Universal Possession - v1.3 (30/09/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Universal Possession - v1.3 (30/09/2021)

Postby TDRR » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Been sitting on this for while, thought it'd be a good idea to release it after polishing it a bit.

Download!

So what's Universal Possession? Well, as the name implies, it's like one of those possession mods where you can play as a monster... the fun thing about this one, though, is that it works with any mod, any IWAD, and any monster (except maybe some advanced ZScript ones?)! Yes, that includes even Brutal Doom, which is enough sign that it should work with practically anything you throw at it :p
You have a new key that can throw the possession projectile at an enemy, you take control of whatever monster it hits!

To make it not horribly overpowered, you can set a specific amount of kills required to use the projectile with the up_requiredkills CVAR. Setting this to 0 disables the mod, setting it to a negative number instead gives you infinite times to use the projectile, but setting it to any positive numbers sets the kill requirement to charge the projectile. So if this is set to 20 (the default), you'll need 20 kills to be able to use the projectile again.

If the third person camera isn't your fancy either, you can change it with the up_thirdperson CVAR. If set to 0, you go into first person mode when possessing. Obviously you can't see your monster's hands, though. The default is 1, which instead uses a chasecam.

Obligatory features list:
-Works on Zandronum! (duh)
-Possess any monster you want!
-Works online (mostly)
-Even DEHACKED mods work
-Full controller support, too

Spoiler: Changelog

Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by TDRR on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TDRR
Zandronum Edition

Discord: TDRR#5820
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Universal Possession - v1.0

Postby m8f » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 pm

That's impressive! Good job.
m8f
dreamer

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:39 pm

I always been looking for a mod like this to be honest... At least where you can use the monster's abilities any way possible is good enough for me. And this fits it for what their is right now!
I took it for a spun on some random WADs besides Doom like Strife, and even wanted to see what possibly breaks to modern Doom stuff like Reelism (I seen they all got controlled at the same time, and left some apparitions after pressing use heh).

The results are neat trying it so far for fun, although a couple things that would be useful is maybe being able to maybe jump for some monsters since they can get stuck in some areas, at least being unable to open doors (since pressing use kills them, I kill them by accident doing so the first few times. Oof) and some areas that a player can only go through since the NPC being controlled is somehow just a liiiitle too tall or fat or of the two through them, like in the Prison when I tried on an Acolyte near the ID door. I may not expect jumping to work, but something to get them out to not accidentally put them in a point of no return by a bad mistake.

Oh and one little thing, I notice you can get charge points by destroying/killing things like barrels, tables, potted plants, and other things I tried with mods and intentionally breakable stuffs. The controlled do not target them themselves, I wanted to see if you know that little detail though.
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am

This is incredible, I... I can possess.. Benellus. : O

Oh my god.
Spaceman333

Postby Carrotear » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:30 pm

It seems that whenever I possess a monster they'll have an aneurysm and will attack when they feel like it.
Carrotear
My arm hurts

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Re: Universal Possession - v1.1 (11/09/2021)

Postby TDRR » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Updated! Now to address some of your comments...

m8f wrote:That's impressive! Good job.

Thank you! Means a lot to me.

Starman the Blaziken wrote:I always been looking for a mod like this to be honest... At least where you can use the monster's abilities any way possible is good enough for me. And this fits it for what their is right now!
I took it for a spun on some random WADs besides Doom like Strife, and even wanted to see what possibly breaks to modern Doom stuff like Reelism (I seen they all got controlled at the same time, and left some apparitions after pressing use heh).

That probably was because all monsters had the same TID. This conflict has been fixed in 1.1, and also fixes Supreme Invasion. About the apparitions... not sure what you mean.

Starman the Blaziken wrote:The results are neat trying it so far for fun, although a couple things that would be useful is maybe being able to maybe jump for some monsters since they can get stuck in some areas, at least being unable to open doors (since pressing use kills them, I kill them by accident doing so the first few times. Oof) and some areas that a player can only go through since the NPC being controlled is somehow just a liiiitle too tall or fat or of the two through them, like in the Prison when I tried on an Acolyte near the ID door. I may not expect jumping to work, but something to get them out to not accidentally put them in a point of no return by a bad mistake.

