DooM THoTH--Theatrical Horror of Hell's Terror Monster Pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

DooM THoTH--Theatrical Horror of Hell's Terror Monster Pack

Postby kalensar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 pm

kalensar wrote:
kalensar wrote:

DIFFICULTY RATING by creator:

1. THOHT BUVRO= Yes this is the hardest one. Don't let the tiny file size fool you because you will die a lot.

2.THOHT + Weapons of Earth TC: This one is THOHT BUVRO but with good weapons too. Harder than Original because you are still dealing with the worst monsters.

3.THOTH Original: Play it and be ready to curse the Shadow Knight.

4.TNNE: The Not Nice Edition

5.WTFWID; This one is not the hardest as many monsters are actually larger than normal.

6.THOTH NNIPD: despite the Regenerating Armor of the Hero, this one is still rough.

7.THOHT NTMAI WTFWID: Despite it's name it is actually the most balanced on player side and monster side.

8.THOTH TPV- Easiest as it is meant to be vanilla replacement.

Main Info down Below

Description : Classic Monsters upgradeDooM THoTH:Theatrical Horror of Hell's Terror ===========================================================================
So this is a set of monster packs that were built with Doom 1 and Doom 2 single player campaign progress in mind. It changes many aspects of the monsters and was made to make single player feel even more visually atmospheric from classic style monsters. Basically, yes there was some heavy editing done on all the monsters in all aspects except basic looks.

To this end, the monsters have been balanced more toward Classic play, BUT are an equal challenge to power levels of Brutal Doom. High Powered weapons or Vanilla? You can do whatever you want. I tried to strike a good balance during testing and will outline most changes below.

There are currently multiple flavors and 2 TCs:

Original THOTH: Definitely a toughy but very fun. I have a Doom 2 run of maps 1 through 14 posted here of that specific mod. This is the only version that has hit scan enemies.

TPV Theatrical Pure Vanilla-- This is my Vanilla replacer. This is not exactly vanilla but it is the most balanced. It removes ALL of the extra movement abilities from the monsters and the damage is set to vanilla standards. What it does offer is the TNNE version Monster graphic changes and keeps the SpiderDemon boss replacement.

TNNE The Not Nice Edition. This is THE version that offers the Monster graphics enhancements and Replaces the SpiderDemon with a new boss monster, a highly mobile Doomguy sized CyberDemon. Highly recommended.

THOHT WTFWID-- This one has alternate monster graphics than TNNE and is more difficult than the others. It also replaces SpiderDemon with a different boss (yes I dislike the spiders) with Thoth the Giant Baron. Basically this is meant to be hard. Its hard to chainsaw the imps type of hard, BUT the imps are also Gorilla size towering over smaller Zombies. Also Highly Recommended if you want a fun challenge.

THoth NNiPD Not Nice in Perfect Dark-- This is the Not NIce Edition monsters mashed up with a modified weapons mod of my own editing. If you want a balanced Thoth experience complete with higher jumping regenerating armor, and alt-fire type weapons using Perfect Dark weapons then this is one for you!

NTMAI THOHT WTFWID-- This is NTMAI modified with the WTFWID monsters. It is Build to the Bone and is a premiere experience for playing Doom like you've never had.
Y
es, all versions are compatible with Ultimate Doom. Its not just for Doom 2.

Major Monster Changes :
all Zombies: Origin- Higher health and shoots hitscan triple burst TNNE on forward--> energy balls and vanilla health

Imps-- all Versions-- They jump and hurt and can follow you. They WILL JUMP ON YOUR HEAD. In TNNE they are smaller in stature. In WTFWID they are big targets.

-- Lost Souls have LOWER health in all versions but they are really aggressive. in TNNE and WTFWID they are half their vanilla size.

-- Spectres are now Shadow Imps with higher speed than normal Imps. Their missile attack is weaker than the normal imp. They also jump and move like the normal imps.

-- Pinkys are highly mobile just like the imps but have vanilla health.

