[Hexen] [v 0.02] ERLBA Monster Pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Hexen] [v 0.02] ERLBA Monster Pack

Postby alexsa2015sa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:59 am

This simple Zscript mod adds 36 monster variants for Hexen: +5 ettins, +10 serpents (Demon1 and Demon2), +6 bishops, +5 afrits, +5 centaurs and +5 slaughtaurs. They are introduced gradually as you advance through the maps in a given playthrough, but even the basic varieties are tweaked. Like Chaos Serpent gaining the D'Sparil triple shot.

There are really only three good things about the mod:
1) It. Is. So. Damn. TINY. No sprites, no brightmaps, no dynamic lights, completely nothing at all and the one sound I included is there because I have not figured out how to cut/pitch/etc it the way I like it yet. Only preexisting HEXEN.WAD assets and a little bit of elbow grease. The quality is debatable, but I honestly do not care for detail over gameplay.
2) It doesn't break stock Hexen scripts like a default unhandled RandomSpawner does and they work exactly as intended. This means Gibbet bug is still there, which is a bit annoying to keep exactly 3 serpents but not hard-locking.
3) Difficulty is overall increased. Except centaurs, because to hell with bInvulnerable (and they are not). That said, Hexen weapons are so overpowered you won't have much problems regardless. Health increases are modest, nothing a Quietus blast can't handle, at worst you'll need several hammers if you don't axe the problem, or mage choosing weapon carefully.

Known issues:

1) This is a beta release; functional, but at minimal level. No Options menu currently exists. Which is, uh, the question; what options would you suggest to introduce, beyond scaling speeds for new variant introduction and variant reordering / bans (I managed to create some monsters I hate but might be appreciated by others, like I managed to increase Darkmere and Caves of Circe difficulty by accident)?
2) Since mod currently uses magic numbers tailored for Hexen.wad for enemy scaling, enemy lineup may progress badly otherwise. "summon allrainbow" if you really want everything really now. Fair warning, you will need something better than starting weapons in several cases.
3) The bosses are kept intact... for now. It is not like I can't rewrite them later. They are all one-dimensional to deal with, and I do mean all including Heresiarch. There is nothing wrong about it, but why stop at just monster variants I guess?
4) bShadow property is completely ignored when many monsters aim. Should do something about that, I guess.
5) Naming sense. I am really, completely and undoubtedly magnificient at doing that. Badly.
6) Mod uses an event handler to suppress any and all possible monster replacements. If something else breaks because of this... um. I would not do this if it was not absolutely needed to overwrite the DECORATE ones, since the load order didn't seem to cut it no matter how I tried.

Changes for 0.02:
- Extra centaur variant
- Brown Serpent breath fixed
- Some color schemes changed

Anyways, enough with words, try out the mod and tell me what you hated/liked about it!

Download link:
Current (v0.02)
https://mega.nz/file/wzggjJzS#Y6N2-h8Lu ... StmSry7VG4

Older versions:
Spoiler:
alexsa2015sa

Re: [Hexen] [v 0.02] ERLBA Monster Pack

Postby alexsa2015sa » Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 am

Download link (v0.02)
https://mega.nz/file/wzggjJzS#Y6N2-h8Lu ... StmSry7VG4

Changes for 0.02:
- Extra centaur variant
- Brown Serpent breath fixed
- Some color schemes changed

I may admit I did not expect to have any feedback quickly and I was busy anyhow, but it honestly looks like no one noticed the mod to begin with and most of the views are bots, random lurkers and maybe staff. Uh, alright, I guess? There *is* a reason version number is so lo, I do plan for more stuff in here.
alexsa2015sa

Return to Gameplay Mods