skills.wad

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

skills.wad

Postby yum13241 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:22 am

Have you ever found DooM way too easy, or way too hard, or simply want more difficulties?

Then skills.wad is for you!

Summon Hell's true form with the "Hellish!" difficulty! Or maybe you fear death, so play on the "I... I FEAR DEATH!!!!!" difficulty. Or maybe you want UV+, in a premade package, just for you. You wanna settle some scores? Then try the "Die, Doomguy, Die!" difficulty. Want some chaos? Try the "Chaos WILL ensue!" difficulty! or maybe you want Ultra NIGHTMARE! (which really isn't close to the actual "Ultra NIGHTMARE!"), but hey, gotta be creative. I bet you are itching to try this mod. If you are, download now at https://mega.nz/file/nIxUBKDS#Z8FZNjqk5 ... h9RRGxMMog.

Where are the screenshots you ask?

The zip is like 3KB, that's less than one screenshot lol, so if you wanna see this mod, just download it.

Also, cheats have been enabled for ALL skills, so consider this as one bit of mercy bestowed upon you.

Also, please let me know whether Chaos WILL Ensue or Hellish! is harder.
Last edited by yum13241 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yum13241

Discord: yum13241#8226
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: skills.wad

Postby Spaceman333 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:03 pm

What are the descriptions of each difficulty?

It kinda sounds like these might just be arbitrarily stacked against the player with respawning monsters, damage handicaps and crazy speeds - leading to more frustrating gameplay that feels artificial and forced.
Spaceman333

Postby yum13241 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 pm

Spaceman333 wrote:What are the descriptions of each difficulty?

It kinda sounds like these might just be arbitrarily stacked against the player with respawning monsters, damage handicaps and crazy speeds - leading to more frustrating gameplay that feels artificial and forced.

The spoilers contain the skill definitions.
TL:DR: The descriptions are in the MustConfirm message. Alternatively, open up the mod with SLADE3.

I fear death: Ideal if a 4 year old wants to play badly or you suck at doom that badly.

Ultra NIGHTMARE:
Spoiler:

Hellish:
Spoiler:

Chaos WILL ensue:
Spoiler:

UV+:
Spoiler:

Die, Doomguy, Die!: A ZDoom equivalent to the "Heaven or Hell" difficulty from the Devil May Cry series or the "Instant Kill" difficulty in Way of the Samurai 3. Everyone dies in one hit from anything. As a side effect, any actor that can gib will gib. Including the player, who gets knocked back very far if s/he is hit by an attack. (Credit to ZDoom wiki: https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Skill_definition )
Spoiler:
yum13241

Postby Spaceman333 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks, these do have a bit of purpose/theming behind them and I appreciate them explaining themselves during confirm.
Only Hellish is vague out of the bunch (without looking up the info on the above post), but the rest are fairly clear more or less.
Spaceman333

Postby yum13241 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:04 am

Spaceman333 wrote:Thanks, these do have a bit of purpose/theming behind them and I appreciate them explaining themselves during confirm.
Only Hellish is vague out of the bunch (without looking up the info on the above post), but the rest are fairly clear more or less.

Thanks for the feedback. Also, if you played the mod, I need to know whether Hellish or Chaos WILL Ensue is harder.

Also, what themes/purpose are you exactly envisioning?
I'm not pressuring you into answering, in fact, if you don't want to answer, fine. I just want to know so I can make the mod better. #VoiceOfTheConsumer
yum13241

Postby Spaceman333 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pm

yum13241 wrote:Also, if you played the mod, I need to know whether Hellish or Chaos WILL Ensue is harder.

I'm not pressuring you into answering, in fact, if you don't want to answer, fine. I just want to know so I can make the mod better. #VoiceOfTheConsumer

Its very safe to say that Hellish or Chaos Will Ensue are harder for sure.

--

About themes, I like to think of difficulty modes more as a selection of different experiences that emphasize a specific type of experience, but still keep everything coherent and standardized - so that they don't feel unnatural, arbitrary or forced to be something for the sake of being something.

