Universal Possession - v1.2 (14/09/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Universal Possession - v1.1 (11/09/2021)

Postby TheNightATK300 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 am

Just one problem, in Hideous Destructor specifically, monsters that use armor or shield are immune to possessions unless you remove their armor or destroy their shield, other than that, it worked fine!
TheNightATK300
Teh person.

Discord: XSlayer300#2323

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:54 am

As Cutman Mike was here... I noticed something that does conflict with something that increases speed like in Corruption Cards, where it makes the possessed enemy move on it's own and usually still does when shooting as well. Do not think anyone else noticed it too hm.
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby TDRR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Updated! Time to address more of your comments.

Cutmanmike wrote:This mod puts a smile on my face. Not because of what it offers for gameplay, just the way it was done. When I read this post I was certain it would involve some zscript shenanigans, but it's actually a very clever use of DECORATE, ACS and knowhow of (Z)Doom's mechanics. Zandronum modding is full of stuff like this, love to see it (even if I curse working in that engine sometimes). Good job :)

Thank you! Really means a lot coming from a veteran like you!

lizardcommando wrote:Very neat mod! It seems to work with my old Lizard Squad mod. It would be nice to be able to tell how many kills you need in order to start possessing enemies (unless there was already a way to see that amount, which I have not figured out).

Added in 1.2! On the top right corner it'll display your kill count, in yellow if it's not enough to have your weapon charged, and in red when it is.

Starman the Blaziken wrote:Also since I came on to play some more of the mod from Doom Barracks Zone X along with a couple mods. I seen that I actually can spam a possess charge at a distance and it can hit multiple enemies to let me control them all in sync with one having the camera behind them. It is pretty funny to watch multiple knights and a cyber possessed, but I am sure that should be patched since I can only view one of them.

Fixed in 1.2. Now you can only have one possession projectile out per player at any given time.

Starman the Blaziken wrote:I also also came by a thing while in one of the mods being Corruption Cards with enemies spawning with little itty bippy sized pets that I can actually res as a possessed Archvile and sometimes corpses on a different elevation or something. I dunno if it is a bit rusty or some balancing thing that keeps it from doing it normally, but I would sure love to do it more.

To be honest I could never get that to happen myself, so I thought Arch-Viles couldn't resurrect monsters while possessed. But glad to hear it's possible, albeit unlikely, might try to find a way to make it happen more often or something.

Artman2004 wrote:Nice mod, very fun to play with. However, the possessed enemies will only trigger their attacks when they are looking at other enemies. Is there any way to fix this?

There probably is, a bit tricky though. However, it's not really that great of an idea, many monsters (like the Arch-Vile to name a vanilla example), need to have a target in order to deal damage correctly, and this would render those attacks useless (since it'd be targeting a dummy actor placed wherever the monster's aiming, at least in the workaround I can think of).

TheNightATK300 wrote:Just one problem, in Hideous Destructor specifically, monsters that use armor or shield are immune to possessions unless you remove their armor or destroy their shield, other than that, it worked fine!

While technically unintended, I don't see that as a problem. I mean, it makes sense shielding could save them from getting possessed, it adds a bit of a dynamic to it.
...plus I don't know if that could even be fixed from my end :p

Starman the Blaziken wrote:As Cutman Mike was here... I noticed something that does conflict with something that increases speed like in Corruption Cards, where it makes the possessed enemy move on it's own and usually still does when shooting as well. Do not think anyone else noticed it too hm.

Sort of fixed in 1.2. I just added a custom deck for the mod that removes that specific card.
If any other problems arise then it's probably better to make that a compatibility patch, and replace the problematic cards with tweaked versions, but this should hold for now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Chex Quest incompatibility brought up by Starman the Blaziken, oops. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I'll investigate further for a later update. Tried adding "DOHARMSPECIES" to the possessed monsters but unfortunately it didn't work, so there's probably something else at play here.
TDRR
Zandronum Edition

Discord: TDRR#5820
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Re: Universal Possession - v1.2 (14/09/2021)

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Buhhh suppose you counted possession projectiles to disappear when going to a skybox, right? Because I see it can pretty much break pretty easily upon aiming where a skybox is at for the rest of the level.

Edit: Now for some reason in this version after being cautious of the bug I encountered after more testing, I also get stuck in place where I stand if I where to kill the possessed monster or it dies.
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods