Sensible Heretic

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Sensible Heretic

Postby kalensar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm

So this is a simple re-imagining of how the Heretic weaponry works. Nothing real drastic. Heretic needed to feel less like doom with 6 BFG equivalents and more like its own magic. Now I'm going to say I didn't rebuild the game from the top down, but what I did do was focus less on Tomes of Power saving and more on fast killing to a degree. I would dare say this mod makes Heretic a slight bit easier but also harder at the same time.

So lets get down to brass tacks on how the weapons now perform. There are 2 versions in the file: Basic Sensible Heretic which is a tiny text only style pk3 weighing in at 2.1 KB, and Sensible Heretic which utilizes Lagi's wonderful monster pack called Mellow Heretic which is basically Smooth Heretic Monsters and destructable Barrels. Lagi gives express permission to use these monsters or bad unmentionable things will happen if you don't. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=70728

1. Goldwand now shoots faster. It now shoots a projectile instead of a hitscan. Damage is vanilla. It also has a Altfire of a Staff Swing. Yay, Now you dont need to switch weapons to melee. In Sensible Heretic the wand does Fire damage so monsters will die in flames for theatrical effect only.

2. Gauntlets : The Gauntlets use their Powered Version on the main fire so they drain life, but do less damage as fast as the vanilla version. The Altfire consumes Goldwand crystals at 1 per cast to cast the ever annoying Whirlwind spell. This is more about crowd control rather than big damage.

3. Crossbow: The Crossbow nowonly shoots 5 green arrows in a horizontal fan pattern, making it completely useless against ghosts. The altfire is a Staff Melee like on the Gold Wand. Why? Because the buttstock of the Crossbow looks long enough to be one. :lol:

4. Dragon Claw: The main fire is still vanilla. The new Altfire can be held to release when ready and fires its Powered up Version shot at 5 ammo a shot.

5. The last 3 weapons do not gain anything new and they lose their powered up shots. I tested e5m8 to make sure there was still enough killing power, and there was.

6. Tome of Power is now a Time Freeze item. I couldn't think of anything more fitting or powerful for the Tome to do. It doesn't have any sound effects but it works exactly like intended.

7. In Sensible Heretic version, but not Basic Sensible Heretic, the Barrels can be destroyed to find Wand Ammo, Blue Vials, and Health Potions.

8. The Sensible Heretic is harder than the Basic version because the monsters are a lot more aggressive. The Mellow Heretic Maulotaurs are quite fearsome. Seriously though, its super fun.

So yeah, easier to melee and slightly better fire power and the Book now does Time Freeze. It was really fun to play around on and only affects the weapons, monsters and Barrels. The Basic Sensible Heretic only affects the weapons and Book. Enjoy!

Demo Video

Download here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Goq8jY ... sp=sharing
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Re: Sensible Heretic

Postby kalensar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:30 am

Added a demo video.
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Return to Gameplay Mods