-- Arachnotrons no longer exist. They have been replaced by Shadow Knights. Shadow Knights fly and shoot Lost Souls. They also have a melee attack. Shadow Knights are a Mascot Monster so they also appear in the TPV Vanilla version.

-- Hell Knights are more mobile.

-- Archviles are different in every version! Original Thoth version is a Shadow Vile!

-- CyberDemon has a Death surprise IN ALL VERSIONS except TPV and WTFWID. He also shoots energy weapons. So no more just dodging rockets..

-- Pain Elementals are now Imp Elementals, but still are Pain Elementals. They are a Mascot Monster and are present in TPV in this form.

-- Yes the Mod title was deliberate.
===========================================================================

Special Thanks : NTMAI Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod
Postby CantSleep

Universal Enhanced AI
Postby Josh771

SM-EX-UN-MON Smart Extreme Unhindered Monsters
by Kalensar
===========================================================================

* Copyright / Permissions *

Edit it all you want because that is what I did. This is a labor of love that I builtat home for extra challenge. It's only right that I share it and allow it to be shared.

Heres' an up to date demo of Thoth that is a boss fight on Gotcha! Map 20 of doom 2 with THOHT WTFWID

Heres the demo of Thoth UVVVE combined with LazModRedux Doom 4 Weapons pack
Spoiler:

Photos of Doom Thoth original version
Spoiler:

Extra Video of
Spoiler:

and then heres the whole playlist

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYmk ... SOJ9Nf_333
Last edited by kalensar on Fri May 07, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 29 times in total.
kalensar

Re: DooM THoTH--Theatrical Horror of Hell's Terror Monster P

Postby kalensar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 pm

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-thothth ... nster-pack

Heres the download. Theres also another video of E1M8 UV Pistol start with vanilla weapons posted, too. My Luck was worse on that run but it is still beatable.
kalensar

Postby Baratus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 am

I do like the overhauled movement system for the monsters! They move in a much more believable, and much less sluggish and ineffective way than vanilla Doom. Giving imps and demons the ability to leap about across sectors and even scaling large vertical gaps puts a new kind of fear and unease into the player in a way that many Doom mods have not been able to achieve, and I'm totally onboard.

However, I'm not much of a fan of the health buff given across the board for most monsters,
Doom's game balance was quite delicate but very effective. The monsters were still quite threatening on their own, moreso in large numbers, but were easy to dispatch, requiring the player to act fast and kill targets effectively. Buffing an enemy's health tends not to make them harder to fight, it just takes longer to kill them. Seeing most of the weakest enemies being able to reliably tank a direct single shotgun is quite disheartening, as is the case with the Pinky Demon replacements being able to tank a full point blank SSG blast. If this health rebalancing was to remedy the SSG trivialising the entire game, I find this to be a little bit counterproductive. If a zombieman or shotgunguy needs two direct single shotgun blasts to take down, why would I ever use the single shotgun and just favor the SSG? It makes your early weapons feel weak and practically obsolete once you find better weaponry. And yes, this does happen somewhat with the Pistol and Chaingun in the original Doom. Also, it depletes your ammo a lot faster, making the game feel a lot less lenient and more punishing. Personally, I would roll back the health buff either partially or totally, since the monster threat levels have been increased a lot across the board. Apart from Shotgunners, they seem fairly ineffective at being any kind of threat. Also, the new Mancubuses' damage output is pitiful.

I can't say the same for Hell Knights because I'm sorry they do WHAT???? Uh, I can't see this ever ending well for the player if you would have to fight more than 2 of them, and they're used quite commonly in most mapsets, as they're good mid-tier enemies, acting as slightly stronger imps.

As for Arachnotrons and Pain Elementals OH JEEZ OH PETE IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN AND IT'S WORSE, IT'S SO MUCH WORSE. I think this is pushing quite strongly against the boundaries of what's fair and reasonable. Maybe don't have THREE monsters in the bestiary that function as Pain Elementals?