Jumping has been added in 1.1. However, opening doors is something I can't add, unfortunately (there's one possible method, but it's very unreliable and performance draining). And yeah, some places you just can't go through with a monster, that's a bit of a limitation that can't really be helped much with Zandronum compatibility.

Starman the Blaziken wrote:Oh and one little thing, I notice you can get charge points by destroying/killing things like barrels, tables, potted plants, and other things I tried with mods and intentionally breakable stuffs. The controlled do not target them themselves, I wanted to see if you know that little detail though.

Corrected in 1.1. Unless some mods give the ISMONSTER flag to those objects, then it may still happen :p
Glad you've mostly enjoyed it so far, and I hope the additions help for now.

Carrotear wrote:It seems that whenever I possess a monster they'll have an aneurysm and will attack when they feel like it.

Does it happen very often? That happens to me too, but it's rare, like once when you first possess them. I'm not sure what could be done there, the target is cleared every 2 frames.
TDRR
Zandronum Edition

Discord: TDRR#5820

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Yeah when I tried it with Zandronum, I immediately figured their would be a drawback to be unable to open doors, and possibly other little things I have noticed with mods that might not be able to be done much with.
I am actually quite a curious cat to try this with many mods, ones that are more complicated or not and see what the mods do because I have some fun using it ether way.

One thing thing I remembered, well... Think you might want to put Chex Quest on your list of stuff that might not work since in that Flemoids are unable to deal damage to each other, friendly or not (Something to say like Complex Doom addons with the Legendries unable to hurt each other, although it is round down to types and not all of them). Unless their can be a plausible compromise where any damage from a possessed can hurt an enemy.
Starman the Blaziken

Postby Carrotear » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am

TDRR wrote:Does it happen very often? That happens to me too, but it's rare, like once when you first possess them. I'm not sure what could be done there, the target is cleared every 2 frames.

For me it happens alot. The possessed enemy will spaz out and I when I attack they either spaz out more or actually attack. I'm launching the mod itself with nothing else.
Carrotear
My arm hurts

Postby lizardcommando » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 am

Very neat mod! It seems to work with my old Lizard Squad mod. It would be nice to be able to tell how many kills you need in order to start possessing enemies (unless there was already a way to see that amount, which I have not figured out).
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby Artman2004 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 am

Nice mod, very fun to play with. However, the possessed enemies will only trigger their attacks when they are looking at other enemies. Is there any way to fix this?
Artman2004

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm

lizardcommando wrote:Very neat mod! It seems to work with my old Lizard Squad mod. It would be nice to be able to tell how many kills you need in order to start possessing enemies (unless there was already a way to see that amount, which I have not figured out).

Yeah same here.

Also since I came on to play some more of the mod from Doom Barracks Zone X along with a couple mods. I seen that I actually can spam a possess charge at a distance and it can hit multiple enemies to let me control them all in sync with one having the camera behind them. It is pretty funny to watch multiple knights and a cyber possessed, but I am sure that should be patched since I can only view one of them.

I also also came by a thing while in one of the mods being Corruption Cards with enemies spawning with little itty bippy sized pets that I can actually res as a possessed Archvile and sometimes corpses on a different elevation or something. I dunno if it is a bit rusty or some balancing thing that keeps it from doing it normally, but I would sure love to do it more.
Starman the Blaziken

Postby Caleb377 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Awesome! It worked with every mod I tried.
Caleb377

Postby TheNightATK300 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:19 pm

I cannot seem to throw the possession projectile? It's odd that I tried to press the key that throws the projectile, but it did not do anything.
TheNightATK300
Teh person.

Discord: XSlayer300#2323

Postby Carrotear » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:33 am

TheNightATK300 wrote:I cannot seem to throw the possession projectile? It's odd that I tried to press the key that throws the projectile, but it did not do anything.

By the default you need to kill 20 monsters first.
Carrotear
My arm hurts

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 am

This mod puts a smile on my face. Not because of what it offers for gameplay, just the way it was done. When I read this post I was certain it would involve some zscript shenanigans, but it's actually a very clever use of DECORATE, ACS and knowhow of (Z)Doom's mechanics. Zandronum modding is full of stuff like this, love to see it (even if I curse working in that engine sometimes). Good job :)
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods