Dynamic Enemy Reinforcements v3

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Dynamic Enemy Reinforcements v3

Postby Gustavo6046 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:44 pm

fcas3t wrote:No, I won't be changing this. (The only change I'm interested in for DER is if someone else figures out a workaround for the GZ engine edge case bug discussed in a prior post.)

Hm, I should have paid more attention to the thread.

I can try helping you with that, though .

By the way, do consider putting your stuff in GitHub so others can fork it and make pull requests too! This honours contribution :)

fcas3t wrote:I always use DER for my gameplay (changing der_chance to accomodate the wide variety of map difficulties) and it's performed just fine on many maps, including some large ones. Reinforcement spawning has always been fluid.

In my many hours of playing with DER, I've only experienced one noticable lag spike in GZDoom, which may have been caused by something else. The most important factor for lagging is the power of your PC. Another factor is other mods you're using and the scripts they run.

I don't mean fluid as in performance; but rather that there is a slight delay between each monster or group spawned, when they spawn, rather than them spawning all at once. Although paying more attention to the spawns, it seems this may already be the case!

Performance is fine. It stutters a tiny little bit when it spawns, but I do use it with GZDoom so maybe that is related. I don't think it is a big deal. I can live with it.

Also, I, too, always use DER! :D

---
Ooh, another thought. Maaybe you could add a sanitycheck for whenever maxdistance is smaller than mindistance (which it should never be), which would then resort to using 0 for mindistance instead. Maybe do that for other min/max CVar pairs too. Shouldn't be too difficult. Plus it makes temporarily switching spawns to happen right next to you, for example for debugging purposes, a lot easier!

Then again it's a bit of a niche thing so don't bother too much about it. If I end up feeling the need of it much, I'll do a pull request. Assuming you have gittified your mod by then!
Gustavo6046
A faceful of C, and a tailful of wallaby.

Discord: Gustavo6046#9009
Twitch ID: gustavo6046
Github ID: Gustavo6046
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Gustavo6046 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Another idea I had is that you could have an option that disables spawning them right within the player's line of sight. Would make it feel more natural to have monsters spawn in previously visited areas if they're not, well, still under visit. but don't appear with teleport fog.

Heck, you can also have a middle term, where monsters CAN spawn in LOS, but they don't spawn teleport fog if they're not within the LOS of a player. (If they do, it's so it looks like a random teleport trap/ambush so!)

Those don't sound difficult to implement. But if you don't want, that's fine; after all... I want to try my hand at it!

don't take that out of context pls
Gustavo6046

Postby fcas3t » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Gustavo, that's cool you have ideas you want to try. Feel free to make whatever changes you want to the code and share them here on the forum, on Github, or wherever. You won't offend me by sharing your fork.

At this point, I'm content with DER as-is. I also have no desire to test any changes (that someone else makes). So any further changes should be in a fork.

My only request is that if anyone shares their fork on this forum, please do so in a new thread. Then you can post a link to it here in this thread.
fcas3t

Postby Chairkicker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:48 pm

think you could make this mod compatible with heretic/hexen/etc.. like AI Director?
Chairkicker

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Gustavo6046 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:31 am

I think this mod isn't being developed anymore. The author has said so in the reply above yours.

I've been cogitating making a fork of it on GitHub. I fear stuffing it with lots of functionality could be a bad idea, you know, "Unix philosophy", small parts where each does its own job well, etc etc. But we'll see how it goes.
Gustavo6046

Postby fcas3t » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Just a minor FYI -- in the exclusions portion of the code, I added 4 EVP enemies, because that's the mod I always use. But the ClassNames were all changed at some point, adding underscores. So now "EVPSpectre" is "EVP_Spectre"; same for the others. I mention it because I'm done making changes to DER (as I stated before) so I'm not going to re-upload a new one for this change.

(My EVP is a personal fork of an older version with the old names. I only noticed it because I'd like to try Corruption Cards for the first time and took a quick look at the EVP patch for it, which had the new class names. Then I verified they changed in the latest version of EVP.)

Keep in mind that monster type exclusions are somewhat subjective, so see the 2nd post of this thread for how to add exclusions for vanilla enemies or whatever replacement mod you use.
fcas3t

Postby .ex.inferis. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:09 am

This a really fun mod. :twisted: I've cracked it open to make it so the reinforcements are chosen from a custom roster, not the current or previous map's rosters. However, that's kind of making my head spin a bit.

There is, however this line:
Code: Select allExpand view
Actor m = Actor.Spawn( EnemyRoster[ random( 0, LastRosterIdx ) ],
                               spawnPoint.pos, ALLOW_REPLACE );

If replaced the part of the line that says EnemyRoster[ random( 0, LastRosterIdx ) ] with a customer spawner class, would that do the trick?
.ex.inferis.

Postby fcas3t » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm

.ex.inferis. wrote:This a really fun mod. :twisted: I've cracked it open to make it so the reinforcements are chosen from a custom roster, not the current or previous map's rosters. However, that's kind of making my head spin a bit.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. As far as changing the roster, it depends specifically what you want. Your best bet is posting on the Scripting help forum.
fcas3t

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods