downloaded and played this mod for a bit and I am impressed with what's on offer so far. A melee oriented mod, and a third-person oriented one at that, is something that is often buried under the many other types of mods here and on other Doom Mod sites. So, having a mod where I can play as Doomguy and beat up the endless hordes of Hell with my bare hands is a cathartic experience.

I do have some feedback to give:

1. It could be just me, but the punches sometimes fall short on enemies so I end up hitting the air in front of them instead. A slight increase to the range of Doomguy's punches could mitigate this (Either that or I'm not close enough to actually hit them to begin with).

2. The lack of a ranged option outside of throwing barrels and Crucibles does pose a noticeable challenge, especially on maps (official or community made) where enemies such as Chaingunners, Revenants, and Archvilles are perched on high areas (as well as maps where you face down the Icon of Sin but you already have a plan for that, it seems). A mainstay ranged weapon like the Super Shotgun could help mitigate this while still keeping with the theme of getting up close and personal with the enemies.
edypagaza

Post by edypagaza »

EnriksD8 wrote:I have downloaded and played this mod for a bit and I am impressed with what's on offer so far. A melee oriented mod, and a third-person oriented one at that, is something that is often buried under the many other types of mods here and on other Doom Mod sites. So, having a mod where I can play as Doomguy and beat up the endless hordes of Hell with my bare hands is a cathartic experience.

I do have some feedback to give:

1. It could be just me, but the punches sometimes fall short on enemies so I end up hitting the air in front of them instead. A slight increase to the range of Doomguy's punches could mitigate this (Either that or I'm not close enough to actually hit them to begin with).

2. The lack of a ranged option outside of throwing barrels and Crucibles does pose a noticeable challenge, especially on maps (official or community made) where enemies such as Chaingunners, Revenants, and Archvilles are perched on high areas (as well as maps where you face down the Icon of Sin but you already have a plan for that, it seems). A mainstay ranged weapon like the Super Shotgun could help mitigate this while still keeping with the theme of getting up close and personal with the enemies.
hey, I'm glad you liked it, in this newer version that I'm working on:
1.- is already fixed, trying to punch enemies downstairs was a big issue so, I fixed that
2.- ranged weapons will be very limited, since it brokes the gameplay, so I'm planning instead that enemies will spawn near of you if they can't reach you in a certain time.
3.- the ssg and bfg for sure will be in the mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”