Also, I've noticed a bug that Imps throw red fireballs and the impact splash is green.

I see a lot of potential in this mod, and monster overhaul mods aren't really that common to see in my experience. I myself have attempted to change the behaviour of doom monsters slightly, and it seems we differ in ideas somewhat. Still, don't feel discouraged. This certainly shakes up the Doom formula in a very interesting way and would most definitely be very entertaining to other watch people play and discover... and even more interesting to watch them attempt to beat an entire levelset.
Baratus

Postby kalensar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:30 pm

Baratus wrote:I do like the overhauled movement system for the monsters! They move in a much more believable, and much less sluggish and ineffective way than vanilla Doom. Giving imps and demons the ability to leap about across sectors and even scaling large vertical gaps puts a new kind of fear and unease into the player in a way that many Doom mods have not been able to achieve, and I'm totally onboard.

However, I'm not much of a fan of the health buff given across the board for most monsters,
Doom's game balance was quite delicate but very effective. The monsters were still quite threatening on their own, moreso in large numbers, but were easy to dispatch, requiring the player to act fast and kill targets effectively. Buffing an enemy's health tends not to make them harder to fight, it just takes longer to kill them. Seeing most of the weakest enemies being able to reliably tank a direct single shotgun is quite disheartening, as is the case with the Pinky Demon replacements being able to tank a full point blank SSG blast. If this health rebalancing was to remedy the SSG trivialising the entire game, I find this to be a little bit counterproductive. If a zombieman or shotgunguy needs two direct single shotgun blasts to take down, why would I ever use the single shotgun and just favor the SSG? It makes your early weapons feel weak and practically obsolete once you find better weaponry. And yes, this does happen somewhat with the Pistol and Chaingun in the original Doom. Also, it depletes your ammo a lot faster, making the game feel a lot less lenient and more punishing. Personally, I would roll back the health buff either partially or totally, since the monster threat levels have been increased a lot across the board. Apart from Shotgunners, they seem fairly ineffective at being any kind of threat. Also, the new Mancubuses' damage output is pitiful.

I can't say the same for Hell Knights because I'm sorry they do WHAT???? Uh, I can't see this ever ending well for the player if you would have to fight more than 2 of them, and they're used quite commonly in most mapsets, as they're good mid-tier enemies, acting as slightly stronger imps.

As for Arachnotrons and Pain Elementals OH JEEZ OH PETE IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN AND IT'S WORSE, IT'S SO MUCH WORSE. I think this is pushing quite strongly against the boundaries of what's fair and reasonable. Maybe don't have THREE monsters in the bestiary that function as Pain Elementals?

Also, I've noticed a bug that Imps throw red fireballs and the impact splash is green.

I see a lot of potential in this mod, and monster overhaul mods aren't really that common to see in my experience. I myself have attempted to change the behaviour of doom monsters slightly, and it seems we differ in ideas somewhat. Still, don't feel discouraged. This certainly shakes up the Doom formula in a very interesting way and would most definitely be very entertaining to other watch people play and discover... and even more interesting to watch them attempt to beat an entire levelset.

I'll bullet point this as best as I can and offer the best reasons I can:

>Green Tint on the big fire balls was intentional: Reason is theatrical

> Imp Elementals= More dangerous and annoying than normal Pain Elementals especially with the Imp Movement

> Pinkys are now by their lonesome. No more support from Brother Spectre except as the ThoTH Spectre which does have Vanilla Pinky health. ThoTH Pinky has 250 health. Done to force the player to dance and even jump over them to do crowd surfing. I had to do this A LOT in my E1M8 UV vanilla weapons pistol start video. This was not meant to be played in a classical sense but can be beaten with vanilla weapons.

> Shotgunners : The Shotgunners are more accurate and less surprise tactics now. because they will snipe you. Yes they were balanced to be able to take a hit because they do not have a hitscan weapon. Zombie men shoot a triple burst hit scan, but the damage is garbage. Shotgunners shoot a fast speed default damage imp ball. Basically, Shotgunners are more effective on Doom 2 Map 14.

