Intelligent Supplies 1.6

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Intelligent Supplies 1.6

Post by Zhs2 »

Welcome to... Intelligent Supplies! Version 1.6!

Logo credits go to Pillowblaster.

Download here!
and/or read on and acquire more intelligence!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: Disclaimer: Screenshots taken from development process. The real mod messages are prettier! Somewhat!
I like to think of it as the spiritual successor to amv2k9's Smart Scavenger.
Not to stomp on zrrion's Thrifty Ammo, either...

This is a minimod I wrote in memoriam of all of the various Doom (or Heretic, or Hexen, or Strife) ammo that has been lost to the ether when players of game sessions the world over collected a pickup that was bigger than their inventory could actually hold. It's a (small) revolution (for collectors and hoarders who have ever been annoyed by this). It says, well Doom, what do you have to say about those 48 out of 50 bullets that magically vanished from a bullet box now?

Goes well with Target Spy for seeing remaining amounts (in all but weapons)!

Features:
Spoiler: Features
Known Caveats:
Spoiler: Known Caveats
Last edited by Zhs2 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Zhs2

Re: Intelligent Supplies

Post by Zhs2 »

Bump. If you're one of the first number of people who downloaded this, redownload again for a small but critical fix. The item that manages base types is now not allowed to be removed from the game by crusher, which caused the managed items to become completely unresponsive. Whoops!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Trying to download the mod because it looks promising, but the link doesn't work at all. And Screenshots are never shown. Opening screenies in a new tab works, but not the download link. Is my Chrome wrong? Or is this because of AdBlock or McAfee?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Seems like this whole thing has become quite popular. No item shall be wasted!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

The screenshots aren't working for me either.
Mnemnon

Post by Mnemnon »

Captain J wrote:Trying to download the mod because it looks promising, but the link doesn't work at all. And Screenshots are never shown. Opening screenies in a new tab works, but not the download link. Is my Chrome wrong? Or is this because of AdBlock or McAfee?
Yeap, doesn't work for me either.
Kneight

Post by Kneight »

I managed to get the download working by copying the address and removing the last bit.
Even before the crusher update, this worked flawlessly for me. I recommend it!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

With last bit you mean the file type?

And what's that crusher update you mentioned?
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

Isn't "Open link in new tab" a well-known solution for downloading things in chrome?

On topic, I wanted to look at the mod but the latest LZDoom and GZDoom 4.4.1 refused to work with it. Will revisit it later.
Kneight

Post by Kneight »

StroggVorbis wrote:With last bit you mean the file type?

And what's that crusher update you mentioned?
Yeah remove "Zhs2-IS-1.0.pk3" from the address, go there and it'll give you a list that says "Index of IS". Download the pk3 file there.

And about the crusher update, it's what Zhs2 mentioned about crushers doing bad stuff to items but it's been fixed. (I should have said "FIX" not "update", sorry)
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Captain J wrote:Trying to download the mod because it looks promising, but the link doesn't work at all. And Screenshots are never shown. Opening screenies in a new tab works, but not the download link. Is my Chrome wrong? Or is this because of AdBlock or McAfee?
StroggVorbis wrote:The screenshots aren't working for me either.
Mnemnon wrote:Yeap, doesn't work for me either.
Hrmm, bizarre. This is the first time ever I'm posting my own mod, so I'm not surprised I might also have to debug my hosting solution of all things. I've changed the folder name it is downloaded from in the case Chrome doesn't like hidden web folders (the Linux standard of putting a . at the beginning of the folder name), and added an alternative download link to the first post in case that doesn't work out. The alternative link is on Dropbox however and I realize that it might burn out if too many people use it even though this mod is tiny, so if you must use it, use it quick. Either way, I hope you finally receive and enjoy the mod!
dmslr wrote:On topic, I wanted to look at the mod but the latest LZDoom and GZDoom 4.4.1 refused to work with it. Will revisit it later.
Also hrmm. I set the ZScript version string to "3.7" in the hopes that LZDoom would accept it but I haven't checked to see if it will run in that. Will investigate shortly.
Edit: Well, that bites. Maybe the next release of LZDoom will do what GZDoom 4.5.0 does, but for now I'm reluctant to remove the extension from OptionsMenuSimple from the mod proper solely for the options visibility it provides. If you would like to open up this mod in LZDoom, crack open the mod and remove this section at the bottom of MENUDEF:

Code: Select all

// Simple options menu, for visibility
AddOptionMenu OptionsMenuSimple
{
	SubMenu "Intelligent Supplies Options", "zhs2_is_options"
}
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

In the meantime i downloaded it and played it for a while. Very efficient and cool addon to the ammo/health reserving! I always play Doom and other FPS games by spending all ammo from the weapon so i can try pick up the entire ammo items scattered around the map. Wanted to make the ammo potent, you know?

It's good and all, but my feedback would be this: What about Berserk and Megasphere? They both are still obtainable at full health and armor unlike Soul's. And i can see the Green Armor recolored when almost out of armor points, but not the Blue one for some reason.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Captain J wrote:It's good and all, but my feedback would be this: What about Berserk and Megasphere? They both are still obtainable at full health and armor unlike Soul's.
See the "Known Caveats" spoiler in the first post. Reading action functions from Actor states (particularly CustomInventory Pickup states, like Berserk and Megasphere use) is not an exposed function in the ZScript VM, and writing a custom parser to figure out exactly what a CustomInventory item does is more work than I feel inclined to put into this project. If I were to handle these items in any way, it'd be to include a menu toggle for AutoActivate CustomInventory and let the player's intelligence determine whether the item should be picked up, such as with the currently existing Use key toggle-back-to-vanilla-behavior functionality. I'll think about that once I'm sure I have client CVar reading working in multiplayer.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

great idea, unfortunately it doesn't work with Heretical Doom due to how I have the mana trap and class checkers using the custominventory pickup state, as mentioned. Since I'm converting the mod over to zscript (almost) entirely for the next version, I'll see if I can come up with something different to help compatibility :)
Zhs2

Re: Intelligent Supplies 1.1

Post by Zhs2 »

Bump again. Today was a busy day for this mod, but now I can finally call it feature complete. The client CVars are confirmed working in multiplayer and a menu toggle has been added to block collecting autoactivating CustomInventory items while intelligent behavior is enabled, if one so wishes - recommended for use with Use key reverting item pickup behavior to vanilla. I also spent a couple hours figuring out how to enable SSL on my webserver so Chrome users would not have their download blocked from the main link, which was its own adventure, and for that I hereby deem this version of Intelligent Supplies 1.1. Jump to the main post to grab it.

Will there be a 1.2? Maybe, I have a crazy yet multiplayer-only idea in mind for a minor redesign. If anyone wants more visual feedback from the mod as to remaining item amounts, I'd like to hear ideas on that as well. Scaling? Alpha? Drawing a bar somewhere?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”