[WIP][Hexen] WERLBA Weapon Mod [v 0.45]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP][Hexen] WERLBA Weapon Mod [v 0.45]

Postby alexsa2015sa » Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 am

This is a weapon mod for Hexen written in Zscript (as such GZDoom only). So far two of the classes are done, plus some adjustments to inventory; only Cleric remains to be messed up rewritten; it is, however, completely playable (random crashes aside if I managed to miss some obscure check or undefined behaviour)

I like a lot of things about Hexen, but weapon variety isn't one of them (only Heretic is worse about it, and yes I hoard tomes greedily why would you ask?). I am yet to see a weapon mod which solves the issues I perceive in a way I like. That said, I am open to suggestions if you don't like something and I happen to agree but have forgotten about wanting to do something about it (which happens all the time even with my extensive logs... probably because of these to be honest)

In the first release, I had a completely reworked weapon lineup for Mage. A brief description of changes to Mage weapons:
- All six weapons have a main and altfire modes, often with melee option too. Slot 2 and slot 3 now have two alternate weapons drawing on same mana.
- Violet Staff is a new slot 1 weapon. It has capped range and its projectiles are slow, so no boring wand sniping.
- Sapphire wand is a Slot 2 weapon. Do tell me what you think on its current state, since I already have an opinion and it needs to be challenged somehow.
- Frost Shards melee is faster and can shatter statues to recover mana spent; ranged cone is tighter and stronger, but still worse than touch.
- Frost shards alternate raises ice pillars which will harm monsters on touch or explode into projectile shards when shot.
- Arc of Death now costs 7 mana. Once I figured out how to chain lightning, why not, really, it does a lot of damage.
- Arc of death alternate hurls ball lightning which will keep bouncing as long as it does damage, until it runs out of it.
- Hexfires are a new slot 3 weapon. Throws bouncing gravity-affected explosive fireballs.
- Hexfires alternate launches a homing fireball trail which keeps up chase the longer you hold aim on target.
- Bloodscourge releases a murderous flaming scourge which pulls you along for the ride. You can try correcting the stream vaguely in the direction you aim. Do try to avoid walls, or else. When scourge breaks up links work as expected, to an extent.
- Bloodscourge alternate launches a compressed scourge bomb which explodes blissfully away from you. It is less powerful (on paper), but safer.
- Flechette is unchanged. It will need a bit of effort to change execution to be interesting and useable, and I tend to hoard things enough as it is.

Planned is a similar rework to Cleric weapons. Among other possible ideas is an expansion to 3 weapons per mana slot; unlikely given I am already low on ideas anyhow without making redundant weapons, but you never know.

Download link
VERSION 0.45:
https://mega.nz/file/4vpiBT7R#nvI2bx4afwEaFtgqtp9KRhlZEu_pY_5x8lLbMhawqrE
Old versions:
Spoiler:
Last edited by alexsa2015sa on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexsa2015sa

Re: [WIP][Hexen] WERLBA Weapon Mod [v 0.41]

Postby alexsa2015sa » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:31 pm

VERSION 0.41: https://mega.nz/file/R7JxVYQY#BkMX5xEn15BJVWzn2kL04kXk2jp0n1g7ZOq26PqpPww

An update with Fighter class implemented.

- Fists: range cut down, speed bonus to damage, altfire - charge attack. Get close and personal or ettin takes four punches to kill.
- Axe: range cut down, multiple targets if enough damage to kill, altfire - 15 mana for a bouncing ripping axe missile which recovers some unspent damage as mana. Not much changed here, really.
- Shield: can reflect projectiles and block damage from angle, can only be used with main fist/axe/hammer or altfire spear. Spends mana to reflect and to punch with shield (given its protection makes punching even a skill 5 Chaos Serpent very safe). Reload button tap cycles shield alignment, Reload held cycles main hand weapon. Note: when selected, the shield is always there even if you only see the main hand weapon.
- Hammer: melee range cut down, projectile cost 4 mana, gravity affected, splash range and splash damage cut down, missile impact damage less random, reduced boss damage, altfire - zigzag maulotaur trails for 18 mana.
- Spear: stab for 4 mana, punching if range too short, altfire - ripping throw for 5 mana with small splash on stop.
- Quietus: useable with no mana for melee, lots of melee damage spread across arc for 7 mana, classic fivespread for 12 mana if no melee target, reduced boss damage, placeholder altfire.
- General: Invulnerability increases melee damage, even Quietus. Forward running speed is cut down to 1.0. Strafing speeds are adjusted so it is not changed whether you run or walk, but still worse than original Hexen.
- Mage change: Sapphire Wand damage on first target increased, letting it actually work as Hub 1 weapon instead of a useless popsicle with mana cost.

As you can see from changes, I sort of believe Fighter's combat to be too easy overall and too good with range in particular. It still is, since shield is such an absolute protection despite being 30hp durable and costing you mana; even with a vulnerability window you can approach most lone Skill 5 monsters with confidence, and in many ways Shield is a better weapon for a relaxing Seven Portals stroll.
alexsa2015sa

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Could you provide some screenshots? Hexen mods need some love.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby 64palm » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:19 pm

provide some screenshoot for more proof
64palm

Discord: Zandatsu#2138
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP][Hexen] WERLBA Weapon Mod [v 0.43]

Postby alexsa2015sa » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Could you provide some screenshots? Hexen mods need some love.

64palm wrote:provide some screenshoot for more proof

"Screen... shots? But that is too violent!"
Spoiler:

Puns aside, this took way way longer than it deserved, from my point of view, since I do not look at screenshots ("ever" is a stretch, but as a rule I ignore them if I can see the code or just live test). It wasn't even fun; in hindsight I should have wrtten a script to automatically take screenshots rather than try doing so manually.

Changelog for v 0.43:

- Added missing Nash credit for Fighter widescreen sprites use which I forgot about. Todo : fix all widescreen sprites (including gzdoom-bundled), because that is one seriously magical gauntlet mimic you have there... No wonder it kills an ettin in three hits :)
- Fixed Hexfires and Bloodscourge autofire, proving the old wisdom of "Never release last-minute fixes without testing".
- Tweaked Hexfire to deal more damage to make up for being incredibly more awkward than Arc of Death at any but maximal ranges.
- Arc of Death altfire now should expire if flying across distances.
- Arc of Death main now deals a +3 more damage with zaps. Probably both modes need more tuning.
- Fighter's Shield unscrewed up (did not need mana to bash, and always turned fist attack enhanced; none of the numerous pre-release bugs restored in the process thankfully)

Download link
version 0.43 https://mega.nz/file/5nx2CaRY#51tbIf79AOzhi_o-JSDSZH-RF8bwci2v1iAx2LF1hQ0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alexsa2015sa

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:19 pm

I actually only requested them because this is a rule of the forums (that you should provide some screenies or footage at all, so players don't blind-click it), but thanks for your quick response.

I won't be able to test it now, but i've downloaded this and i'll try to come back with feedback whenever possible. ;)
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby mofumofu » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:57 pm

This is really cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! I haven't actually tried it yet; I'll come back with some feedback when I do.

Well, I didn't get very far due to a bug (?) in ERLBA (see that thread), but here's my feedback on werlba so far!
-The violet (amethyst?) wand alt-fire seems much more useful than the primary fire! I don't really understand it though. Sometimes it seems to do a LOT more damage than others?
-Firing it slowing the mage's already poor movement speed is frustrating.
-Slow projectiles on the primary fire make it very difficult to use on afrits, which are common in the mage's campaign...
mofumofu

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP][Hexen] WERLBA Weapon Mod [v 0.45]

Postby alexsa2015sa » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 pm

In this update: shield fixes, first general inventory changes, shield fixes, Mage revisions, and Fighter fixes... like inability to make a Quietus, of all things. In the process of bugfixing shield was improved a lot; still nowhere good enough for open spaces, but it is amazing how it saves on health loss.
As can be seen from changelog, shield was really, really buggy... hopefully, in the past tense. Also, I've actually completed a Fighter skill 5 playthrough with ERLBA and uh... being melee sucks when everything wants a piece of you and there is nowhere to run. Even Quietus doesn't help when every 'melee' variant is designed to corner you in two seconds flat. Couldn't even actually finish off Korax, since Icons worn off and the damage on Quietus ranged is pitiful for mana cost. Worst of all were summoned monsters, since they all bite at this point,

mofumofu wrote:This is really cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! I haven't actually tried it yet; I'll come back with some feedback when I do.

Well, I didn't get very far due to a bug (?) in ERLBA (see that thread), but here's my feedback on werlba so far!
-The violet (amethyst?) wand alt-fire seems much more useful than the primary fire! I don't really understand it though. Sometimes it seems to do a LOT more damage than others?
-Firing it slowing the mage's already poor movement speed is frustrating.
-Slow projectiles on the primary fire make it very difficult to use on afrits, which are common in the mage's campaign...

On mage weapon 1: the damage between modes should be more equal now, though altfire probably still wins. Randomness can happen due to shots missing (altfire can't hit anything at range without luck) or monsters dying too fast; actual damage total on single target is almost fixed in 110-127 range or thereabouts. Each small spark deals 9-11 damage.
Slowdown and slow projectile speeds are intentional and still the weapon is much better than Fighter or Cleric weapons. Sapphire wand is just even better by comparison. You don't need much speed against normal Hexen enemies anyways, and by the point it truly might be a problem, you should have better options.
Detailed changelog for 0.45:
Spoiler:

Download link v 0.45:
https://mega.nz/file/4vpiBT7R#nvI2bx4afwEaFtgqtp9KRhlZEu_pY_5x8lLbMhawqrE
alexsa2015sa

Return to Gameplay Mods