>Mancubi : yes do pitiful damage for the trade off of being more accurate. I could not justify them having them having their normal shot given the massive beef up everything else got. So yes Mancubi seem like they got a debuff, except that they will shoot way way more often than their vanilla version.

> The SSG : Now heres a juicy topic since that one is definitely a hot button issue. The answer is no, it is not trivialized. It just is not useful in the same aspects like with pinkys. The Lost Soul health was lowered partially because of this reason so they can be one shot with a normal shotgun. Pinky's can be stun locked still, just saying. The vanilla SSG can still one shot Spectres. Imps, Zombies, Shotgunners, Chaingunners and Lost Souls. The OTHER reason is that this mod is also meant for Doom 1, even though Doom 2 receives by far the craziest upgrades.

> Hell Knight= Yup. He is was the single biggest joke in Doom 2. Now he is not. Since you know what I'm talking about, Dead Simple has been beaten by me on Hurt Me Plenty from a vanilla pistol start. I've also beaten The Crusher on Hurt Me Plenty from a vanilla Campaign Start. The Crusher is harder than Dead Simple on Hurt Me Plenty. To put it mildly, The Crusher name joke is completely reversed now. That room on Hurt Me Plenty will Crush You, but it is beatable from a Campaign Start. On UV The Crusher will still spawn the Spider Mastmind. So Yes Hell Knights will put you through hell. The key is don't get cornered and look for the Flame flare.

> Arachnotrons-- This is a no brainer in the vein of this mods intent. Which is scarier? A slow less effective chaingunner or a Thoth Hell Knight? I said it is beatable, not that it was going to be a cake walk. Arachnotrons are not scary or theatrical or scary or scary. My alternative though for baby spider was a Rocket Arachnotron, and franky that is less fair than the current THoTH Hell Knight.

This is where I will issue an apology on following the Plutonia Creator's advice of " Replay it until it gives you a challenge." I did the Balance with Hurt Me Plenty in mind. This is also why I did the Demo Videos on E1M8 on UV because that fight is by far one of the most ridiculous from a pistol start, and also to prove it is able to be won if the dice roll good on nailing the barrels in the opening room..

Thank you so much for your feed back. :wub:
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Also, Thanks for the Idea of doing another demo video from a campaign start, @Baratus.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Posted new demo video update in the Opening post. It breaks a spoiler but its a fun little short run.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 am

I'm going to post an entire Doom 2 run on here. Up to Map 9 done so far. Its a slog and hard and epic. Enjoy the laughs with me here. :wub:
kalensar

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 am

kalensar wrote:-- Arachnotrons no longer exist. They have been replaced by Hell Knights. This does break the trigger for Dead Simple,
but this was never intended to be played with no jumping.

You can easily fix that, actually, by adding the keyword replaces after the actor's name and A_BossDeath to the monster's death state frame (the one with the value -1).

I was taught how to do so by Player701 in the following thread.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby kalensar » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:12 am

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
kalensar wrote:-- Arachnotrons no longer exist. They have been replaced by Hell Knights. This does break the trigger for Dead Simple,
but this was never intended to be played with no jumping.

You can easily fix that, actually, by adding the keyword replaces after the actor's name and A_BossDeath to the monster's death state frame (the one with the value -1).

I was taught how to do so by Player701 in the following thread.

Fair enough!. I didn't think/ know what caused that particular level trigger. I'll go fix that asap.

edit-- now updated.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Did a small update. listed in opening post. Rebalanced the monster healths so as to be more vanilla weapons friendly.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Patched a crash bug.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:32 am

patched a loading error.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Uploaded the variation of the mod.

Doom THoTH V-V-E Vile Vanilla Edition.
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm

Uploaded New verion entitled as:

DooM THoTH OFFICIAL UV V-V-E : UV Vile Vanilla Edition.

main post updated
kalensar

Postby kalensar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Updated main post with some new demo videos.
kalensar

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods