Skeletal Doom 1.07d

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dex909

Skeletal Doom 1.07d

Post by dex909 »

title.png
title.png (29.26 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
DOOM© Skeletal

Version 1.07c

Description

Skeletal is a mod compilation to add a few more micromanaging gameplay elements to the base game. I wanted something additionally to do while shooting my way through the maps without making the gameplay too slow and overly complex.
It combines various gameplay ideas and combines added featuresand details in vanilla fashion. Including new characteristics for weapons and small additional game mechanics. This is mostly experimental and more of a private collection of sorts.

This started out as an attempt to compile and modify my own preferred gameplay style for Doom so it's definitely not for everyone and very experimental. To explore new wads and give myself a challenge now and then. The pacing is quite different and the added micro management of items will occupy your mind even more during heated fire fights. If you can find enjoyment in this experimental playstyle like I do, this is for you.

Feel free to post your suggestions and ideas on things to add, remove or change. Since is is based on free community mods, you can also take whatever parts you like to use in your own projects or ideas and modify everything to your liking as far as proper credits included.

Compatible with GZDoom 4.6.1.0+

Compatible with "Corrupution Cards"!

As universal as I could build it and compatible with many other mods.

Features:

- "Impending Doom" feature to escape death
- varied combination of selected community mods
- looting corpses for weapons, ammunition and items
. durability system for weapons
- bleeding and injury system
- encumbrance and stamina system
- custom magazine system for pistol
- reload and secondary fire based on Weapons of Saturn
. enemies and mechanics based on Legion of Bones
- custom minimalistic HUD
- vanilla look and feel where possible, inlcuding adjusted vanilla sounds for weapons
- custom tweaks to graphics and details in vanilla fashion
- score system and highscore table for every map

(outdated)
(outdated)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Wishlist:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
Known Bugs:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Addons:
Spoiler:
Guide:
Spoiler:
Last edited by dex909 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 am, edited 183 times in total.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03h

Post by kalensar »

To kill the corpse blocking you put A_NoBlocking on the death state. Should be usable for the corpse searching function too. Never done, used or made that feature as I just use random spawners for item drops on enemies.
dex909

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03h

Post by dex909 »

Thank you kalensar! :) I set that state when creating the corpse but have to check the search function in the corpse script again :idea:

Edit: found a way, the corpses should no longer block any paths now.
Pale_Navigator
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03i

Post by Pale_Navigator »

Got this after shooting a Shotgunner.
Attachments
Error.png
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Actually happens with zombiemen and imps too, my GZDOOM is updated to the latest version, i get the same error, my only guess would be something to do with headshots, as it crashes when i go for those, shooting them in the chest or legs are fine.
dex909

Post by dex909 »

Ah interesting, thanks for the reports! Haven't had this happening to me so far, maybe a fix I made in 1.03i is causing this. I will try to fix this as soon as possible :)

Edit: alright I can't reproduce it so far with GZDoom g4.7.0 - did any of you try it on a fresh install without any previous .ini settings or other mods? Based on the error report you sent, the

Code: Select all

csh_critical_effect
value checked for the array in line 319 is out of bounds.

This is line 319 in the crits.zc:

let hitfx = monster.spawn(csh_visualFX[csh_critical_effect], inflictor.pos);
But even if I set

csh_critical_effect
(which is a cvar) to 6 (which should be out of bounds and probably produce the same error you had), the headshots will still work without any error. I summoned about a hundred of shotgunguys several times and tried headshots only and used the beretta as you did previous to the error, it did not crash for me so far. However, the error has indeed something to do with the crits. Probably at the exact moment the headshot effect (slightly more bloodsplatter) should set in. But I have not idea on how to reproduce that exact situtation :-|
Pale_Navigator
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pale_Navigator »

I ran into the same problem recently when running another wad with Mikk's Crits. It's almost as if the enemy isn't configured for headshots or something. I usually ran into it when it was a non standard doom enemy. For example, I believe I caused it to crash by headshotting a Terminator on DRLA. I'm not a coder, but that's my theory.
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Having a fresh folder seemed to fix that particular issue, so i guess just having a separate folder for the mod will, have to do.
dex909

Post by dex909 »

Great! :) Where there any specific mods in your previous folder? Maybe there's an incompatiblity here I can rule out in the readme for other players :idea:
dex909

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03j

Post by dex909 »

Found a way to let freshly picked up pistols correctly show their remaining durability! :oops: Updated to version 1.03j as well, enjoy :)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

The concept is really interesting and the graphics are cool and all the plugins but I have some major issues right now.
Spoiler:
dex909

Post by dex909 »

Thanks for taking the time to offer some in-depth feedback, Crudux Cruo! :) Those are very good questions and I will try to explain my point of view as insightful as I can.
Spoiler:
Last edited by dex909 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

From what I've played so far, I like the idea behind what is essentially a modpack with custom tweaks, but it's highly unstable right now. The grappling hook can be spammed indefinitely, completely negating the slow movement speed. Also, the shotgun has a very interesting bug, where you can eject spent shells indefinitely as well. Current hud options are a bit buggy as well. You can have your Crosshair disabled option turned on, but it only works if you also have your default crosshair set to none.

The respawning monsters are manageable as long as they only respawn once. Not trying to play Nightmare anytime soon. Also, I acquired a shotgun off a fallen Devil enemy. Are monster drops supposed to be handled like that?

This mod is pretty unbalanced in its current state. :?
dex909

Post by dex909 »

Thanks for the feedback, Doomguy914: I originally wanted the crosshair to be always on but left the option to disable it or choose others. It is basically how the original precise crosshair worked. I will look into this. Rest of the HUD should work as intended.

The grappling hook is indeed not optimal. Added it as a means to compensate for the speed in certain jumping situations. I might add more time to its current cooldown, still taking suggestions for this elementy, too 😉 Have to check the shotgun shell eject again.

And yes, any monster can currently drop any weapon. Weapon supply should not be the issue, only deciding which and what to carry. But as for making more sense in regards to each creature, I may limit certain items to certain creatures. So that a pinkie won't drop a pistol for example.
dex909

Post by dex909 »

The grappling hook will now be less spammy and only available as an alt fire when selecting melee. The shotgun will not endlessly eject empty shells anymore, thanks Doomguy914!

@Doomguy914: Concerning the crosshair: to disable the precise crosshair go to Options -> Precise Crosshair -> Enabled and select "No", the original mod does not interfere with the ZDoom crosshairs so it is possible to have both (disabled by default) which could be irritating
Last edited by dex909 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”