Slayer's Rampage Rebalanced

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HyperExia
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home

Slayer's Rampage Rebalanced

Post by HyperExia »

This is a modified version of Endie's Slayer's Rampage. I don't have a really good name for it at the moment, so Slayer's Rampage Rebalanced will be the modification's current name.

Mod versions here
Spoiler: Mission statement ramble
Spoiler: Credits
Changelog
Spoiler: Changes
Last edited by HyperExia on Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Slayer's Rampage Rebalanced

Post by wildweasel »

Please stop reposting the thread - every time you Edit it, it goes back into Approval Queue until it can be visible again.
HyperExia

Post by HyperExia »

Oh whoops! Sorry about that! I've made this account a while ago but I'm only making use of it now. Thanks for the heads up!
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Hello HyperExia, thank you for keeping this mod alive.
Slayer's Rampage is one of my favorite mods for GZDoom, as it uses very little system resources and runs well even on weak systems like my Lenovo 450T.
The pace is very fast and I love the enemy movement and sequence breaking afforded by double jump, mantling and dashing.

I played through Doom Board Project #1 Monuments Of Mars with Slayer's Rampage 1.9C and
DBP #2 Circle Of Caina with SRR 1.9C V5, back-to-back. I was using GZDoom 4.6.0.

Changes are numerous and often subtle. I hope you will find my feedback encouraging.

1. Like 1.9C, Revenants seem to have a lot more HP, but are less aggressive to compensate.
Which is good, because they tend to appear in large numbers in most modern mapsets.

2. Quick chainsaw yields item piñata, but not always. Under what conditions do you get the piñata?

3. Melee hits (fist) yield item piñata more consistently, and stunlock pinkies. Abusable.

4. SR1.9C used to - annoyingly - display the currently wielded weapon in large letters at the top of the screen, just below pickup messages.
In V5, this only happens on the map screen.

5. SR1.9C had the auto rifle secondary (precision scope) as a toggle, whereas handgun charge shot and minigun spinup required tapping primary WHILST holding secondary.
In V5, this is more consistent, but I like the auto rifle secondary (precision bolt) a lot less -- through years of playing BD and its derivatives, I have gotten used to having the autorifle as a precision weapon I could use to pick off mooks at a distance -- it was by far by favorite weapon for that reason. But I can understand you want to push the player towards the other weapons.

6. Every time I mantle, V5 displays the current weapon mod. Why is this?

7. The biggest downside I have with SR, both 1.9C and V5, is that I find ammunition management impossible -- the icons look far too similar to each other. I would distinguish between shells, bullets, cells and explosives by using strongly differentiated colors, like shell (red), bullet (yellow), rocket (green) and cell (cyan) and deep blue and bright violet for any additional types.

8. The ammo counters double as cooldown timers for certain weapons, the way this is done is confusing, because some functions use messages in the top left for cooldown indicators. It would be preferable if cooldown timers could be place at the bottom center of the screen, though admittedly this would be a lot of coding and extra work.
HyperExia

Post by HyperExia »

marco.nadal.75 wrote:Hello HyperExia, thank you for keeping this mod alive.
Slayer's Rampage is one of my favorite mods for GZDoom, as it uses very little system resources and runs well even on weak systems like my Lenovo 450T.
The pace is very fast and I love the enemy movement and sequence breaking afforded by double jump, mantling and dashing.

I played through Doom Board Project #1 Monuments Of Mars with Slayer's Rampage 1.9C and
DBP #2 Circle Of Caina with SRR 1.9C V5, back-to-back. I was using GZDoom 4.6.0.

Changes are numerous and often subtle. I hope you will find my feedback encouraging.

1. Like 1.9C, Revenants seem to have a lot more HP, but are less aggressive to compensate.
Which is good, because they tend to appear in large numbers in most modern mapsets.

2. Quick chainsaw yields item piñata, but not always. Under what conditions do you get the piñata?

3. Melee hits (fist) yield item piñata more consistently, and stunlock pinkies. Abusable.

4. SR1.9C used to - annoyingly - display the currently wielded weapon in large letters at the top of the screen, just below pickup messages.
In V5, this only happens on the map screen.

5. SR1.9C had the auto rifle secondary (precision scope) as a toggle, whereas handgun charge shot and minigun spinup required tapping primary WHILST holding secondary.
In V5, this is more consistent, but I like the auto rifle secondary (precision bolt) a lot less -- through years of playing BD and its derivatives, I have gotten used to having the autorifle as a precision weapon I could use to pick off mooks at a distance -- it was by far by favorite weapon for that reason. But I can understand you want to push the player towards the other weapons.

6. Every time I mantle, V5 displays the current weapon mod. Why is this?

7. The biggest downside I have with SR, both 1.9C and V5, is that I find ammunition management impossible -- the icons look far too similar to each other. I would distinguish between shells, bullets, cells and explosives by using strongly differentiated colors, like shell (red), bullet (yellow), rocket (green) and cell (cyan) and deep blue and bright violet for any additional types.

8. The ammo counters double as cooldown timers for certain weapons, the way this is done is confusing, because some functions use messages in the top left for cooldown indicators. It would be preferable if cooldown timers could be place at the bottom center of the screen, though admittedly this would be a lot of coding and extra work.
Yo! Sorry about that; Strange, I never even saw this notification.
I am sorry about that, a lot of these changes probably don't apply as much , but I currently now have the new version up at the moment. I'm actually considering putting this up on ModdB since it's actually more consistent with notifications.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

A new version you say? I checked on your Google Drive and it still says "V5" is the latest.
seems-fishy_o_7181882.jpg
HyperExia

Post by HyperExia »

Yeah, I didn't change the name because it's minor tweaks. On the other hand, i'm probably going to implement the Marauder.
antpostal

Post by antpostal »

can we use other monster mods to inject to play with slayer rampage. or does it still have exclusive monsters of its own tied to this mod that would otherwise cause sprite conflicts or errors?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”