The mod now has an official demo map - Sunrise Citadel(thread here)
This simple Zscript mod adds ~60 monster variants for Hexen along with boss enhancements. By default, new variants are introduced gradually as you advance through the maps in a given playthrough, but you can adjust it to your liking (from only ever seeing a single variety to having a new random roll every next room)
There are really only three good* things about the mod:
1) It. Is. So. Damn. TINY. No sprites, no brightmaps, no dynamic lights, completely nothing at all and the one sound I included is there because I have not figured out how to cut/pitch/etc it the way I like it yet. Only preexisting HEXEN.WAD assets and a little bit of elbow grease. The quality is debatable, but I honestly do not care for detail over gameplay.
2) It doesn't break stock Hexen scripts like a default unhandled RandomSpawner does and they usually work as intended. This means Gibbet bug is still there, which is a bit annoying to keep exactly 3 serpents but not hard-locking. Note to self: write a specialcasing for that so no user care is required anymore.
3) Difficulty is overall increased. Except centaurs, because to hell with bInvulnerable (and they are not). That said, Hexen weapons are so overpowered you should not have much problems regardless. Health increases are modest, nothing a Quietus blast can't handle, at worst you'll need several hammers if you don't axe the problem, or mage choosing weapon carefully.
1) All Hexen enemies are replaced with tweaked ones.
2) There is an options menu to tweak mod's behaviour, including ability to disable mod partially if you want other custom content for some unfathomable reason.
3) This is a beta release; it is completely functional. but balance might sometimes strain in custom conditions.
4) There are several variants which spawn under exotic conditions. This makes them uncommon otherwise. EDIT: Make that 0 spawns in entire IWAD. Even HexDD only helps so much.
5) Naming sense. I am really, completely and undoubtedly magnificient at doing that. Badly.
Main changes for 0.40:
- Added Sunrise Citadel support.
Anyways, enough with words, try out the mod and tell me what you hated/liked about it!