I boot up Doom, start a game and then I'm at the difficulty selection. There, I'm presented with a choice:
  • Do I go for a regular game (UV) or something that differs from it?
  • If I want to differ from it, then how and for what purpose?
Maybe I have a specific mapset that focuses on close range combat or long range combat.
Maybe the map I play has only a few minimal tactically placed monsters or massive armies that saturate the level.
Maybe I have a monster pack installed that by itself already alters the difficulty quite a lot.
Maybe I have more powerful or weaker weapons mod installed compared to vanilla.
Maybe I have a minimod/mutator or another extra addon that alters the difficulty on its own.
Maybe my goal in the game is to eradicate every single demon on the map or maybe it is to simply rush to the exit.

• From there, I'd be wondering if I want to select a difficulty mode that is derivate of UV - because I consider it the "standard, normal, true way to play doom1/2" , but either easier or harder, depending on the above factors and questions.
  • From here, the difficulty modes could focus on two categories of play - "Kill All Monsters" or "Rush To Exit". Former would be based of UV, while the latter is based off of Nightmare (or UV + respawning monsters).
  • Then I'd have several options that give me harder alternatives of do I want those monsters to be just regular or fast/aggressive or doubled health or both.
  • I can also have easier alternatives that use the UV spawn filter and provide things like total infighting, slower monsters, double ammo, reduced damage taken, and halved/reduced enemy health.
  • Then there could be more exotic difficulty options for both categories that do something crazy like reduce health/armor/ammo pickups and make monsters more tanky - but will always also balance it out by providing a benefit to the player by making them also slower to react/move/attack or reducing the damage taken by player by half. This way it still feels natural, fair and meaningful, as opposed to only piling up more and more unfair traits that make the playthrough feels artificial and non standardized/fake-ish.

I'd personally avoid changing player damage output lower or highter - so that weapons always feel like they work properly, meanwhile buffing enemy health feels more acceptable since they're organic/cyborg that may have elements that make it more believable for them to have this bonus in a difficulty mode.
I would also avoid changing enemy damage output upwards too, instead only changing player damage taken as it feels more like I'm choosing to wear stronger or weaker armor into battle as opposed to feeling like enemies just cranking up their weapons artificially. Reducing enemy damage is fine though.

As for ideas for themes, here are some ideas - all derivative from UV spawn filter:
- slow tanky enemies
- fast weak enemies
- quickly respawning, but 75% weaker enemies
- slowly respawning but they don't infight
- low ammo, 150% enemy health
- lots of ammo and reduced damage taken, but enemies are super fast and aggressive
- tanky enemies but they're stupid and will infight totally
- regular enemies but they never infight
- health pickups reduced to vials, but enemies do enemies greatly reduced damage
- any mix of any of the above or anything else - as long as its a clear theme that is distinct from regular UV play, but still fair even if its objectively harder than normal UV difficulty overall.

In the past, I already made a basic version of a difficulty mod that does the above, but it could be expanded with more options to also cover respawning enemies to support the "Rush To Exit" centric play modes.
Spaceman333

Postby yum13241 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:54 am

Spaceman333 wrote:
yum13241 wrote:Also, if you played the mod, I need to know whether Hellish or Chaos WILL Ensue is harder.

Its very safe to say that Hellish or Chaos Will Ensue are harder for sure.

--

About themes, I like to think of difficulty modes more as a selection of different experiences that emphasize a specific type of experience, but still keep everything coherent and standardized - so that they don't feel unnatural, arbitrary or forced to be something for the sake of being something.

I boot up Doom, start a game and then I'm at the difficulty selection. There, I'm presented with a choice:
  • Do I go for a regular game (UV) or something that differs from it?
  • If I want to differ from it, then how and for what purpose?
Maybe I have a specific mapset that focuses on close range combat or long range combat.
Maybe the map I play has only a few minimal tactically placed monsters or massive armies that saturate the level.
Maybe I have a monster pack installed that by itself already alters the difficulty quite a lot.
Maybe I have more powerful or weaker weapons mod installed compared to vanilla.
Maybe I have a minimod/mutator or another extra addon that alters the difficulty on its own.
Maybe my goal in the game is to eradicate every single demon on the map or maybe it is to simply rush to the exit.

