Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.6 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Blazing fast response because I seemingly found a sweet spot with the inconsistency of these tics of the engine; remove a little over one quarter of a second from the duration of a given effect, in tics only. So for example, with stims, they normally would have a tic duration of 140 (4 seconds, each second being about the same as 35 tics) but when I shave off 10 tics (technically 8.75 tics, but since you can't do decimals with this effect, just round up. Plus it's a nice clean easy to remember number.) to get a value of 130 tics, it seems to fall in a sweet spot and trigger correctly every time, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. I tested with 20 stims so far, while taking away health in increments of 10, and it's worked correctly so far.

Lowering by 10 tics did help a notable amount with stims, but with bandages it still has a chance to heal one extra point of health since it lasts for longer and therefore has more tics to potentially overcount. I won't worry about it too much because it's not really game breaking. At some point though I'll look for smoother methods of slowly regaining health, since I do want to have stims heal that 20 HP in 3 seconds, which isn't doable with PowerRegeneration since it heals X amount for Y seconds.

Lowering the bandage tic duration by 15 tics still occasionally heals 11 points instead of 10. If you count the seconds while you're healing you can weasel that extra hit point in if you apply a second bandage just under one second after a bandage wears off. I even went so far as to lower it by 20 tics and it still can heal 11 instead of 20. I'm just going to leave it at 340 tics duration to prevent any possibility of being healed 9 instead of 10.
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.6 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:33 pm

I tested 50 stims with a duration of -12 the intended amount of tics, and all stims worked as intended. It seemed to give just enough budge to make the slower counts have enough time to trigger another second of healing, while being just short enough to stop an erroneous extra second of healing. Now I'll test bandages and tack on to this post. If bandages count cleanly, blood bags should be fine as well.

Edit: yeah this might just be a case by case type of deal. Shaving off 12 tics for stims seems to be ideal, I'll see if bandages work best with a particular amount.

Spoiler: So far:

Edit: fair enough on the logic of not shorting the player anything. I'm wondering if, on item use, you can set an amount of hidden points for a given healing item (for example, BandageHealing, 10 points) to provide to the player, then you have some function gradually take away these hidden points (which could be a function given on item use, too) and give the player in return however much health one point of a healing item gives when it's taken away. That way, you have locked, definite amounts of health, and the only variable up in the air is the exact miniscule amount of time variance that you happen to be healed.
Abba Zabba

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.65 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:fair enough on the logic of not shorting the player anything.

I've spent a good bit of time using your values and I've not noticed any instances of being shorted health. I also have been trying my damndest to time the heals to the 35 tic timing as best as I can and so far it works fine without giving extra or less health. I'm keeping it for now, at least unless it does cause issues later.

Abba Zabba wrote:I'm wondering if, on item use, you can set an amount of hidden points for a given healing item (for example, BandageHealing, 10 points) to provide to the player, then you have some function gradually take away these hidden points (which could be a function given on item use, too) and give the player in return however much health one point of a healing item gives when it's taken away. That way, you have locked, definite amounts of health, and the only variable up in the air is the exact miniscule amount of time variance that you happen to be healed.

Might be an ACS or ZScript thing, but once I do start learning those it wouldn't hurt to look into.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaaaaaaaaanyways, gonna go ahead and push this update. I still haven't completed the extra monster attack patterns. Genuinely don't even want to think about clicking on the Monster DECORATE lump because I spent an inordinate amount of time with it balancing out enemy damage resistances to be less dumb and I am sick and tired of it lol. A good number of small tweaks, fixes, and balancing has been done, but shouldn't break saves.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 4/2/21)

Spoiler: Changelog
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:04 pm

Nice to see you still updating!

Just wanted to add, this actually works pretty well with the Project Malice monster pack too. I combined it with a few other mods to get a nice spooky atmosphere with limited ammo and scavenging. Use to pickup definitely feels like a must since it's easy to grab too many weapons by accident and slow down.

Have you considered having lootable corpses, either enemies or decorations? It'd be cool to have some more variety in barrels and such, maybe a small chance of supply crates, bodies with ammo/broken guns/meds, etc. it can help create some environmental storytelling when you've got a marine body surrounded by spent ammo, but still a little loot to grab here and there.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Use to pickup definitely feels like a must since it's easy to grab too many weapons by accident and slow down.

One of the first things I'm going to look into doing is integrating Use to Pickup directly into the mod. I tried that some time ago but ran into some issues.

-Ghost- wrote:Have you considered having lootable corpses, either enemies or decorations? It'd be cool to have some more variety in barrels and such, maybe a small chance of supply crates, bodies with ammo/broken guns/meds, etc. it can help create some environmental storytelling when you've got a marine body surrounded by spent ammo, but still a little loot to grab here and there.

