[RELEASE] Painslayer 0.9.1: A Painkiller-themed weapon mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [RELEASE] Painslayer 0.9.0: A Painkiller-themed weapon m

Postby Death_Ripper666 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 am

I love this weapons mod alot! I can't seem to stop playing it with different mapsets and monsters which makes thing alot fun. Keep up the great work you doing there! Looking forward for Painslayer to reach 1.0.0! :D
Death_Ripper666

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Chairkicker » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Great work on the mod, it's my favorite weapon mod for doom I've found so far.

That said, the mod seems to suffer from a bug that causes saves to often fail. The precise behavior of this is mysterious, but it always produces the same error upon trying to save:

Attempt to save pointer to unhandled type NativeStruct<Secplane>

There have been levels where whole swaths of the level can't be saved in and I have to move to another area to save. It occurs under several conditions but the most reliable reproduction I have is thus:
1) spawn in any map and acquire/cheat in a stakegun
2) find an enemy and pin them to the wall with the stakegun
3) try to save, observe error

Google search has yielded no results for this error but I can experience it every time, even on a completely fresh gzdoom 4.6 install. Good luck finding it, and thanks in advance.
Chairkicker

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Chairkicker wrote:Great work on the mod, it's my favorite weapon mod for doom I've found so far.

That said, the mod seems to suffer from a bug that causes saves to often fail. The precise behavior of this is mysterious, but it always produces the same error upon trying to save:

Attempt to save pointer to unhandled type NativeStruct<Secplane>

Looking into it, thanks for reporting.

UPD: I've found the culprit and fixed it; I've not made a new release yet, though, but you can download the freshest dev build from the repository (see first post for a link and explanation on how to use it).
Jekyll Grim Payne

Discord: Agent_Ash#4401
Github ID: jekyllgrim

Re: [RELEASE] Painslayer 0.9.1: A Painkiller-themed weapon m

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Painslayer 0.9.1 released
Download: https://github.com/jekyllgrim/Painslaye ... /tag/0.9.1

FIXED
  • Fixed a critical bug that blocked saving if there were stakes/bolts/shurikens in the world that were stuck in double-sided walls or 3D floors.
  • Fixed Steps of Thunder card damaging the bearer
  • Fixed Main Menu items being positioned incorrectly at some resolutions
  • Fixed monster compass arrow being incorrectly scaled/positioned at some resolutions (again)
  • Fixed Electro lightning not hitting non-monster shootable objects (such as explosive barrels) and not stopping at solid objects
  • Fixed Electro lightning attacking dead bodies
  • Fixed souls' dynamic lights being incorrectly colored

ADDED
  • Added "Switch Rocket Launcher/Minigun fire modes" to Mod Settings. If enabled, the Rocket Launcher/Minigun's fire modes will be switched: the primary attack will fire Minigun, while the secondary attack will fire rockets. While RL/Minigun is the classic Painkiller order, it can be confusing and counter-intuitive.

CHANGED/IMPROVED
  • Active Golden Card icons will now be drawn relative to the bottom of the screen, which should prevent them from appearing too close to the center of the screen at some resolutions
  • Fullscreen Main Menu background will no longer be drawn if the menu is opened while playing a map
  • Fullscreen Main Menu will not have gaps at some resolutions
  • Dexterity card will no longer make player grunts high-pitched
  • Slightly improved the recoil animation for Pain/Killer when the blades return
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Discord: Agent_Ash#4401
Github ID: jekyllgrim

Postby Chairkicker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:35 am

Problem fixed, well done. Your promptness is impressive.
Chairkicker

Postby Blackgrowl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:33 am

All I can say is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0

Nah, I have more to say actually.
I always had this idea of making a Painkiller weapon wad, but I had zero motivation and knowledge of how to, so I'm glad somebody else had the same idea and did it.
The "Sprites" is what I was hoping for, not a direct port of Painkiller 3D Model weapons into Doom, so, amazing job!

Only question I got right now is, will there be plans to add sprite versions of Painkiller monsters later on? I mean, I wouldn't even mind if they were 3D Models either.
Though knowing how Doom works, gonna be hard to deal with the vast variety that Painkiller itself has.

Keep up the good work either way.
Blackgrowl

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods