Edit 08-12-2021: Link has been restored, I'm sorry it took me this long to get back here, but I've been through some very hard times...Anyway, it's all good now
EDIT 04-04-2021: New version (V2_3), added QuickChainsaw button for instant chainsaw use with all weapons. Updated Dropbox link and removed the old one.
EDIT 13-04-2021: New and final version (2_4), minor sprites adjustments, new sprites for some projectiles, normal shotgun is a little faster. Updated Dropbox link and removed the old one.
EDIT 17-04-2021: New final final version (2_5), more chainsaw range to more easily kill enemies even if you don't get "inside" their hitbox. More info in the new post. Updated Dropbox link and removed the old one.
EDIT 29-04-2021: Added grenade and removed random ammo drop from enemies. Increased armor drop rate from enemies. New Dropbox link alongside the old one, in case ya'all don't like the new balance.
EDIT 15-09-2021: Added alternate version with original Doom movement speed and gravity (dash is disabled) for easier playing on Android devices.
I made a mod. It’s not my first, but it’s the first I’ll be throwing to the wolves. It’s been developed for “Zandronum 3.0-alpha (151004-2012)” over the span of one year.
It should work on GzDoom as well, but you might have some slight issues with the chainsaw.
Since one year ago I had literally nothing else to do due to the quarantine here in Italy, I had decided to do this Doom Eternal in Zandronum Mod.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. And yes, I’m pretty sure someone else will do a better job than me with this. But it’s something that I worked hard on, and I wanted to share.
In any case I ripped the “modless” centered guns (save for the chaingun and the heavy rifle ‘cause I’m a moron) from the game via screenshots and spent 8 days making them look decent in Doom.
Did I make it? I’ll let you be the judge.
Screenshots under the text.
So what does this mod do?
- Emulates Doom Eternal’s guns without mods. Save for the Ballista. I couldn’t find a spot for it.
-- The new weapon loadout is this:
1)Chainsaw (Starting Weapon), H.A.R.(replaces the normal Chainsaw spawns)
2)Shotgun (Starting Weapon)
If you are confused about the weapon layout, well, it’s how I rearranged it in Doom Eternal.
Muscle memory kept making me select the wrong guns otherwise.
- All the weapons have a punch as secondary fire. If you happen to have one Bloodpunch (replaces the Berserk), you’ll unleash a small explosion along with a more powerful punch attack.
To balance things out, the BFG uses a separate ammo type that replaces the cellpacks and only keeps 3 shots but it’s a lot stronger and now damages enemies even while the projectile travels.
- The Chainsaw oneshots every demon in the game and refills roughly half of your ammo. Ammo caps have been lowered, but fear not. Demons killed have a chance to drop all kinds of ammo (in the old 2_5 version), save for the BFG shots. Note that the Chainsaw has a decently long animation. So don’t miss. Once you hit an enemy you won’t be able to move. It can be a bit buggy when used on different height elevation so use at your own risk. If you get stuck in a monster using the chainsaw, make a 180° and use it again. Also, ulness you use the “actors are infinitely tall” flag, don’t use it on fliyng enemies that are higher than you via mouselook, as you’ll miss them. If they are perfectly in front of you, it should work without problems. Given all the above, the Chainsaw refills all 3 charges with time instead of only 1.
In any case, most of the time it isn’t mandatory to use, unlike the source material. Also be advised that you are immortal while using it.
- Player speed is rougly 60% of the original.
- All zombies fire projectiles that can be avoided by moving now. Only exception is the SpiderMastermind. Other monsters perform the same as vanilla Doom but slightly faster with faster projectiles. Didn’t wanna mess too much with this. Didn’t need to. The ChaingunGuy now fires in bursts of 5. Be advised that the SS are untouched. I didn’t want to risk incopatibilities with the BFG Edition versions etc…
- Revenant missiles now expire after a while. I felt it was necessary for some slaughter maps, due to the lowered player speed. Arachnotrons’ plasma shots are weaker and so are mancubi shots.
- The normal shotgun pickup has been replaced with an item that gives you the SuperShotgun, for the full experience of the mod even with Ultimate Doom and stuff.
- Custom crosshairs per weapon are included and should be used with Scale 1.00.
- Has a modified SBARINFO for the Doom Eternal HUD that I made.
- Armor maximum is 100 but protects from all damage, as in the source material.
- Gravity for the player has been lowered to make it easier to cross gaps that were intended to be crossed while running with the original player speed. If it’s not enough, use the dash while moving. Those who use jumps instead will find them a little floaty, but it’s the closest thing I could get to the effect produced by double jumping in Doom Eternal without having to code that stuff.
Mod should be played with Doom Compatibility (not Strict) or you’ll break the chainsaw, for some reason that I haven’t figured out yet.
I tried to code it in the cleanest way possible and to the best of my abilities, but it’s still a little messy, as in, there might be redundant actor properties and such. It works and it’s stable, so I won’t go fix anything right now.
The entire mod should work well in coop and other multiplayer modes. Wasn’t able to test it though. My city is a little short on Doomers.
You are free to use the sprites contained in the wad if ya’all wish. They might not fit anything else in particular though, given where they’re from.
Some of the sounds that I didn’t record myself come from various sources that I wasn’t completely able to track down. BFG sound should be from Doom3, I think?
Known issues: if your map works by moving voodoo doll around with explosions, the counter for the dash refresh will stop working and you will be able to dash infinitely.
It also isn't compatible "out of the box" with certain megawads that change sprites, you're gonna have to remove the conflicts yourself (for Eviternity or Valiant:VE)
I hope you all enjoy this thing, I sure as hell enjoyed making it
Download Link v2_7:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozmrzt2wje4tv ... 7.zip?dl=0