• From there, I'd be wondering if I want to select a difficulty mode that is derivate of UV - because I consider it the "standard, normal, true way to play doom1/2" , but either easier or harder, depending on the above factors and questions.
  • From here, the difficulty modes could focus on two categories of play - "Kill All Monsters" or "Rush To Exit". Former would be based of UV, while the latter is based off of Nightmare (or UV + respawning monsters).
  • Then I'd have several options that give me harder alternatives of do I want those monsters to be just regular or fast/aggressive or doubled health or both.
  • I can also have easier alternatives that use the UV spawn filter and provide things like total infighting, slower monsters, double ammo, reduced damage taken, and halved/reduced enemy health.
  • Then there could be more exotic difficulty options for both categories that do something crazy like reduce health/armor/ammo pickups and make monsters more tanky - but will always also balance it out by providing a benefit to the player by making them also slower to react/move/attack or reducing the damage taken by player by half. This way it still feels natural, fair and meaningful, as opposed to only piling up more and more unfair traits that make the playthrough feels artificial and non standardized/fake-ish.

I'd personally avoid changing player damage output lower or highter - so that weapons always feel like they work properly, meanwhile buffing enemy health feels more acceptable since they're organic/cyborg that may have elements that make it more believable for them to have this bonus in a difficulty mode.
I would also avoid changing enemy damage output upwards too, instead only changing player damage taken as it feels more like I'm choosing to wear stronger or weaker armor into battle as opposed to feeling like enemies just cranking up their weapons artificially. Reducing enemy damage is fine though.

As for ideas for themes, here are some ideas - all derivative from UV spawn filter:
- slow tanky enemies
- fast weak enemies
- quickly respawning, but 75% weaker enemies
- slowly respawning but they don't infight
- low ammo, 150% enemy health
- lots of ammo and reduced damage taken, but enemies are super fast and aggressive
- tanky enemies but they're stupid and will infight totally
- regular enemies but they never infight
- health pickups reduced to vials, but enemies do enemies greatly reduced damage
- any mix of any of the above or anything else - as long as its a clear theme that is distinct from regular UV play, but still fair even if its objectively harder than normal UV difficulty overall.

In the past, I already made a basic version of a difficulty mod that does the above, but it could be expanded with more options to also cover respawning enemies to support the "Rush To Exit" centric play modes.

For the first part, I meant for you to compare them to each other. For the second part, if I ever make a sequel, I'll keep this in mind.
yum13241

Postby Spaceman333 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 pm

Oh, Chaos WILL Ensue is far harder due to damage factor and respawning enemies.
Spaceman333

Postby yum13241 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:52 pm

Spaceman333 wrote:Oh, Chaos WILL Ensue is far harder due to damage factor and respawning enemies.

I guess it lives up to it's name ;)
yum13241

Postby XASSASSINX » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:48 pm

Oh, this is a trhowback to my first mod that i've posted here. Anyway, if you wanna make another fun one, you can replace the monsters with the stealth variations, also, you can make the text invisible, to make it a secret difficulty AND you can change the text colors. (Albeit, i think you've done that already.)
XASSASSINX

Postby yum13241 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:03 am

XASSASSINX wrote:Oh, this is a trhowback to my first mod that i've posted here. Anyway, if you wanna make another fun one, you can replace the monsters with the stealth variations, also, you can make the text invisible, to make it a secret difficulty AND you can change the text colors. (Albeit, i think you've done that already.)

So, was it fun?
yum13241

Postby XASSASSINX » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:07 am

Well, your mod? I didn't actually play it, i just saw the code. It seems fun, albeit my skill of doom is Ultra-Violence monsters with slightly reduced damage, but ultra violence is fine on it's own.
XASSASSINX

Postby yum13241 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 pm

XASSASSINX wrote:Well, your mod? I didn't actually play it, i just saw the code. It seems fun, albeit my skill of doom is Ultra-Violence monsters with slightly reduced damage, but ultra violence is fine on it's own.

Oh, ok.
yum13241

Return to Gameplay Mods