That actually might be doable in DECORATE. Have corpses, both spawned on maps and dropped by enemies, also have a Thing spawn on top of it that you would interact with with Use to Pickup. Just press the Use button on it and it spits out random bits of gear that thematically fits whatever corpse you're looting. This would replace the ammo that's dropped by zombies.

I'll look into that another time, though, since my plans for the next update I push out involve adding CVARs for having spent magazines and casings disappear over time and for controlling how scarce loot is, adding Use to Pickup, and other such general improvements. Thank ye for the idea!
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 pm

Second lootable corpses, they could even have the monster name as an item (but as a tiny, centralized item bound to the monster, rather than the corpse's hitbox itself. Would definitely help reduce clutter so you could focus on weapons first, then scrounge for ammo if you want, making it easier to keep track of things. Would double too as a deterrent in a fight, too, as the slight bit of extra time required to fish through pockets for ammo and medical items can get you killed, while still offering dropped weapons as an immediate means of arming. I like the concept.

Cool to hear that throwables will get a prep throw state like the landmine, the required throw windup is part of the reason I'm leery of using them on anything able to attack the split second I peek my head out.

On the subject of PDA logs, could you add timestamps to all messages, except the ones that already have a more official 'government server' date header? It's cool to know exactly what time these were written and how these things change over time, like my favorite message, the Hope log.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 am

Going to go ahead and drop an extra update because Use to Pickup is now integrated directly into Scavver's Paradise! Was able to get it running fine. Now we can all rejoice as Health Bonuses can be picked up with great ease instead of having to be grabbed one at a time! At least, until I can think of a more interesting use for them and change their behavior entirely. This shouldn't break your saves if you've been running Scavver with Use to Pickup, but if you weren't using it and update to this it might cause issues. Not sure if it will or not, though.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 6/2/21)

Changelog:
1.66 Integration! Uploaded 6/2/21

* Added time stamps to many of the data logs to help give more a sense of progression to the happenings of the world.
* Integrated argv's Use to Pickup directly into the mod!
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks for adding time stamps, and integrating Use to Pickup! Now I can remove it from my load profile.

Spoiler: Suggestions
Abba Zabba

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:39 pm

I think one suggestion for the healing items, maybe unifying the visual effects a bit more and making them more subtle. The entire screen overlay effects definitely let you know something's working, but the blue or white tinge can mess with the lighting. I tend to run my games pretty dark with flashlight/flare mods and using the bandages is like a free light amp depending on the room. Maybe a pulsing icon on the bottom, or something that fades out as it runs out?
-Ghost-

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.7 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:25 am

New update! Not too many additions or changes, BUT there is now an options menu featuring controls for how much loot is spawned on maps, and an option to enable a casing/spent magazine despawner to help out with performance if desired. Also a new health pickup that replaces the old Health Bonus!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 8/2/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, what would you folks think about having a dodge mechanic? Press jump while moving left, right, or backwards and perform a quick dodge to the side to get the player out of harm's way. I was given a script for something like that for an older mod project of mine and I could implement that code into this one pretty easily. Could make melee combat feel that much more fun since you would be better able to handle yourself under fire from ranged projectiles.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Bug: 9mm rifle zombies can drop .45 ACP pistol magazines for seemingly no reason. Unless this is intended for this zombie since it's a sergeant tier spawn.

Good update! I'm personally a fan of dodge mechanics in games, as I've yet to see one that detracts in anyway (bear in mind these are generally great games, such as FromSoft games or Enter the Gungeon.) If added, I'd think that monster melee would need some sort of buff, mainly along the lines of movement. One way could be to make melee monsters move into their attack so that they close the distance to ensure their melee strike lands, along with potentially boxing you in for more pain. Dodging by way of quickly darting back into cover is also a good counter to gun toting zombies.

Also, just to be clear, scav logs 1,2,3, and 8 have incorrect dates, yes? It seems like the setting takes place around 2108, some decades into the invasion, but these logs seem to erroneously have an extra hundred years tacked on (potentially barring scav log 8, which is the ID Software crew, but even then, it's weird for them to be in 2108 but you get what I'm saying.)
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 am

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: 9mm rifle zombies can drop .45 ACP pistol magazines for seemingly no reason. Unless this is intended for this zombie since it's a sergeant tier spawn.

Tis intended. All the gunner zombies have various things they can drop. They always drop the gun they're carrying, either functioning or broken, have a chance to drop ammo for said gun, have a lesser chance to drop a tiered pistol magazine if they aren't already using a pistol, and for the shotgunner-tier and chaingunner-tier zombies a chance to drop either an impact bomb or a frag grenade, respectively. This will be expanded once I work in corpse looting.

Abba Zabba wrote:If added, I'd think that monster melee would need some sort of buff, mainly along the lines of movement. One way could be to make melee monsters move into their attack so that they close the distance to ensure their melee strike lands, along with potentially boxing you in for more pain.

Glad ya brought that up. I'll be sure to work on that once I finish expanding enemy attack patterns.

Abba Zabba wrote:Also, just to be clear, scav logs 1,2,3, and 8 have incorrect dates, yes? It seems like the setting takes place around 2108, some decades into the invasion, but these logs seem to erroneously have an extra hundred years tacked on (potentially barring scav log 8, which is the ID Software crew, but even then, it's weird for them to be in 2108 but you get what I'm saying.)

Heck, thank ya for pointing that out. Completely had a brain fart there. Dates have been corrected to prevent accidental scavenger time travel.
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Another fun thing might be to create a "loot" monster, like a zombie carrying a lot of gear who spawns rarely but can drop bigger ammo drops, like a box of shells, bullets, etc.

Is it possible to play around with the weight limits as well, like maybe finding straps, satchels, backpacks etc that increase your carrying capacity?
-Ghost-

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Spoiler: WORDS

So this is likely going to be the last update I push before I start working on version 2.0, which is going to feature plenty of new goodies and all that shit. Weapons converted to ZScript, more writing, special ammo types for shotguns, legendary-quality weapons, and much more are currently on the list of "Shit what Captain Nurbles is going to attempt adding/changing to the mod but will not promise due to the difficulty in doing so." Any major, game breaking issues will be attended to ASAP, but I don't intend on doing much with the mod before I do this major update. EDIT: I forgot to mention that this will break your saves due to new ACS scripts.

Before that, tho, I'll be taking a good break from this mod to do things that aren't stare at SLADE and GIMP for hours at a time lol.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 9/2/21)

Changelog:
1.8 DODGE! Uploaded 9/2/21

* Dodging! Press jump and left/right/back to perform a brief dodge to avoid being attacked.
* Dates in the PDA logs have been fixed to make actual chronological sense.
* Sledgehammer animations were cleaned up to look nicer.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:18 pm

Right, work on version 2.0 is commencing. I'll be posting occasional videos on my YouTube channel to show new features and whatnot. Progress will be slowed though since I am in the process of getting a job, likely going to nail an interview soon.

So far, a few weapons have new sprites to make them look and feel that much nicer. The chaingun has been given a buff in the form of a larger magazine, and the LMG has been replaced with a lighter SAW, boasting a reduced magazine size, but is more accurate than the chaingun with a faster fire rate and a relatively speedy reload rate, while also being lighter in weight than the LMG to make it that much more attractive over the chaingun. The revolver is now both a bit nicer to look at with new sprites, has better reload animations, and is less painful to use thanks to some new code. Now the player character has realized they can remove all spent casings in their gun at once before speedily loading bullets into it, rather than removing a spent casing, adding a new round, then moving on to repeat the process ad nauseum. To further improve the revolver, I'm working on adding a speed loader, allowing for an instantaneous reloading, as well as the function where you can load spare bullets into an empty speed loader.

I'm planning on adding alternative ammo types to a few different weapons. For the sake of not having a nightmare of a time trying to balance clip/clipbox and cell/cellpack spawns, I'm specifically targeting slot 3 and slot 5 weapons (with one exception, see below) since those ammo pools are a bit less varied. 20 gauge shotguns are getting slugs which overall are slightly weaker than if all pellets hit in a standard shell, but it pierces armor significantly better. I'm still split on what to add for 12 gauge shells, currently considering either dragonbreath shells to flambe your foes, flechette shells that are a bit weaker but pierce armor, or 000 buckshot which has fewer pellets, but they're much stronger. The crossbow is also getting new ammo types, two of them in fact: An electric bolt that stuns fleshy enemies and deals extra damage to robotic enemies, and an explosive bolt. Gonna throw in hollow point bullets for .357 weapons which would be significantly stronger than the standard round, but would fare much worse against armor. 40mm grenade weapons will also gain incendiary rounds, and I'm contemplating adding plasma shells for the 20mm cannon.

I've got a metric dickload of cool shit planned for version 2.0, and I can't guarantee that any of it will make the final cut. It all just depends on my ability to effectively code it in without actually knowing anything about coding lol. If you folks have any fun ideas for suggestions on neat stuff or improvements to throw in, be sure to leave a comment. Can't make any promises, of course. If any of you would like to throw in your hat to help me get this shit done, feel free to toss me a PM here on the forums. I'd be more than happy to take in all the help I can get!
CaptainNurbles

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods